What should I do???

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone.
Some of you may know I'm currently looking for a companion for my 12 year old girlcat, Wick. I was hoping to get a middle-aged neutered boy, since they're usually more laid back and less prone to destruction. I live in a large one bedroom apartment with my boyfriend and kitty.

A while ago I got an email from my sister, saying that a friend of hers is having to rehome his cat and her one male kitten, 3 month old Cheeto. I thought maybe someone else (it was a mass email) would adopt both, so I didn't say anything then. However, today I was browsing petfinder and noticed that little Cheeto still doesn't have a new home, and will go to the pound TOMORROW if he doesn't get a home today.
I really hadn't planned on getting a kitten, but he looks like the sweetest little thing ever. What should I do?! I emailed the guy about it, but ... we really weren't thinking of getting a kitten... School is starting for me next week and I wouldn't be home from like 11-5 every day. What to do... HELP!

ETA: here's a picture of his mom. He apparently looks just like her.

deelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
good luck with kitten
I have 3 cats mine do fine in the house
heck they sleep a lot!
lol

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would get the kitten. Otherwise it could be a waste of his life
. But it's up to you. If you were meaning to get a kitten anyway, then why not?! If it's cute, cuddly and totally adorable, get it! lol

Good Luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My heart says GET THE KITTEN but my pocketbook says neuter costs, shots, testing... I just don't know...

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask/pm Dawnofsierra/Stephanie..........she got Serenity when she was a kitten and Sierra was like 11 or so.......... I saw go for it!

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

If you can afford it and your heart says it's right, go for it!
That's the real problem. I mean, I could cut corners and everything, MAKE us able to afford it, and I did ask the guy who's adopting her out if I could get a reduced price neuter certificate, but I don't know if my boyfriend'd be keen. We kind of agreed not to get a kitten. But he hasn't seen this darling, and he doesn't know about it going to the pound.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any way that you could foster the little guy until he finds a home while you search for the right cat that fits your family? I mean, if the costs are going to be an issue, and you don't really want a kitten, then maybe it's best that you don't get one long term. (hate to be so anti-get the kitten)

How long will he have at the pound? Can you foster him for the pound? Is there another rescue or anywhere else that would take him & let you foster him?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. IF you don't think the kitten is right for you could you foster it for a while till it finds a new home?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk to your BF, have him go with you to meet the kitten and then go from there.Good luck!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest fostering it for a bit and see how he fits in with you and your family. If all goes well- adopt him...if not, rehome him.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gotta agree with the others about fostering. It will be much easier for such a cutie to find another home, but an older male must be just languishing in a cage, his poor heart yearning for you to come get him....and his options aren't so optimistic as the kitten's

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, here's an update.

I talked to several people about it, they all had this same advice. I asked my boyfriend and he said yes, we should at least give Cheeto a try. So I emailed the guy who has Cheeto and am waiting anxiously for a call from him... I tried calling him last night but he didn't answer. I'm thinking he was out all day, or something. I hope he calls tonight. I'm really getting into this idea of having a kitten.

Oh, also, I contacted a local shelter and they agreed to help me with neuter costs.

ETA: could I pleeeeease get some "help me get this kitten" vibes?

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending you the vibes for the kitten. I hope he works out for you and if he doesn't you could help him find his forever home. I would love to be able to foster kittens and cats but as of right now I can't.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are making the right choice. We wanted a male 2-3 year old cat and even had one picked out from Petfinder, but little Isabelle happened to be at our vets office and needed a home. I don't regret getting Isabelle at all, and that boy cat at the rescue found another home right away.

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks
I really hope this works out. I still haven't heard anything, I'm so worried that Cheeto's already been taken to the pound, or that the adopter guy is out of town or something

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep your chin up and hope for the best until you hear differently. Any updates???

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Cheeto's owner calls you soon. Even if Cheeto is taken to the pound would you be able to adopt him from there? They probably have a lot of cats so would be happy to know you're ready to adopt now and even have a kitty picked out. Good luck!