lost in the UK a question.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so i am in Widnes in the UK right now, last night i was out looking around,
and some guy walks over and asked me two questions,
"what clock is it" which i guess meant what time is it. cause he said thanks.

Then asked me for a fag.
i would assume he was not asking for a date,
so i just said no, and he went on his way,

So outside of the negtive use of that word here in the America what was he asking me for? I was trying to look up english slang but cant find it, this laptop i have will only allow connection to the company web portal. so when i try to search for english slang is just say not allowed.

As much as i love to travel, I SOOOOO HATE travel for work(this is my third hotel) I am all out of books to read, I dont have my own personal laptop so no world of warcraft to play(could not really bring 2 laptops with me) how i cant sleep in a hotel room. there is nothing on the TV to watch And i am not a hugh fan of bars. And no cats to play with.

i vote if they want me to travel then leave me here for at least one year before sending me off again.

I spoke to my father who said my cat was staying in the computer or my bed room, and has been crying all week

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Then asked me for a fag.
i would assume he was not asking for a date,
so i just said no, and he went on his way
The Australian and UK slang are very similar so I assume its the same there as it is here - he was asking for a cigerette

I spoke to my father who said my cat was staying in the computer or my bed room, and has been crying all week
awwwwwww poor darling. your kitty misses you

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woulda been like- excuse me? lol....It's ok- i wouldn't have had a clue what he was asking for eithor

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, my mother is scottish and she tells me all the time to go and pick up a pack of fags! (which means cigarettes)
When i learnt the australian/american version i found it so funny!
So i never find the word insulting unless i hear the persons accent

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get such a kick out of little differences in terminology like this
A couple of the funniest that come to mind are when one of our Australian friends was visiting the US and heard someone referring to how she was rooting for the football team, quite a different meaning in her country, and one that cracked me up was our UK friend standing at her door shouting to her cats "Come here, you pussies!" That wouldn't go over very well here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

The Australian and UK slang are very similar so I assume its the same there as it is here - he was asking for a cigerette

awwwwwww poor darling. your kitty misses you
Oh
hehe well in that case the answer was really No, i stopped smoking along time ago.

still cant sleep, i give up, time to go into the office anyway

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dawnofsierra;1325568"Come here said:
My wife says the same thing. first date we had we were just walking around and talking and she said "oh look at the cute little pussies for sale"
it took me a second to see she was talking about some kittens

i also get a kick out these types of things also,,
thanks for the answer

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh, you're in Widnes!
That's just down the motorway from here! I hope you're enjoying the rain and the Runcorn fog!

It made me laugh when we had a thread about differences, how 'going out to smoke a fag' is something completely different in the US than here!

How long are you having to be in the UK for? What job do you do to take you to Widnes?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they sent me here to install new network hardware. They don't have real IT people at the sites just someone they pay extra. Besides it helps us to know where the stuff is when we have to support it from the other side of the pond

hehe normally i do ok with English slang, with all the BBC shows i used to watch, i am sure i must have come accross it before, i just forgot it.
must be getting old.

I have been here since saturday, first london then here. the job is finished(as of a hour ago so i will leave tonight for Gaggenau which is in germany. I have some family near there so i look forward to at least having some real food !!!!!!
and no hotel bed
. then back home to the kitty, and my wife will be back in the states next week also

why do they call it Runcorn fog?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

What job do you do to take you to Widnes?
Could you not have persuaded them to send you somewhere more exciting than Widnes?

This thread is making me laugh. I was on a US diet/exercise forum once and they kept talking about fanny buster exercises - cracked me up as I was imagining a totally different type of exercise until I realised it just means butt over there

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

why do they call it Runcorn fog?
Because of all the plants that are there and the oil refineries!

Originally Posted by urbantigers

Could you not have persuaded them to send you somewhere more exciting than Widnes?

This thread is making me laugh. I was on a US diet/exercise forum once and they kept talking about fanny buster exercises - cracked me up as I was imagining a totally different type of exercise until I realised it just means butt over there
I was thinking the same thing!
made me think of 'Two Pints and a Packet of Crisps'!!

Ooh, that reminds me of going to Florida and the hotel giving us complimentary Fanny Packs!
Sounds like some sort of San. Pro. trial pack!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Because of all the plants that are there and the oil refineries!

I was thinking the same thing!
made me think of 'Two Pints and a Packet of Crisps'!!
Ooh, that reminds me of going to Florida and the hotel giving us complimentary Fanny Packs!
Sounds like some sort of San. Pro. trial pack!
Oh i see, that must be in the area i am in then, there are ton of plants around here.
another reason i hate to travel for business, you dont get to really see anything or get to know the people.

Thanks everyone,

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Oi!, what's wrong with our bangers and mash and fish and chips, followed by jam roly poly and custard!
nothing i love the fish and chips, and the tea, and the english beer

however first time i was ever here i had to try blood pudding.
lol no thanks i will skip that one from now one

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

And our national dish of chicken tikka masala!
Shouldn't that be Vindaloo?

Oh i see, that must be in the area i am in then, there are ton of plants around here.
another reason i hate to travel for business, you dont get to really see anything or get to know the people.
I thought you might be!

It must be quite annoying travelling for work, you don't really get the chance to actually see the things and areas that you want to!

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm being very british and sitting here with a cup of tea!

How about See Saw in the UK, which is Teeter Totter (not sure on the spelling!) in the US!