New Food! Cross your paws and fingers!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, today I was milling about a new dog boutique in the neighborhood called "Dog-a-holics". And in dog-a-holics, they have a Cat-a-holics section as well. Well, being a dog store, they carry the full Evanger's line. Now, I have been nothing but impressed with Evanger's canned cat food. It's inexpensive (possibly because the factory is about 30 minutes outside of Chicago), my extremely picky male cat will finially eat wet food thanks to them, and my healthy cats haven't had any issues with it so far. They look great, they've been healthy, etc.

Well, until now they never had any totally grain free food, which I absolutely need for Raphael who has IBD. The only grain they normally use is brown rice, which I'm told is the grain that cats can process with the fewest problems. But, when I was at this store today, I found a brand new food they made that is being released in Chicago right now, before it gets widely released. Anyway, it's Organic Turkey and Butternut Squash dinner. It has no grains and the only veggie it has is butternut squash. I've been using Wellness, which improved Raphie's IBD somewhat (along with Vitamin B12 therapy), but he continues to have diarrhea pretty regularly. I've been looking for something poultry-based with organ meats, no grains and as few veggies as possible. The top ingredients in this little guy are Organic turkey, organic turkey broth, organic turkey liver, organic butternut suash. And then it goes into all the vitamin supplements with long names that I can't pronounce.

So, I'm hoping 2 things:
1. Evanger's in fact releases this widely as they say they're going to.

2. Raphie can tolerate it and we don't have to go raw. I already gave him a dollop of it, which he ate.

Now, I have a lot of respect for raw feeders, but I'd rather exhaust every commerical option I have before going so far as to prep food myself. There's still a lot of conflicting reports on the issue and a lot of confusion and a lot of research involved in doing it right. I'll go that route for Raphie it comes to that, but I want to make sure I've tried all of the grainless, fish-free, beef-free, and not-so-veggie-heavy food there are out there. And prepared raw is out because they put so many veggies and fruits in there. IMO, not too much different from feeding a top quality canned.

So, good vibes for Raphie's poor little intestines! May they tolerate this food!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope it works.. if it doesnt you have plan b and I know many of us would give you lots of help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I hope it works.. if it doesnt you have plan b and I know many of us would give you lots of help
Would you be willing to PM me some raw recipes and tips and tricks and precautions so I can start looking into this?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I would ... I actually am facing a similiar situation as you and am asking for help

I will try to get them to you by tomarrow... off to work I must go