Help...thin Kitty

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all im new here

i have 3 kittens who i rescued, one female(approx 4mnths old) and 2males (3mnths old) who are brothers

one of the males Tigger is very thin....when i got him he was fat and Sparky his bro was thin n scrawny now its the opposite, Sparky is like a truck now and Tigger is all bones.

He eats ok, he is bouncy and lively, he had an upset tummy more than a mnth ago but is all better now and has the best poo out of the three of them

i just dont know what to do...the vet said he is fine but i am positive he is too too thin

can anyone tell me what it can possibly be

im so worried im starving him even though i know i am not but looking at him just makes me want to cry because he is such a cutie if anything bad happened to him i would be devestated

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the worm check and also something to think about, is Sparky eating all the food and not leaving any for Tigger? usually kittens are pudgy, and as they grow up, their bodies change. My Ismene is the skinniest little thing, her sister is twice as big as her, and my kittens, who are almost 3 months younger than her, weigh MORE than her. She's just a very slight, small kitty.... eats like a horse, cause i watch her, she just is skinny. Maybe Tigger is the same way?

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think worms. And even if your vet said he was fine. Health can change and he may have a health problem that he didn't have when he was checked. I would take him back if hes that thin..Are you sure hes eating enough?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he has been dewormed...

i feed him separately so no one stealing his food

give him whiskers tinned food 3times/day and small amt of dry munchies as well ....

he eats slowly but ok and has lots of water 2

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is any of the food you are feeding him kitten food. I've always fed my kittens kitten food until they were about a year old. Kittens' growth and development need extra protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals to get the right start in life.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fefe76

he has been dewormed...

i feed him separately so no one stealing his food

give him whiskers tinned food 3times/day and small amt of dry munchies as well ....

he eats slowly but ok and has lots of water 2
Hmmm that sounds like a decent amount of food, maybe he's just skinny like my Iz, some cats are just built like that. He may have some oriental breed, like Siamese, in his background

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
his mummy is half siamese....so maybe he just built that way is what u reckon?
how come his brother is a lil tank then...prob takes after daddy

xxpunkkittenxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if you are worried about how skinny your cat i, feed him/or her separately, and go to the vet and pick up maximum calorie eukanuba vet diet. Feed him/her 1/4 of a can 1 time a day separate from other cats, and if he/she did not finish all of it, replace it in the fridge for later on. The calories make cats pudgier, and is complyable with dogs too!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fefe76

his mummy is half siamese....so maybe he just built that way is what u reckon?
how come his brother is a lil tank then...prob takes after daddy
We have the same situation with Bijou and Mika. Mika was the runt of the litter and is very tiny and slim at around 8 lbs. Bijou on the other hand was over 16 lbs. I changed their diet to more wet than dry food and Bijou has lost some weight and is looking slimmer.

Mika eats far more than Bijou (she prefers dry and he prefers wet) and still is small. The vet says they are both healthy so I guess it's like people - some are small and other not.

If you are really concerned, have your vet check out your kitty and if the vet feels it could gain some weight, perhaps give her kitten formula (obviously you'll have to feed her separately so her brother doesn't get kitten food).

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank u all for yr help

as for the food the prob is i am in Pakistan and we only seem to get a few brands here and they r available sometimes and not at others which is annoying

the kitten specific type of foods are so hard to find that i have had to give in and start them on adult whiskers wet food (which they all gobble up) and Me-O adult munchies (which they also gobble up)

the vet didnt seem to worried about tigger when he saw him last but he is up for another shot soon so when i take him i will double check

i think he is looking a bit rounder since i feed him more than the other 2 now and in a separate room...tigger gets wet food 3 times/day + munchies the others get wet food once/day + munchies

again thanks for the help these forums r wonderful and u r all so helpful