TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Death Penalty: Yea or Nay?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Death Penalty: Yea or Nay? - Page 3

post #61 of 76
I agree with booktigger, the UK seems to have a problem with life meaning life, or meaning anything at all. I read once about a driver who knocked down and killed a 5yr old girl and was fined £50 with a 2year probation or something pitiful like that. Everyone seems to be released less than halfway into their sentences for good behaviour. I don't Care if they are nice to the guards and say please and thankyou, I want them locked up for the full term of their punishment!
post #62 of 76
I'm for the death penality. I'm sorry, but someone who has visciously murdered innocent children and families should not get to live 50+ years off of my hard earned money and enjoy TV, a Gym, full health care benifits that most working folks who have never murdered don't even get, full corse meals several times a day, a bed to sleep in, electricity...i could go on. Nor do i think they should be re-released into the public after 5 yrs because of "good behavior"! That's insane!! I say an "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." If someone murders- they have the right to a fair trial- if after that trial is over and they are sentenced to death- then I think it should be carried out in the appropriate setting and place according to our judicial system. I live in Memphis,TN - it is a city with one of the highest murder rates in the US- it seems like every day on the news someone else has been killed....it's soo sad. In the past two weeks alone- several children have been killed as well as adults- that's just unacceptable. The judicial system needs to change! Cops work hard to put people behind bars and keep the streets clean- yet the judges and jurys just release murders and rapists back onto the streets...which makes the cops have to catch the same people again and again- increases the number of crimes, and makes my city unsafe! I'm tired of this! I'm mad that I am not able to walk up and down my cove because i'm afraid I will be attacked or harmed. (I'm not shy eithor, i can wield a gun better than most men, have had self defense classes, and carry pepper spray). In my area alone there are over 213 offenders (sexual assault, sexual battery, murder, etc....) All of which are within close walking distance to my house and neighborhood schools and business! This is unacceptable! ( www.familywatchdog.us - i suggest everyone in the US use this site and make yourself aware of the threats near you...they have pictures of offenders, their addresses, what they did,etc all listed...the sad thing is- these are only the people that are registered, not the ones who ran and never registered.....Scarry huh?). I think that explains why i'm for the death penality.
post #63 of 76
And Ghandi said "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". I never understood the idea that by repeating the crime ourselves as a society we are somehow correcting a behavior. Should we rape rapists? We murder murderers, so what's the distinction? Is rape somehow so much worse of a crime that it would be wrong to do that, but it's not wrong to kill a killer, even though we seem to have deemed, in general, killing to be the only offense worthy of death.

It just seems odd that in no other aspect of sentencing is it ever an eye-for-an-eye except death sentence cases.

Also, I don't know how else to say this: The existence of the death penalty costs you more than the same criminals being in jail for life. That isn't just my opinion. But for some reason the fact that the criminals are living off of taxpayer money keeps being brought up.

Is it possible that we're willing to spend more money to have them killed than to know that they're alive?
post #64 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
And Ghandi said "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". I never understood the idea that by repeating the crime ourselves as a society we are somehow correcting a behavior. Should we rape rapists? We murder murderers, so what's the distinction? Is rape somehow so much worse of a crime that it would be wrong to do that, but it's not wrong to kill a killer, even though we seem to have deemed, in general, killing to be the only offense worthy of death.

It just seems odd that in no other aspect of sentencing is it ever an eye-for-an-eye except death sentence cases.

Also, I don't know how else to say this: The existence of the death penalty costs you more than the same criminals being in jail for life. That isn't just my opinion. But for some reason the fact that the criminals are living off of taxpayer money keeps being brought up.

