Dry Hands Anyone?

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have really dry hands, I use to be like really OCD about washing them. Not because of germs just because I wanted them to be moist. Little did I know I was drying them more. Anyway I constantly have lotion, and if I dont put any on my hands crack and peel and become real painful. I just got a new job, so more money! So I am in the process of looking for a hand doctor, it's gonna take awhile though.

I was wondering can any of you can rec good moisterizing lotion that helps with really dry hands. Or f any of you guys have dry hands and wanna share what you did or do to fix them!

Thanx in advance!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappyHendrix

I have really dry hands, I use to be like really OCD about washing them. Not because of germs just because I wanted them to be moist. Little did I know I was drying them more. Anyway I constantly have lotion, and if I dont put any on my hands crack and peel and become real painful. I just got a new job, so more money! So I am in the process of looking for a hand doctor, it's gonna take awhile though.

I was wondering can any of you can rec good moisterizing lotion that helps with really dry hands. Or f any of you guys have dry hands and wanna share what you did or do to fix them!

Thanx in advance!
I swear by this stuff. I know it's pricey $18.00, but it smells good and it works wonders.

http://www.aveda.com/templates/produ...=CATEGORY11003

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine get dry and cracked, in the winter time. I dip my hands in a pot of cheap cold cream (from the 99-cent store) and put on cotton "beauty gloves" at bedtime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much! I really like the idea of the hemp lotion.

But I want something to cure my hands. The tips of my fingers are all cracked its so painful! Thank you guys so much!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

My fiance had this problem a while back. I bought him the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. It worked great on him. I found it on Amazon so you can see what the bottle looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3760901

You can find it in any drug store.

I used to get really, really bad eczema (sp?) and Neutrogena was dermatologist recommended to me. Started using it years ago and not a single recurrance. It keeps the moisture in the skin, and keeps your skin REALLY soft! I highly recommend it.

Plus, although it is a bit pricey, a little goes a long way!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A pharmacist we had saw my mom's hands and said she probably had a Vitamin A deficiency. She started on a vitamin A supplement and it helped wonders. Just can't remember how much she took.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hands get really dry in the wintertime (the skin around my knuckles splits open with very little pressure), and I've been using Glysomed. It's a bit thick, so I suggest slathering it on before bedtime and putting gloves on (my mom rubs it in all the time, though, so I could just be really picky). I even use it on the terrible calluses on my feet and it works wonders on them -- it's like it fills in the cracks. I have no clue how much it costs, though -- I just steal it from my mom whenever I go home for a visit!

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I used to get really, really bad eczema (sp?) and Neutrogena was dermatologist recommended to me. Started using it years ago and not a single recurrance. It keeps the moisture in the skin, and keeps your skin REALLY soft! I highly recommend it.

Plus, although it is a bit pricey, a little goes a long way!
What is exzema(sp?) what does it look like? I am interested knowing more about it. From a personal point of view.

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

A pharmacist we had saw my mom's hands and said she probably had a Vitamin A deficiency. She started on a vitamin A supplement and it helped wonders. Just can't remember how much she took.
What did her hands look like?

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A old remedy that the lobstermen use her in Maine. They have horrid dry chapped cracked hands due to always being wet and and cold.Is to mix sugar in you hand lotion.When you put the lotion on your hands put a pinch of sugar in it and rub into your hands. It really does help alot.Sugar was and still is used to help heal bed sores. They used it years ago and its now being used again as sugarhas healing properties.Try it I think it might help. B-12 deficiency also causes very dry skin.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappyHendrix

What is exzema(sp?) what does it look like? I am interested knowing more about it. From a personal point of view.
Here's a link to a site that has info: http://www.elidel.com/info/diagnosin....jsp?checked=y

On me, it starts as an itch, but a crazy-can't-stop-scratching-it itch. (This is formally called Itch-Scratch-Itch Syndrome) Then the skin breaks out into teeny little blisters that look like bubbles, and I mean they are TEENY. THey burst open, the eczema spreads, and it's just miserable.

I would get it on my elbows and upper arms, on my shins and in the palms of my hands and sides of my fingers. That was over 10 years ago - as long as I use the Neutrogena every day, it never comes back.

I tried switching to cocoa butter once, and the eczema came back, so I went right back to the Neutrogena (I use the Emulsion formula) and it went away again and is completely under control.

I also used to have a problem with the skin on my fingers chapping and cracking, but since using the Neutrogena, I don't have that problem any more at all.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have really dry arms, and use Aquaphor. It's really thick and gooey - it's the sort of stuff you would want to put on at night, and then wear cotton gloves to help keep it on.

Sounds a bit girly I know, but hopefully it will help!

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

A old remedy that the lobstermen use her in Maine. They have horrid dry chapped cracked hands due to always being wet and and cold.Is to mix sugar in you hand lotion.When you put the lotion on your hands put a pinch of sugar in it and rub into your hands. It really does help alot.Sugar was and still is used to help heal bed sores. They used it years ago and its now being used again as sugarhas healing properties.Try it I think it might help. B-12 deficiency also causes very dry skin.
Wow that is really interesting. It doesn't make your hands sticky or anything?

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Here's a link to a site that has info: http://www.elidel.com/info/diagnosin....jsp?checked=y
I also used to have a problem with the skin on my fingers chapping and cracking, but since using the Neutrogena, I don't have that problem any more at all.
Do they sell that at target? Thats exactly my fingers, now that I think about it my sister had exzema cause she WAS allergic to eggs. I dont think I have her/your version, I thought maybe there was different version.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

B-12 deficiency also causes very dry skin.
I did not know that, and I'm B12 deficient!
Guess that explains the skin-splitting in January, huh?