cat sick (litterally) with jelously!!

kerri1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i dont no if anyone can help me but i got a new puppy bout a month ago but whenever my 1 year old cat sees it ether playing with people or with its toys she is litterally sick? its like a see though sick? like spit? its so unusal, im not sure what im meant to do about it, i feel bad for her, i cant even have them in the same room as she also goes for the dog if it approches her? shes never been a nice cat always scratchs people if they touch her but this is just wierd! can anyone help???

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not jealous, she's scared out of her mind! Dogs are natural enemies of cats and while your dog may be unthreatening, and even want to play (in a dog way), she's just not ready to have it 'thrust' on her, in her territory, etc. It wasn't the nicest thing to do to her - she was there first. Maybe someone else will have an answer.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Give her loads of attention. See to that she have a few safe places where the dog cannot reach her. Don't let the dog approach her and place the litter-box and her catfood where she can eat and pee in private without having to pass the dog or get disturbed by him. It will take time. It the puppy is curious and want to play with the cat - teach him that that is strictly forbidden. She needs to see that you are on her side.
I have had cats and dogs together with success but I've always avoided to introduce a puppy to a grown cat if the cat is not very used to dogs. It is easier the other way around. It can still work out well but it will take a long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kerri1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanx for your replies, her food is in kitchen where dog dont go and her bed etc is in our bed room so she does have space away from dog, but i just wonder if they'll ever get on. one of you said it wasnt the nicest things i could of done but i didnt no she would react like that, shes been brought up around dogs so i thought she would be used to them. there must be a way to stop her feeling this way bout the dog and being sick?? its upsetting that shes turned like this, i feel really sorry for her, just wish there was something i could do!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any chance at all that she is just sick coincidentally? I'd at least tell the vet what's happening and see what they say.. they may have some good ideas to share.

kerri1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
dont think there is as she only does it when dog plays with toys? she dont even do it when the dogs not playing, its just so wierd, i now have to put the dog to bed in her crate early so i can spend a bit of time with her, today i brought them both treats, i gave the cat hers first then i gave the dog hers then the cat looked at the dog and was sick? gonna phone vet tomo but they never much help!! they always put of seeing her too as i think they think i worry other nothing as i took her to vet before thinking she was ill but she just wanted a male if you no what i mean!!! and she also scratches them everytime!!!! and is very very hard to get in and out of carrier!!! do you no anything about feliway??

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this cat not spayed?
If not, that could have a bit of something to do with her temperamental attitude.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kerri1985

i dont no if anyone can help me but i got a new puppy bout a month ago but whenever my 1 year old cat sees it ether playing with people or with its toys she is litterally sick? its like a see though sick? like spit? its so unusal, im not sure what im meant to do about it, i feel bad for her, i cant even have them in the same room as she also goes for the dog if it approches her? shes never been a nice cat always scratchs people if they touch her but this is just wierd! can anyone help???
Do you mean she is vomitting clear liquid or is she spitting ?

If she is spitting, some cats do this when they are extremely upset.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like she just doesn't like the dog, period, and very stressed about it. However, I, too have experienced this this year, and it has resolved itself
. Meggie spent about 2-3 months in the sunroom, on top of the filecabinet (literally!), to stay away from our new dog ( the other 3 rolled their eyes and said "When is she leaving?" for about a month- well, except Butterbean, who looked at her and said "MY house, you stupid dog!"
) Anyways, this was after having another dog (who passed away) her whole life. We were even afraid she was going to run away, because she is indoor/outdoor, and didn't come home one night, and then didn't want to come in. Needless to say, she became an indoor cat for a while! I was REALLY worried about what I was going to do! Then, suddenly it seemed, she was fine, and rubbed and loved on the dog, and here they are now:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/bdp2MeggieandMattieJuly06006.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/CSrmegandmataug06004.jpg
(these are "clickable thumbnails")

And I know that our Boxer seems grown, but Boxers don't full mature physically until 2, and mentally until 3 or 4 yrs, so we were dealling with a 60 lb puppy trying to get our cats to play with her
! Just give her lots of Special Attention, and see if that helps (treats away from the puppy, etc.) I hope it gets better soon! I think part of Meggie's problem was she was mad about us replacing her dog- she mourned our Corgi for a long time, and we waited a year, but maybe she was upset- I just don't know.

kerri1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, no she is not spayed, maybe that could help? i was wanting to bread her so she could have her own litter as i thought that would be nice? do you reckon this could calm her down? and she aint spitting she is being sick but it looks like spit, she tries to stop it and just chews as shes doing it, she really cant help it, also do any of you no anything bout feliway? could this help? thanx for all your replies. at the moment the cats sitting nicely on her radiater bed but shes eyeing the dog up!!!!!

kerri1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
www.catster.com/?363349 actually that one was wrong, this ones right. mollys just been sick again she was sitting on her radiater bed watching the dog and the dog started playing with her toys, then molly was sick, but now she back to normal cleaning herself!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

hi, no she is not spayed, maybe that could help? i was wanting to bread her so she could have her own litter as i thought that would be nice? do you reckon this could calm her down? and she aint spitting she is being sick but it looks like spit, she tries to stop it and just chews as shes doing it, she really cant help it, also do any of you no anything bout feliway? could this help? thanx for all your replies. at the moment the cats sitting nicely on her radiater bed but shes eyeing the dog up!!!!!
I saw her picture, what a beautiful girl Molly is !!!! The very best thing you can do for her is to have her spayed. There are NUMEROUS health reasons for her and many other social reasons, as well. It will also calm her, too.

kerri1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hiya, would you say getting her spayed would calm her down more then having kittens? shes only just been sick again, seems impossible to have them in same room together.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

hiya, would you say getting her spayed would calm her down more then having kittens? shes only just been sick again, seems impossible to have them in same room together.
Kittens will not calm her down. She may even get more nervous having kittens. Spaying without a doubt will calm her down.

I would recommend letting your cat have her space away from the dog for now. I actually have a cat (Kiko) when he gets into extremely stressful situations he will vomit clear "spit". When he has to go to the vets and once before when I had a visitor to my house that did not like cats, for some reason made Kiko very uneasy and he actually vomitted the clear "spit" onto this visitors luggage and his clothes on the bed. And when my guests left, Kiko was completely fine again. None of my other cats have done this and Kiko has only done this under extreme stressed situations for him. So I have to take special precautions in keeping him away from those stresses.

kerri1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanx for your help, i will be getting her spayed now.what your cat did is the same thing molly does. she must feel really scared of the dog, its a shame really coz i was hoping they would get on really well.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

thanx for your help, i will be getting her spayed now.what your cat did is the same thing molly does. she must feel really scared of the dog, its a shame really coz i was hoping they would get on really well.
I think spaying her will be the greatest thing you can do for her...Im really glad you decided to do that.

Keeping her away from the dog since she seems to be stressed by him doesnt mean forever. Just do it for short periods during the day (after she is spayed). Let her get used to him for a few hours then separate. And continue doing that until she becomes more and more comfortable. She will let you know when she isnt comfortable and at that time separate until the next time. It can work, it just may take a lot of patience.

Please keep us updated. Especially for when she is scheduled to be spayed. I think you will find an attitude adjustment with her, just from that.

kerri1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you , i will let you no how it goes!! anyone with more sugestions please leave message