Is it possible that we're willing to spend more money to have them killed than to know that they're alive?
Sorry dear- i think you misunderstood me a bit on the "eye for an eye" thing.. I didn't mean that if someone kills my sister per say- i have the right to go out and kill them back. ....I ment that if someone who commits a murder- is given a fair trial and found guilty...and as a result sentenced to death- then the death penality should be carried our according to judicial law. And as far as rapists go- i was visiciously attacked and raped when i was 17....I think he deserves to be casterated and locked up for what he did to me- no person deserves to have that done to them...Ever. Also- the existance of the death penality does not result in more money than say supporting millions of criminals for the rest of their lives. My boyfriend is a cop and we have lots of friends and family that work in the jail system and know first hand what its like.
post #65 of 76
Yet another reason i'm for the death penality! There was yet ANOTHER shooting by my duplex tonight- this time it was only one street over from me. I'm a nervous wreck! When will people stop this!!!!!! They haven't cought the guy yet. - they have helicopters and squad cars all out by my house tonight. I have all of my doors locked and my gun loaded I hate living in this city sometimes.
post #66 of 76
I am definately against the death penalty, and many of the reasons already mentioned are some of the reasons why. However, the most profound reason to me has only been barely touched upon. And that is this: you can not GUARANTEE me an innocent man will not be executed. Indeed, there are a couple cases where after the fact it turned out that the person executed probably wasnt the guilty party. That murder of an innocent man in a lynch like fashion is so condemnable to me it is not funny. I would rather have 100 known guilty murderers alive and in prison - tv, education, and all - than have our so called civilized society murder an innocent person. So long as there is a chance of that mistake ever being made, imo, the death penalty should not exist. You can not start making exceptions for "really bad murderers", that is such a slippery slope - just who do we decide has the power to choose who is "really bad"?
No one person, no panel of people, no system of justice has the right or honest ability to make that call.
post #67 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Sorry dear- i think you misunderstood me a bit on the "eye for an eye" thing.. I didn't mean that if someone kills my sister per say- i have the right to go out and kill them back. ....I ment that if someone who commits a murder- is given a fair trial and found guilty...and as a result sentenced to death- then the death penality should be carried our according to judicial law. And as far as rapists go- i was visiciously attacked and raped when i was 17....I think he deserves to be casterated and locked up for what he did to me- no person deserves to have that done to them...Ever. Also- the existance of the death penality does not result in more money than say supporting millions of criminals for the rest of their lives. My boyfriend is a cop and we have lots of friends and family that work in the jail system and know first hand what its like.

I don't think I misunderstood. I don't see the difference in you going out and killing them and our government doing it. If anything I'd rather the people actually affected went out and killed the person who did their family harm. Now it's just the government killing by proxy so that society as a whole can have justice, and nobody, not a single person, actually feels better on account of it. There's just another dead body. I guess maybe I don't understand how death can equate to justice, unless you believe that everyone who murders will go to hell, but that shouldn't have anything to do with law.

Please look at the link I provided earlier about the cost of the death penalty. It does cost more. Significantly more.

My point with the rape conviction is that I don't see how we can say that the worst crime there is is murder, and so a murderer deserves to be killed, but then say that the second worst crime is rape (I think to most people that's true, maybe I'm wrong) but they deserve a life sentence in prison. Why don't we give them the same as they gave, if that is what our justice system is supposed to do? I don't think anyone should be raped either (having been, multiple times, when I was 8) but my point is that jail and trials and whatnot are supposed to provide justice and punishment, not retribution and vengeance, and it only seems fair that someone be in prison for life rather than being put out of their misery, also commiting the same crime albeit sanctioned makes us on the same level as them.

What are we saying, "you aren't allowed to murder, unless you're a person who is allowed to kill murderers?". If murder is wrong, it's wrong. Same thing. You wouldn't wish rape on anyone, but you would wish their death? If killing someone is the worst thing to do... maybe I just don't get it. But if murder is so wrong, then that should also be a punishment we wouldn't wish on anybody.

Yes, I do believe murder and killing are wrong. I think that human life is sacred, and nobody should be permitted to end another. That includes our government. Otherwise, you're just saying that ending another life is wrong unless you're allowed to.
post #68 of 76
I am all for it
post #69 of 76
Do people really need to feel so strongly about this subject? I mean even in Texas (the state that is most pro capital punishment) they are beginning to taper off capital punishment for financial reasons.

I don't think Texas ever executed anybody for treason.

I think in a couple of decades capital punishment would still remain in the laws, since society feels better about having such options for serial murders....but in practice it would be rarely implemented. I am against capital punishment, but I am unwilling to abolish it altogether.

I feel a little better knowing that we still have the option of capital punishment just in case we have the Juarez killers moving up north and murdering hundreds of teenage women.

There have been many states that have the capital punishment options, but rarely if ever execute people.
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Do people really need to feel so strongly about this subject?
Yes, it is people's right to have an opinion. Whether or not the death penalty is actually used or not, it is still there by law, and only the opinions of people electing representatives can change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Februa
However, the most profound reason to me has only been barely touched upon. And that is this: you can not GUARANTEE me an innocent man will not be executed
That is exactly the reason that I would not agree to it, while part of me thinks that we should not spend the rest of our lives paying for criminals to sit in jail, there is just too many cases of innocent people being punished by law for me to ever agree to it
post #71 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Anti-death penalty

1) It costs more to have someone on death row and execute them than it does to have them living their natural life in prison.

2) Criminals would rather receive the death penalty than life in prison without parole.

3) Two wrongs don't make a right. How can we say murder is wrong, but then murder someone as punishment?

