Hair dye emergency

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need help. This morning I coloured my hair, using a dye and brand I have used many times with no problems. But when I looked in the mirror after combing it I saw that it has left a brown ring around my forehead! I followed all instructions and carefully washed my face etc. I have tried ordinary soap, dish soap and white spirit and can't get it off. This would not be so bad, in an ordinary way, but tonight I am meeting a guy for the first time, with whom I have been corresponding online for some months! Please, please, does anyone have any ideas what I can use? I can't cancel the date as he is on his way from the UK.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dab some makeup remover on a cotton ball and see if that works. If not I will make an emergency call to my salon to see what they use.

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
auw jees. what a nightmare. don't panic DON'T PANIC!!!
i know how to prevent this from happening...but hhmm....let me see what i can come up with...
after a google search..i read "toothpaste never fails" worth a try?! (it doesn't work for everyone but it is one of the top things for removing dye)
there are some hair dye removers out here...maybe nip out to the pharmacy?
it was suggested, in the shower, to rub some of the leftover dye (if you've got any left over) as you would soap in a circular motion then rinse well...
you could also use Baking Soda and Dishwashing Liquid....

~shrug~

let me now how you get on...if i find anything else out i'll let you know...

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hydrogen peroxide works well, also. For future reference, prior to coloring your hair, put a thin layer of petroleum jelly along your hairline and on your ears - this prevents staining your skin.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, Jenny! Things like this always happen at the worst time, don't they?

I normally use either baby wipes or some cotton wool with a blob of shampoo on it!

I hope it comes off quickly and easily for you!

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I get stains from couloring my ebrows I take a hard nailbrush and dishwashing detergent and brush hard. it always goes away. yes it hurts and yes it will be red for a while. If it still is at least five hours to the date you dare to try it.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work at a salon, and we use Windex on cotton balls. It works amazingly well. One of the older stylists swears by cigarette ashes mixed with saliva. It sounds yucky, but it works for her.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I work at a salon, and we use Windex on cotton balls.
"Put windex on it!"
Sorry, that just gave me movie flashbacks.

Anyway... they sell hair dye remover. Not the bleach stuff you use to take dye out of your hair... its in a bottle and sort of a gel that you use with a cotton ball... takes the stuff right off skin. But if I remember correctly, one of the main ingredients in that is rubbing alcohol, so you can try that on a cotton ball and see if that works.

I dye my hair blue black and the dye remover helps get it off my skin anywhere I miss with petroleum jelly.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Hint try putting vaseline just around your hairline before you put your color on, that way the color can't stain your skin
Also for anyone who is troubled by burning when you apply the color put a little sweet and low in the color before applying

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lot of different ideas! I did try the windex (or a different brand of window cleaner) and that has helped quite a bit. I had to go out this afternoon and don't have time now to go to a pharmacy. Since I don't often use makeup I don't have makeup remover. I have brushed my hair forward and my friend says it doesn't show, so I will have to hope. I really don't understand it - I have used that brand before for years with no problem. Next time, it is definitely the Vaseline around the hairline. Thanks guys for your quick responses.

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

What a lot of different ideas! I did try the windex (or a different brand of window cleaner) and that has helped quite a bit. I had to go out this afternoon and don't have time now to go to a pharmacy. Since I don't often use makeup I don't have makeup remover. I have brushed my hair forward and my friend says it doesn't show, so I will have to hope. I really don't understand it - I have used that brand before for years with no problem. Next time, it is definitely the Vaseline around the hairline. Thanks guys for your quick responses.
very welcome! i'm sure you look fab!

best of luck on your date!

me

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck. I have a date, with a new guy, this evening, too but, I colored MY hair, two weeks ago (I DID buy a new top and shade of mascara, though).

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't keep us in suspense any longer

Did he notice? Was he nice? Did you have a good time?

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did it go?! For future reference, apparently fairy liquid strips dye out of hair.... Probably does the same for skin!