Dry food question, slightly complex

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was feeding Bit and Scratch Pet Promise dry for quite some time, but recently Bit refused to eat it, so it's time to switch. Here's what I'm looking for, I good quality dry food that has small kibble and is easily digestible (Bit has a sensitive tummy).Also, I don't want any kind of by-products or fillers at all. Now, I'll give you some details on my boys: they are both around a year old, both are with in the weight limit for their frame type, and as of today both in excellent health. Price for the food really isn't that much of an option, because I'm an uber-obsessed furmom that wants the best for her boys. Any ideas?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By fillers what do you mean>>>???

If it is just excessive grains to meats ...
Look at
Natural Balence
Nutro( kibble is half the size it used to be)
Castor and polluck( this is grainy but decent )
Solid Gold
Califonia Natural
Innova
EVO
Evangers looks good ( girls like the wet)
Royal canin( some are so so some are great)
Wysong ( I like the au jus canned but many like there dry)

xxpunkkittenxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would go with the same. Nutro is a good food. Also, if you want to get technical about foods, and Bit's sensitive belly, i would go with Eukanuba Vet. Diet Low Residue, which is gentile with the intestinal tract, and cats enjoy it! Also, i would reccomend you go to a certicfied pet supply shop that doesn't advertise those cruddy supermarket brands, and ask the on their opiniion. Hope i helped a bit!

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only thing I find is to stay away from anything that says MEAL after a meat product, by products and anything with wheat gluten. My poor cat was dragging his but, scooting, for about 6 mos until we discovered it was wheat gluten. Since when did wild animals ever eat wheat? Hmmmm.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by felyne

The only thing I find is to stay away from anything that says MEAL after a meat product, by products and anything with wheat gluten. My poor cat was dragging his but, scooting, for about 6 mos until we discovered it was wheat gluten. Since when did wild animals ever eat wheat? Hmmmm.
WHeat is one of the top in cat allergies, butt scooting is a anal glad issue and corn is the most likly culprit and then wheat .. Chicken meal is the best protein you can get and IT IS NOT by product...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, chicken meal is not bad, its the chicken by-products to watch out for. I'd just like to suggest Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. all my babies eat it and love it, here's an ingredient list:

Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
very reasonable priced also, at Pets Supplies Plus it's $21.98 for 18 lbs

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're feeding a Pet Promise & Eagle Pack blend right now with the dry food, but they don't seem to be as energetic with the Pet Promise as they were with the straight Eagle Pack. Our local natural pet foods expert gave me some samples of Wellness dry, which the kitties really seemed to like, but I'll probably just go back to Eagle Pack due to the Omega fatty acids and acidophilus, plus the lack of hormones, antibiotics, etc.

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Innova-EVO is what we feed. It has been a really good food for our cats and is very high in protien. Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion.

Winter Hawk

aimeeinohio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the chicken soup stuff gave my kittens the WORST GAS EVER! Oh! it could knock you out.

They're on felidae kitten now and they dont like it.

I might just go back to the nutro indoor adult. and just keep feeding the the kitten canned food.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AimeeInOhio

the chicken soup stuff gave my kittens the WORST GAS EVER! Oh! it could knock you out.

They're on felidae kitten now and they dont like it.

I might just go back to the nutro indoor adult. and just keep feeding the the kitten canned food.
My one baby has a little gas, but I think its jsut his tummy, as the others don't have that problem