fixing female cats

788accidents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, my mom has been thinking about fixing our cat, does anyone know any veterianians in toronto? better if its around bathurst and steels and if you could the cost of fixing a female cat but i wouldnt mind

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I highly recommend spaying your cat, that is great that your mom is planning to do it. She will be much happier, less annoying and a lot less likely to get cancer and diseases when she is older. Anyways, I would go here: http://www.abbeycats.org/about.htm

And contact them through email or by phone and ask about low cost spay clinics in your area. I thnk they would probably be able to help you find one.

Good luck and great job on getting your cat spayed! She will thank you!

You can also call call 1-800-248-SPAY and see if they have recommendations for Canada too. I don't have specified if they are US only. But it woulodn't hurt to call and see.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a ton of vets in Toronto in your area. You can find them in the phone book or by searching canada411.com. I suggest you call several vets and compare prices -- in my neighborhood a spay ranged from $250 - $600. Then, before making a decision based on cost, I'd visit the vet office to ensure it was definitely somewhere I'd be comfortable having my cat fixed.

The City of Toronto runs a low-cost spay/neuter program (info below), but you should know that sometimes the waiting list can be extremely long so I'd call them ASAP.

Two spay/neuter clinics at the following locations:

West Region
146 The East Mall
416-338-6271

Central Region
2696 Eglinton Ave. W.
416-338-6281

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

in my neighborhood a spay ranged from $250 - $600.

WOW! $250-600? For a spay!? Where do you live? No wonder people don't want to get their pets spayed if it costs that much. I can't believe it!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

WOW! $250-600? For a spay!? Where do you live? No wonder people don't want to get their pets spayed if it costs that much. I can't believe it!
With the currency conversion, it isn't quite that much, but still quite a bit - $180 - $540 USD. But 3 years ago when we had Ophelia spayed it cost almost $400 here in Colorado. It varies a LOT by region!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are on a budget animal rescue offers low cost spaying options. That sounds way too high, no matter what the conversion rate.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!
in my neighborhood a spay ranged from $250 - $600.
There is NO way I could afford to pay that kind of price either.It is no wonder many people don't spay/neuter thier pets.

Here a spay is only $47 for a cat
a neuter is only $32 and during Tom-a-thons, it's only $10

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many great vets in Toronto, but I'm surprised you don't have a regular veterinarian already... has your cat not seen a vet ever? They'll need to give her her shots if she's never had them, before they spay her, and give her a good check up.

As for cost, it really does vary. You can get it done for $100 or so dollars (so I've heard) but when I got Nya done, I called EVERYWHERE and ended up taking her to my parents vet in Newmarket and it cost $450.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
eesh I still can't believe that such a simple routine everyday common quick procedure that the vet could probably do with his eyes closed could be so darn expensive. The monthly mobile clinic charges $20 for females and $15 for males and there is a cats only vet clinic near me where it is $45 for spay or neuter, vaccinations, deworming and clip claw nails.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think they charge a fortune because they don't want their days taken up with routine spays. I believe the thinking is that if they did cheap spay and neuters, that's ALL they would do, and wouldn't have time for the sick cats and dogs that need to get in ASAP.

I'd hate to be trying to get my kitty into a vet if they were sick, only to discover the vet was doing spay and neuters. Generally that's why spay/neuter clinics are cheap - that's all they do, and don't need to worry about getting in sick cats and dogs.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before you get crazy, the rates will vary greatly. Mika was spayed and microchipped and the total was around $200. That was a vet in Georgetown and IMO the best vet we've ever had. She was truly awesome.

Your best bet is to pick up your yellow pages and start phoning vets in your area. You live in a bit of an expensive area so you may find them a little more pricey. As someone else suggested, call the Humane Society as well.