First interview in my life!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys! HELP!!!

Sorry i keep on making new threads.
I got a telephone call today and I am to go for a interview tomorrow!
i am so stressed! I don't even know what to wear and what i should say!
She hasnt seen my resume yet, so I am currently printing it in German and English, but i am just soo ahh scared!

Any good advice??

Its my first interview in my whole life!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be nervous! Smile! Be friendly, speak clearly and loud enough to be heard. Dress to impress. Its better to be over dressed and under dressed. Actually I just read an article on www.youngmoney.com about dressing for an interview!!

You will do great!! and you are getting the famous TCS get the job vibes!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to some research on the company before you have interview.
Dress in a nice skirt/blouse w/low heeled shoes. Minimal jewelry and makeup.
The big thing is after the interview make up that person gets a thank you note.
Don't ask about salary or benefits right away until the job is offered to you.
Lots of places in the US ask about your personal strengths and weaknesses. So know what those are!!

Good luck!!!

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear a nice professional outfit, try to remain confident even if you are screaming inconfidence inside, make eye contact, firm handshakes, be positive about yourself.

Be prepared for touchie questions, they may ask questions about how you handled a difficult situation at a job or what have you and the results of how you handled it.

But above all else....be yourself and be confident, I think that's the most important thing, well three most important things.

1. Be Yourself
2. Be Confident
3. Make Eye Contact

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, im still scared though!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All excellant advice Fran.....remember to offer them your hand in a handshake! Show them your a vibrant, smart, confident woman!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to tell you to not be nervous, because I know you will be! I just had 2 interviews in the past month, and I was still pretty nervous too, no matter what anyone says!

Just dress nicely, business/casual - no jeans, or shirts that have logos on them. I've heard people say that open toed shoes are an interview 'no no'.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I'm not going to tell you to not be nervous, because I know you will be! I just had 2 interviews in the past month, and I was still pretty nervous too, no matter what anyone says!

Just dress nicely, business/casual - no jeans, or shirts that have logos on them. I've heard people say that open toed shoes are an interview 'no no'.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Well Germany has turned into winter quite quickly!!
its snowing in some parts of germany already! its a disaster! So i definetely wont be wearing open toed shoes!

I was just thinking of wearing my black pants, my purple blouse, possibly with a black jumper over it and my business jacket!

I really need a job asap!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most important thing is to use examples.

Interviewer "So you say you can handle telephone conflicts well"

You "Yes, that's right. In my position at blah working in the claims area (or whatever), I often had customers ring who weren't happy, so I had to ensure I dealt with the situation by doing blah, blah and blah."

Interviewer "In this position you will use Microsoft Excel regularly"

You: "Oh that's great, in my last position I was involved in doing blah which I had to use Excel for. I had to sort data, run reports, extract information blah blah blah" or "I haven't had a lot of Excel in an office environment, but I know the basics, and I certainly know my way around a computer, so with a bit of guidance, I am sure I will learn the more detailed aspects very fast"

And so forth... The most important thing is to try and relax, admit it if you're so nervous you think it's impeding your interview, and talk about your experience. If you haven't had a lot of on the job experience, talk about personal experience. "When I was volunteering at the animal shelter, I often dealt with difficult people, and would handle the situation by doing blah". I threw the word "animal" into the interview I had for this job, and it turned out the boss who was interviewing me said that she loves animals, also volunteers at her local shelter, and how they've drastically reduced the euthanasia rates in her area directly from the work her and a couple of others had done. I knew then I was in

If you can relate to the interviewers, they're more likely to warm up to you

What sort of job are you going for? I can think up some likely questions if you'd like.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a Marketing company.

Ive actually never really worked before except in a restaurant, and handing out newspapers.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in a Marketing area as well. They want someone who is bright and enthusiastic I would think.

You show that you're bright and bubbly, and they'll be impressed. They'll probably want to know that you can multi task, and calmly and efficiently handle problems that arise.

Just show em your Aussie charm and you'll be right

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You know! Alot of people say ive turned german and thats really scary!!!
but my aussie friends here in frankfurt tell me ive still got my aussie charm!
I will have to use it thanks!!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! The first 30 seconds are the most important part - that is when people decide if you are a serious candidate or not. So Arrive 10 minutes early, relax and get your act together in the place where it will be. Make eye contact as soon as you get in the room, and be friendly but not too forward. and yes, practical examples of what you can do, whatever field it is in, are very important. Show you are responsible, prove you don't panic and don't tell lies about yourself, though it is permissible to exaggerate a little! ou will do just fine, and even if you don't get this job, it will be great practice for hte great job that is waiting for you out there.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Good luck! The first 30 seconds are the most important part - that is when people decide if you are a serious candidate or not. So Arrive 10 minutes early, relax and get your act together in the place where it will be. Make eye contact as soon as you get in the room, and be friendly but not too forward. and yes, practical examples of what you can do, whatever field it is in, are very important. Show you are responsible, prove you don't panic and don't tell lies about yourself, though it is permissible to exaggerate a little! ou will do just fine, and even if you don't get this job, it will be great practice for hte great job that is waiting for you out there.
I cant lie either! haha!

Thank you for the advice!
I will let you all know tomorrow afternoon!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, i rocked up and they both really liked me!!
I have a second interview tomorrow, and if it goes all well like they want* they have to see which direction im heading because i havent had much experience, i will start working on monday!

Wow i am so exited!

Wish me luck for tomorrow please!
I really need this job!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right Fwan!!!!!!
Lots of marketing positions they like people who are outgoing and aren't afraid to talk to strangers!!
I hope this 2nd interview goes well!!!