I also think our prisons are too nice, but at the same time I think people have a really strange idea about what our prisons are like. I personally don't mind that prisoners are allowed to read or go outside for an hour a day, because making them all go totally insane in solitary makes the situation more dangerous for corrections officers.

Also, they should be allowed to get an education if they will be released, because otherwise they have no skills and just go straight back to a life of crime. I'm talking of course about petty thieves and such, of course, for whom the purpose of prison is supposed to be rehabilitation.

It's also a little disconcerting to see the statistics of exactly who gets what punishment. If a white woman and a black man commit identical crimes, say capital murder, in the same state, at the same time, the white woman is probably not even getting life in prison, while the black man is much much much more likely to get either the death penalty or life without parole.

I don't understand a punishment that is not applied evenly.

Could NOT have said it better myself. I totally see where the supporters of the death penalty are coming from but until we have a perfect system that never executes innocent people my opinion still stands. Even then what happened to forgiveness? I guess I just have too much faith in people. I do believe people can change. What some people do to other people sickens me and angers me and sometimes I want to do back to people what they do to others but I don't think it's the right thing to do. I am not christian or anything but I love life. I never ever want to die and I just think that life is something too big to take away from someone, ever for any reason. Even if they've taken someone else's life.

I'm sure someone has already said this but has anyone seen "The Life of David Gale"? Good, good movie. It gave me a lot to think about on this topic.
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
I don't think I misunderstood. I don't see the difference in you going out and killing them and our government doing it. If anything I'd rather the people actually affected went out and killed the person who did their family harm. Now it's just the government killing by proxy so that society as a whole can have justice, and nobody, not a single person, actually feels better on account of it. There's just another dead body. I guess maybe I don't understand how death can equate to justice, unless you believe that everyone who murders will go to hell, but that shouldn't have anything to do with law.

Please look at the link I provided earlier about the cost of the death penalty. It does cost more. Significantly more.

My point with the rape conviction is that I don't see how we can say that the worst crime there is is murder, and so a murderer deserves to be killed, but then say that the second worst crime is rape (I think to most people that's true, maybe I'm wrong) but they deserve a life sentence in prison. Why don't we give them the same as they gave, if that is what our justice system is supposed to do? I don't think anyone should be raped either (having been, multiple times, when I was 8) but my point is that jail and trials and whatnot are supposed to provide justice and punishment, not retribution and vengeance, and it only seems fair that someone be in prison for life rather than being put out of their misery, also commiting the same crime albeit sanctioned makes us on the same level as them.

What are we saying, "you aren't allowed to murder, unless you're a person who is allowed to kill murderers?". If murder is wrong, it's wrong. Same thing. You wouldn't wish rape on anyone, but you would wish their death? If killing someone is the worst thing to do... maybe I just don't get it. But if murder is so wrong, then that should also be a punishment we wouldn't wish on anybody.

Yes, I do believe murder and killing are wrong. I think that human life is sacred, and nobody should be permitted to end another. That includes our government. Otherwise, you're just saying that ending another life is wrong unless you're allowed to.
Lol. I just LOVE everthing this woman has to say. I'm sorry I keep quoting you I just agree with everything you say on this topic.
post #73 of 76
Kinsey's pet and Zissou'smom- I don't think I even need to comment on this thread, you both express yourselves in such an eloquent and 'that was just what I was thinking!' kind of way that I could just keep my mouth shut.
At least until the next post I read I simply Have to comment on...
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I'm all for the death penalty. I don't like the fact that people who have murdered other people get free food and shelter for the rest of their lives, even if that means living in a box for 23 hours a day. WE pay for that. They took life with malice, they deserve to die for it.
I agree 100%
post #75 of 76
I definitely agree with Katiemae1277 & Gingersmom - you both have made some excellent points!
post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
I am very confused as to how we're rewarding someone who is in prison. If that life is a reward to them, then good god I feel sorry for them, because their life before must have been really really rotten.
I have close relatives who are employed by the penal system, and they have first-hand knowledge that prison is not the easy life that some people seem to think it is. There may be a color TV, but the prisoners don't necessarily get to watch it. The survival rates in prison are not odds that I'd care to bet on.
And, no, I don't want the death penalty. My nephew was murdered by a monster, my other nephews (his younger brothers) were tormented in school by that creep's offspring. The perpetrator is in solitary confinement for over 12 years now cuz the other prisoners have managed to put glass in his food and once poisoned him with Drano, or some other plumbing concoction. Maybe HE wishes he would be executed, but if he was, it wouldn't bring my nephew back. I only wish that his offspring could be reformed somehow so they wont be growing up to fulfill the family legacy of violent crimes against the innocent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Death Penalty: Yea or Nay?