Strange behavior after eating

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lusa has a strange but cute little behavior. After she finishes eating her dinner, she'll often lightly paw the floor around the food dish a few times. She's not scratching the floor, just gently pawing it like she was wiping her paws on a napkin. I expect her to ask me for an after-dinner mint

Does anyone else's cat do this? What does it mean, if anything?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EagleEye

Lusa has a strange but cute little behavior. After she finishes eating her dinner, she'll often lightly paw the floor around the food dish a few times. She's not scratching the floor, just gently pawing it like she was wiping her paws on a napkin. I expect her to ask me for an after-dinner mint

Does anyone else's cat do this? What does it mean, if anything?
It's a normal thing for cats to do. They are "hiding" the remains for future consumption so that other cats don't find it. Cats in the wild do it all of the time.

If your kitty does it without eating it first, that usually means she doesn't like what she's been served.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it's also done when the food it placed too close to a walking path in your house. heavy traffic areas are considered untidy so they 'cover the mess' around their food to mark their food area.