Help Help! Found Two Kittens!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Brief background...

About a week ago I took a stray that had been hanging around our house to the vet for some medical care & to have a check over so we could keep her. Unfortunately, we found out she had Feline Leukemia and had her PTS. At the time she was either pregnant or had recently had kittens- vet said an x-ray was needed to know for sure but... well we didn't for obvious reasons.

Then tonight we found two baby kittens!!! They are soooo cute!!! I really think they are probably Scary's kittens. They are crying like crazy- what do I feed them? I don't have all of the stuff to make that special kitten goop and I'm not sure how old they are... I will try putting some of Maui's kitten food in with them to see if they'll eat it... I can try canned too unless you all have some other suggestion.

My next question is what do I do about the possibility of them having Fel. Leuk? Is there a way I can have them tested possibly through a rescue group for cheap and then I could foster them until they find a home? It's $30 a test from my vet and $35 (each) if they have to be put down
It's not a lot of money but at the same time it is. Plus I just went through this last week or so with Scary.

Any advice will be appreciated! Right now they are in a box and we'll be putting them in the office for the night. I will put a blanky in with them and hope they can cuddle up with it.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Sarah.
The vet will be able to tell you the age. To estimate it for now check these pictures: http://photos.yahoo.com/paulvansintjan
You have the age in weeks below each album and the red kittens are three weeks younger than the rest.
If you think they are less then six week they will need a formula for kittens as replacement for mothers milk. If they are older than three weeks you can probably make them drink it by thems self from a bawl if you show them how. Otherwise they will need to bottle fed. If they are young they might not be able to go to the littre yet. There is loads of good advises omn this page. Check these links: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78478 and http://www.kitten-rescue.com/
You will find more information in the forum Pregnant cats and kitten care.
Good luck and please keep us updated.
Any pictures?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RIP Scary

To be honest, the kittens will most likely have leukemia too if they are Scary's kittens, not only from passing it to them while in the womb, but through the milk and her cleaning them- where are you located? I take in leukemia cats, all the kitties pictured in my sig or FeLV positive. Also kittens can really not be reliably tested until 12-16 weeks. definitely keep them as far away from Maui as you can, leukemia is fairly easily spread

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is unable to take them I know a rescue for FeLV cats. They do not need to be put to sleep!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would rather not put them to sleep! I had no idea there was a FelV rescue anywhere!!

I really would love for these babies to go to a rescue- they are sooo cute and they're so young so I know they can learn to love people very easily! If it weren't for Maui I would have liked to keep these babies, not only because they are cute but because they're Scary's.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that after I posted last night I looked around online a little- and I just checked out the site you recommended, Malena- I think they are about 4 weeks old.

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww 4 weeks only? They may need KNR yet. Too bad about momma if they are that young. Are they eating alright? High quality kitten wet food is what they need, you can put KMR in it or water, warm it up. Are they a healthy weight?

Again, where do you live? Maybe we can help!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malena

Hello Sarah.
The vet will be able to tell you the age. To estimate it for now check these pictures: http://photos.yahoo.com/paulvansintjan
You have the age in weeks below each album and the red kittens are three weeks younger than the rest.
If you think they are less then six week they will need a formula for kittens as replacement for mothers milk. If they are older than three weeks you can probably make them drink it by thems self from a bawl if you show them how. Otherwise they will need to bottle fed. If they are young they might not be able to go to the littre yet. There is loads of good advises omn this page.
You may be suprised though. I found an abandoned 3 week old kitten once and he used the litter box like a pro, and ate wet food no problem. This kitten came from my uncles barn where there is about 20 years worth of inbred barn cat, so no chance he had ever had a relative indoors or litterbox trained. He just knew.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I have been giving them some of Maui's canned food- it's Wellness. They are eating it fine.

They look to be about a healthy weight- they're pretty fuzzy though so I can't see for sure. They are both feral so it's not easy to handle them.

I'm about 15-20 minutes outside of Flint, Mich. Is there a rescue nearby?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Well I have been giving them some of Maui's canned food- it's Wellness. They are eating it fine.

They look to be about a healthy weight- they're pretty fuzzy though so I can't see for sure. They are both feral so it's not easy to handle them.

I'm about 15-20 minutes outside of Flint, Mich. Is there a rescue nearby?
the rescue Jen is talking about is near Pittsburgh, PA, right? Tiger Ranch? I know of a couple other rescues, but they are in NC and Washington state, also I believe they are both full with waiting lists. I PM'd you back, if you can get them tested and they are positive I will definitely take them Sarah, poor little buggers, I'm sure the rest of my crew will get them tamed in no time!