HELP! A Question About Litter/Training....

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put out a small litter pan for my kittens yesterday. They are 4 weeks old which I know is too young to be litter trained, but I wanted them to get used to the litter being there. Well, two of them kept going in it and scratching but nothing else. They even played in it for awhile. But I did see the male scratching at the blanket they sleep on, and it looked like he was peeing.
They are not really eating solid food yet so is putting the box there now, too soon? Also, when I went in there this morning, mom had used it instead of her litter box.
Is it too soon? Or should I just leave it there?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I put a pan out for my kittens at 3 weeks, just so they could get used to it. Like yours, they mainly played in it. Don't worry, they we use it in good time. Just put them in it every once in a while to make sure they get used to it, also, be careful because sometimes they will eat it, mine ate a little. I had the problem of mama using it too. Best thing to do to fix that is to put a box over the litter pan and cut out a couple holes just big enough for the babies to get in and not the mama. Of course, they will constantly be playing peek-a-boo in it, but hey, at least you don't have to worry about mama getting in it!LOL!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mowsluver

I put out a small litter pan for my kittens yesterday. They are 4 weeks old which I know is too young to be litter trained, but I wanted them to get used to the litter being there. Well, two of them kept going in it and scratching but nothing else. They even played in it for awhile. But I did see the male scratching at the blanket they sleep on, and it looked like he was peeing.
They are not really eating solid food yet so is putting the box there now, too soon? Also, when I went in there this morning, mom had used it instead of her litter box.
Is it too soon? Or should I just leave it there?
You can leave it out....just make sure you use non clumping litter such as feline pine or clay litter. Since kittens will tend to eat the litter...clumping litter is very dangerous. I also kept my foster mom's litterbox in the same room....that way...the kittens could see mom use the litterbox and learn from her.

Katie