TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Andrew Young's shameful comments
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Andrew Young's shameful comments

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm surprised there hasn't been any conversation on these comments yet here in IMO: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060818/...wal_mart_young.
Personally, I think his comments are extremely racist, though I am glad that Wal-Mart has taken a stand against him.
post #2 of 14
They are racist, but honestly the whole statement bothers me more. Walmart rips people off and closes down small businesses, and he should be as ashamed to have worked for them as he is for those remarks. It is almost like he's saying that a store that is a family's livelihood is less important because Walmart hires black people more often. His apology isn't much better
about how it's okay to say that in Atlanta, but not in New York or LA. Ummmm.... WHAT?

Nothing horrifying that comes out of Walmart even remotely shocks me.
post #3 of 14
Wow!! I never heard about that! What has your race got to do with owning a mom and pop store? I am glad he "stepped down".
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Zissou's mom....as always, excellent points! I hadn't thought of the comment in the greater context of Wal-Mart closing down smaller stores, but your point is very astute.
This also brings me to something that always bothers me....if a white person makes a racist or anti-Semitic comment (i.e. Mel Gibson), they are called racist, anti-Semitic, etc (and justly labeled as such). However, someone of another race making similar comments is rarely crucified in the same manner. Like I always say and firmly believe: racism is not a one-way street!
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Walmart rips people off and closes down small businesses, and he should be as ashamed to have worked for them as he is for those remarks. Nothing horrifying that comes out of Walmart even remotely shocks me.
Let's not forget that Wal-Mart began as a mom and pop store. I've visited the Walton 5 and 10 more times than I can count, and pass it at least once a week. It serves to remind me that despite Wal-Mart's titan abilities at present, the company is what it is because of the drive and innovations of Sam Walton and the people he surrounded himself with in those early days.

I don't love the Wal-Mart culture these days (everything changed when Sam died), but I respect the fact that American families can save on average more than $2000 a year by shopping there. We live in a free-enterprise economy and many of the mom-and-pop stores close down because of their unwillingness to compete--not just in price. I also respect Sam's vision and more importantly, his family, as many of them are personal friends.
post #6 of 14
Since white people have all the power, only they can be racist.
the black man does not have the power so they cant be.

just something i remember someone on TV saying once.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
Since white people have all the power, only they can be racist.
the black man does not have the power so they cant be.

just something i remember someone on TV saying once.
I've heard that, too. That belief is rampant here in Savannah, unfortunately. It is sad that people of ANY race think they can justify their racism....at the end of the day, it's still racism!
post #8 of 14
Annasmom, forgive me, but are you a PR REP for Walmart or something?

And do you know what they do to other companies in order to get those "low" prices?

Our economy is NOT laissez-faire. It never was. It is regulated by the government. One thing that is regulated is monopolizing, which is what Walmart does. They take a loss at stores that are newly opened until all the other stores in the area are forced to close down, not out of selfishness, but because they have to eat and pay their electric bill too. And then they raise prices because they now have a captive audience who has nowhere else to shop.

I don't care at all how it started, and that's great for you to have sentimental feelings about the original Walmart store, but why let that cloud your judgement about what the mass chain of Walmart does today? You can be friends with someone and hate the company they work for.

They are a burden on the economy. The "jobs" they bring to the area in fact result in the largest number of people on public assistance. So many people can "save" money there because they work there and can't afford to shop anywhere else.

Read the other side of the story before you put all your faith in Walmart's goodness of heart.
www.walmartwatch.com
www.wakeupwalmart.com
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3044wal-mart.html
And in case you think those are not credible, or biased, or something, here's one from PBS:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post

Read the other side of the story before you put all your faith in Walmart's goodness of heart.
www.walmartwatch.com
www.wakeupwalmart.com
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3044wal-mart.html
And in case you think those are not credible, or biased, or something, here's one from PBS:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/
Trust me, I am intimitely familiar with the other side of the story. When you live in or around the Bentonville, Arkansas area, you get weekly phone calls from these "watch" groups.

Wal-Mart does have its problems, and I know that, in the past, there have been instances where product has been sold below cost to gather interest in the store. I also stated above, that I don't love what the Wal-Mart culture has become.

I think people who boycott Wal-Mart based on the fact they are putting small business out, contributing to the disposible economy, paying too little wages with no benefits, etc. have every right not to shop there. Around here though, its the only game in town.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnasMom View Post
Around here though, its the only game in town.
Isn't that a sign that something may be wrong? I know, that close to the HQ and you're bound to be in their "territory", but you can buy Pepsi in Atlanta and there are as many McDonald's as Wendy's in Columbus OH (where Wendy's is based/started).

You should never have to shop anywhere just because that's the only one around. That is a monopoly and it's illegal, just like those other Robber Barons of old were. It's ridiculous. And, alot of the stuff that seems so cheap at Walmart is the same price at the grocery or wherever else you might go. I really don't believe that the average family saves 2000 dollars a year at Walmart. For one thing, what are we comparing to? My mother spent less money on things than she would have at Walmart without ever setting foot in one, instead being smart, buying on sale, buying in bulk, using coupons, etc.

I would have a problem with Walmart even if didn't have very serious problems with the way it does business and treats its employees.



As for whether people who are not white can be racist, of course they can. What about the numerous situations in which people who are not white are the majority? There are many workplaces around where the manager, the manager's boss, and the majority of employees are not white, and if a white person is discriminated against, that's the same thing.
They need not even be in the minority.

Anytime a person's race comes into consideration for a promotion, a friendship, anything, rather than their personality or job performance or whatever other factors, its racism. And yes, I think that college-admissions quotas were racist.
post #11 of 14
I think there is some truth to what he said. Immigrants usually own a lot of mom and pop stores because they saved their whole lives in high-earning jobs as doctors, lawyers, and professors in other countries....just so they can own a dinky little shops in the US after they retire.

That is nothing to be ashamed of, however.

I have not shopped at Wal-Mart this year (at least I don't remember the last time I shopped there), because of two reasons.

1. I can get it cheaper shopping clearance at expensive stores. I can get beautiful, exquisite things from France and Germany cheaper than the dinky little Chinese crap from Wal-Mart.

2. I am boycotting Chinese stuff because of their mindless dog-slaughtering.

In fact, I could care less what Andrew Young did or did not do. Because no matter how much they improve Wal-Mart's image, I would still not shop there. I can get higher quality stuff for cheaper at other places.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes View Post
I've heard that, too. That belief is rampant here in Savannah, unfortunately. It is sad that people of ANY race think they can justify their racism....at the end of the day, it's still racism!

Yes it is,

and that is just one more reason i dont shop at walmart unless i have no choice. But mostley it is there business with china is the reason i wont go there.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post

business with china is the reason i wont go there.
post #14 of 14
Here in Los Angeles, a couple of years ago, they tried to open a Wal-Mart Superstore in a primarily black neighbourhood. The people in that neighbourhood vehemently were against it, and they fought to not let it go through, for the very reasons, that Wal Mart does destroy all of the local shops, and because they hire people at minimum wages and part time, so they won't have to pay benefits. The people won, and Wal Mart lost.

Yes, Wal Mart does play dirty, when it comes to their pricing. A few years ago, they sold some toys at way below cost, just so they could lure people into Wal Mart to do all of their Holiday shopping. They didn't just hurt Mom and Pop stores, they hurt Toys R Us, K Mart, and several other major chains. Wal Mart is a disgusting corporation, and if they're allowed to continue the way they do, they will cause a major distruction in the economy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Andrew Young's shameful comments