Eeyore gave birth!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eeyore gave birth to three or more kittens this morning. I went into the room, and heard kittens crying. As I looked, there was a cold wet kitten (with the placenta attached) behind the TV (where Eeyore has been hiding since I took her in.) I found another in a small box on the floor, again, cold and wet and with the placenta still attached. Eeyore had jumped into the cage with Piglet and her 2 week old kittens. I cleaned up the tiny ones very briefly, and cut the cords. Then I placed them in with the mommas.

I continued to hear crying, although I did not see another kitten at first. Finally, I found one more little baby, crying, on the floor behind a basketball. (This is a playroom when I don't have fosters.) This one had most of the placenta removed, but the baby was still wet and cold.

I put all the necessities in the cage with the cats and kittens, including a snuggle disk. By the time I left for work, Piglet and Eeyore had the kittens all cleaned up. One was crawling behind Eeyore's back leg, so I placed it by her belly. They are now locked in the cage.

I chose not to try to supplement these babies because it seemed critical that they get clean and dry and fed quickly. I honestly believe Piglet could do a better job of that than me. And since Eeyore is in with her, hopefully she will be helping, too.

When I left, both Piglet and Eeyore were surrounding the warm nest of dry kittens. Please pray that these little ones who fought and cried so I would find them, will continue to scrap and fight for a nipple and milk. That they will recover from their poor beginning.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Eeyore gave birth to three or more kittens this morning. I went into the room, and heard kittens crying. As I looked, there was a cold wet kitten (with the placenta attached) behind the TV (where Eeyore has been hiding since I took her in.) I found another in a small box on the floor, again, cold and wet and with the placenta still attached. Eeyore had jumped into the cage with Piglet and her 2 week old kittens. I cleaned up the tiny ones very briefly, and cut the cords. Then I placed them in with the mommas.

I continued to hear crying, although I did not see another kitten at first. Finally, I found one more little baby, crying, on the floor behind a basketball. (This is a playroom when I don't have fosters.) This one had most of the placenta removed, but the baby was still wet and cold.

I put all the necessities in the cage with the cats and kittens, including a snuggle disk. By the time I left for work, Piglet and Eeyore had the kittens all cleaned up. One was crawling behind Eeyore's back leg, so I placed it by her belly. They are now locked in the cage.

I chose not to try to supplement these babies because it seemed critical that they get clean and dry and fed quickly. I honestly believe Piglet could do a better job of that than me. And since Eeyore is in with her, hopefully she will be helping, too.

When I left, both Piglet and Eeyore were surrounding the warm nest of dry kittens. Please pray that these little ones who fought and cried so I would find them, will continue to scrap and fight for a nipple and milk. That they will recover from their poor beginning.
I hope the kittens are ok. Poor babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll be going home for lunch in 1/2 hour, to check on them! I'll keep you posted!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending out vibes for warm and toasty kitten with full bellies!!!! And that Eeyore learns "how to" from Piglet!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lots of vibes for the little babies!!! hopefully Piglet will take the lead, thank goodness you are fostering her also

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so blessed! I went home to a pile of kittens! I took Piglet's 4 bigger kittens out of the cage, so the tiny newbies could get all the milk. Turns out Eeyore had 5 healthy babies! 4 are tabbies, and one jet black kitty! And shy Eeyore, who has been hiding, is just purring up a storm and loving being in a pile of kitties!

At one point, the Mom's were laying nose to tail, with the 5 newbies in between them, toasty and warm, nursing away. So very very cute!

I'm still a little nervous having playful 2 week old kittens in with newborns, but Piglet is definitely helping with the feeding and cleaning, so I will let them be.

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes! Anyone want to adopt a cute kitten!?!

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
congrats! i'm so glad everything is better now. i would adopt one but i'm in kitten cuty right now. lol.
i cant wait to see pictures!!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job Eeyore! Good to hear Piglet is helping out. We had one of our indoor kitties who had never had babies be a surrogate mom to 3 little ones we found. She produced milk for them, and they are now happy 2 year olds!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Wehw! Mayber Eeyore just needed some instruction or something. My stepfather always tells the story of how Sheba and Tiger both had kittens on the same day and Sheba had to 'help.' My stepfather used to have to go get Tiger, lay her down, and 'plug em in' so she would feed them sometimes! Oh and that was after taking Tiger's kittens away from Sheba! I miss my Tiger...sily cat!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, these kitties really grew up in a hoarder type situation, so have used the "commune" approach to kittening in the past. So I guess it will work this time, too!

We had a scare tonight, where one kitten was outside the crate behind it, so I had to get everyone out of the cage to move it, and save the kitten. Since then Piglet has returned to the cage, but not Eeyore. I know Piglet can't feed 9 kittens alone, especially with some tinier than the others. So hopefully once things quiet down, Eeyore will join her in caring for the kittens. (So far the kittens are sleeping quietly, so I know their bellies are full!)

LOTS of pics are here....
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97701

including this one

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

That orange fella sure sticks out.
Yeah, he is a little glimmer of gold! This year my rescue is over run with brown tabbies. I fear some will never find a forever home, but at least I know that this family tree is done "blooming".

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love the little black boy. And Gopher was always my favorite. He was my "invisible friend" when I was little, LOL!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, thank god she is with you, and this will be her last litter. I do hope Eeyore becomes a better mum. They are gorgeous, you will have your hands full though!!