Getting the cat a closetotomy!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess we have a pretty normal cat in the behavior department, if he sees a closet door open a crack, in he goes. Naturally, we found out early on that we must adopt a rule of always keeping all closet doors closed. We found that this was not working though, because open a closet for a fraction of a moment to grab a shirt, and from out of nowhere, and with no knowledge whatsoever, in he goes just as the door is quickly shut. And now we have a locked cat in a closet because we have vowed to keep all closet doors closed. Whenever we come home, Persi comes to meet us at the garage door, if he does not, we know that once again one of us has locked him in a closet. So we have decided to adopt a new household policy; to always keep all closet doors open. That would obviously take of the problem but I mentioned that perhaps we could get the cat a closetotomy from the vet, a procedure that would keep him out of closets.
OK, folks, I am just kidding and know of no such procedure but has anybody found a sure way to solve this problem besides leaving all the doors open all the time, this looks silly!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We have a closed-closet policy, so we just have to check the closet thoroughly before closing it. So far, no one has gotten trapped inside.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to have the same problem until we moved into a house with no closets.

Now we have to watch all cupboard doors and any open drawers. Our cat Uno and her two kittens are the nosiest kitties and will poke their face in anything that can open. I don't really have an answer other to double check every time you open a closet.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always try to get a visual on all my kitties if I'm closing up a closet or the attic. Luckily I don't have that many that aren't roll open doors.. I get nervous if I can't find a cat and start running around opening the doors.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having just completed my medical terminology class, and making an A I might add, I feel that it is my duty to correct you!

A closetotomy would mean to make an incision into the closet... You really mean a closetectomy, which would be excision of the closet OR if you add cat flaps you are performing a closetostomy, which means to create an artificial opening into the closet

Sorry, I really couldn't resist!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Having just completed my medical terminology class, and making an A I might add, I feel that it is my duty to correct you!

A closetotomy would mean to make an incision into the closet... You really mean a closetectomy, which would be excision of the closet OR if you add cat flaps you are performing a closetostomy, which means to create an artificial opening into the closet

Sorry, I really couldn't resist!
I concur, Nurse Tanya

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All closets here have to be open too. I've tried closing them but they both scratch to get into it. They just have to be sure there is nothing hiding in there, LOL

I also have to leave one of my cupboard doors open too. Chynna loves to sleep in the pots cupboard and while she can open it to get inside, she can't open it to get back out if it accidentally gets closed. Abby even reminds me about the cupboard door. She checks on it and if she finds it closed she paws and meows until I open it a bit. I guess she's looking out for her sister, even though they don't much like one another.

alewifebp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine loves the closet too. What is so strange is that she could be sleeping in the other room, and I'll quietly open the door, and running she will come, hiding in the back. Luckily she doesn't stay long, so I just let her stay for a while, then close the door when she comes out. I used to have two cats that would often hide in the closet, usually way in the back so it is nearly impossible to find them.