What Cat Litter are You Using?

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone- I am looking for a new cat litter- we have a kitten that is just getting over worms and our house is getting smelly. can anyone reccomend a good cat litter that absorbs odor and inexpensive?

Thanks!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm...I've actually found that World's Best Cat Litter has earned it's stripes (and it's name) as far as odor control, clumping, and the amount of time it lasts goes. It's on teh pricey side, but it lasts over a month with just one kittens, it doesn't have that nasty perfumey scent and it doesn't create a mushroom cloud of dust when you pour it into the box. I've always added a coupld cups of baking soda to the box no matter which litter I use. I also have found that the litter met I use traps the WBCL better than it trapped any other litter.

Exquisicat Unscented was ok and dirt cheap. It was just extremely dusty and tracked a lot...but it was good with odor.

Also, WBCL is safe for your kitten to use. Kittens should not be using regular clumping litter because of their tendency to eat it. WBCL is just ground up corn husks.

mrspotts66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i was a World's Best user...loved it for a year or so.

then, i lost my job and needed something on the less $$$ end of the spectrum.

i'm now using PetSmart's house brand (Exquisicat) of unscented clumping litter, and i've found that it clumps harder and faster...which means less "crumbs" from broken clumps.
it also does a really nice job of controlling odor (we have two furbabies), which is really nice, since the litterboxes are in the laundry room, in the FOYER.

i haven't had any problem with dust or tracking. if anything, the dust is LESS that WBL. and for some reason, the cats seem to be kicking less of it out of the boxes. go figure.

i caught it on sale - $9.99 for a 40lb box.

i do agree, though. if your kitten is still a baby, stick with a non-clumping litter (or WBL) until he/she is older.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Jonny Cat Scoop. It's a clumping litter and it has a nice floral scent that my cats seem to like. It's a fine texture though, like sand, so it tracks. I'm forever sweeping my bathroom floor because it feels like a beach, hehe.

I buy the 8Kg bag and that lasts me almost 2 weeks (10 to 12 days depending how active my cats are in there) for 2 cats, at which time it's very low and I do a complete disinfecting and litter change.

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now I am using Feline Pine. I love that it turns to saw dust when the cats pee...and Inever smell urine. Its just that when they poop THEY STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN and it needs to be scooped out IMMEDIATLY, but this is with everyother cat litter i have tried too ( fresh step, Worlds best, Arm and hammer) I have 3 cats and one being a 7w kitten with worms and is being treated and has mooshy smelly poop right now.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am back to WBCL after a period of trying a cheaper clay litter (Arm & Hammer Unscented). The clay litter did a good job with odor control and clumping, but it was very very dusty and I was coughing when I cleaned it, so I figured my little kitty was getting it worse when she was digging. She also had some tummy issues lately and since she has thick, longish fur I didn't like the idea of her ingesting any of the clay litter cleaning herself. WBCLcosts a lot but does a great job, it is completely safe, and lasts a long time. Kitty loves it.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a newer cat mommy.. We now have 3 babies.. 1 small kitten and 2 larger kittens. We tried Tidy Cat Multi Cat Formula, we hated it.. Doesn't clump good, the beads didn't attach good to either the pee or poop. I really really like Scoop Away. The thing about it the sandy like litter,, and it absorbs quickly and doesn't allow very much break away.... I go with the smell good fresh scent, because it really smells better then poop or pee smell.

Just my thoughts,, i can see paying a ton of money on Cat Litter... All the higher brands I've bought turned out not to be soo good... As for tracking the sandy like litter through the house,, doesn't happen. I have a small rug in front of the litter box,, it was like .85 cents at Walmart or something. And it works great!!!!! Really great!!!

There's my thoughts...
Heather

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone for all of your feedback- you ladies are great!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sold on WBCL, even though its expensive, it clumps well, has good odour control, isn't too dusty and lasts ages so isn't as expensive as it seems as you buy less per month

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also use Fresh Step mainly because that what my kitten's foster home used. It is excellent as far as clumping and odor control. It does have a "carbon-y" scent and he does track it into my hallway. I buy it in the 40lb tub at Costco so it is a very good value.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use chicken feed... it the best I have used for the price

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
out of the ones ive tried i like special kitty clumping the best, its also the cheapest. its not perfumey at all and keeps my apartment smelling great.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Swheat Scoop and I have to say that I LOVE it. But then again, it's the only thing I've used other than clay (we recently switched to Swheat Scoop a couple of months ago). But even though it's new and I'm enthralled by it, it's pretty obvious that I'm not biased. There's NO smell anywhere, either from the litter itself or the poop/pee (well, when Molly poops, it's a different story, but it has nothing to do with the litter, lol). The litter clumps great; it doesn't clump as fast or hard as clay but it gets the job done (why would you want a rock when just a semi-hard mound does just fine?). Plus, it's flushable, which is saving a lot of labour for my back. Even when I dump the old used litter in a bag and take it outside, I can notice a difference. The clay was HEAVY but this Swheat Scoop is so light in comparison, and I use the same amount as I used for clay!

People have complained that Swheat Scoop glues pee to the bottom of the box and you have to use a jackhammer to free it. I haven't found that problem unless I've let the box stay unscooped for more than a day or so. If you aren't going to be diligent about keeping the box clean, then you deserve the extra effort of freeing the poor pee! lol

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am 100% sold on Worlds Best, yet it is a bit on the expensive side. A 17 lb bag lasts me 1-2 months. It is amazing, clumps wonderfully, very low dust, and since it is made from corn you dont have to worry if they happen to eat any of it. I watched a guy(a sales employee from WBCL) at a pet show eat some of the litter. I thought he was crazy. I brought home a small bag for free and fell in love. As for tracking, just use a mat in front of the litter box and PRESTO it solves that. The only downfall is if you kitty is an excessive digger in the litterbox, they tend to come out with some yellow dust on their feet and leave nice lil footprints on anything they come in contact with. One more great thing about WBCL, if you save I think it is 9 UPC's from the litter bags, send them into the company and they will send you $28(or something close to that) in coupons. That is a free bag of cat litter right there.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Frsh Step and Scoop Away. Really like the FS better, though. Clumps grat, doesn't smell real horrible specially if you have an unaltered male cat.

I used to love World's Best until my one girl got an allergy to it. Now she only uses the Fresh Step litter box.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use crystals, been using it for years. I like it because the crystals absorb the pee and keep the odor inside, there is minimal tracking, and minimal dust, and also I have to check my cats' urine ph regularly and the crystals are great because it takes a few minutes for it to absorb the pee so I can get in there with a dipstick and get the ph before the crystals soaks it up.