quilt is pregnant

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is pretty, but the pictures were very small. Are you a registered cattery? I always like hearing the names that breeders choose for their cattery names. What breed is she? Is this her first litter or is she an experienced queen?
I am a strong supporter of pediatric spay and neuter, have you heard of this yet? Here is a link explaining a little more about it, I believe it shows the many benefits to both male and female kittens.
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/heal...ay-neuter.html
Another good article is http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

I have been practicing early altering now for quite a few years, with no problems at all. I find it to be much easier of the kittens, rather than a young adult, as well as the adoptive parents have one less thing to worry about.

There are increasingly more vets practicing early altering.

What preliminary testing was done on your queen and stud prior to breeding? I look forward to seeing the kittens, what colors and patterns are you expecting from this breeding? Which cat associations are you affiliated with?

Wish you and Quilt an easy pregnancy. I look foward to hearing more as her pregnancy continues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes this cattery has been passed down to me and they picked the name meowmix. she is a himalayan. she has had 1 litter before. i will not be fixing her till she is older because i am a breeder. i will get new pictures up soon.

i hope these helped
Hannah

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbabe12

Yes this cattery has been passed down to me and they picked the name meowmix. she is a himalayan. she has had 1 litter before. i will not be fixing her till she is older because i am a breeder. i will get new pictures up soon.

i hope these helped
Hannah
Hannah...FamilytimeRags is referring to having the kittens fixed before they go into new homes.

Katie

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i hope these helped
Hannah
She's very pretty! But I think Stormi (FamilytimeRags) meant the spay-neuter advice for the kittens. It's hard to guarantee that the people you sell your kittens to will neuter their cat, so sometimes it's best to get it done before they go to their forever homes!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Katie and Kim!!

Hannah, I apologize if I didn't make my post clear enough. I have a lot going on right now, and it was late.

When our kittens reach 11 weeks old and are well over 2 lbs, our vet spays and neuters them. It is called early altering, or pediatric spay and neuter.
Please read the links above in my post, it will explain the many benefits to the kittens, and in my opinion also helps the adoptive family.

Many families are busy, and may have something come up that would make them push back a spay or neuter appointment, and as a member of this site, it is all to common to hear about the accidental pregnancies, due to not having the cat spayed before she comes into heat. Or, for the male, before he becomes sexually mature and tries to escape the inside of the house and breed the neighborhood strays.

It isn't uncommon for a female to go into heat as early as 4 months of age, and a male to be able to successfully sire a litter of kittens at age 5 months, certainly not the norm, but not uncommon.

I have been slowly compliling a list of vets around the US who perform early altering. If you are interested, please feel free to contact me, and hopefully I can help you find a vet who performs early altering.

I hope this post clears up any confusion.
Best of luck,
Stormi

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am a breeder and shower so i dont see why i would need to fix them unless the new home wants it. the dad is a champ and the mom has champ lines

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I breed and show as well, and my lines have excellent titled pedigrees as well, but I have NEVER let a pet quality kitten go to a home unaltered. I also won't let a kitten go unaltered unless it is breeding quality and fits the breed standard, even then I will only sell to established registered catteries. I have had many people wanting to adopt to one of our kittens for "just one litter." There are enough backyard breeders in the world than to allow someone who knows nothing of the actual responsibilities in breeding.

Also, you may have 2 Supreme Grands that you are breeding, but that doesn't mean that the kittens produced will be show/breeding quality. Do you want to just breed any purebred persian, because it is purebred, or do you want to breed to standard, and benefit the breed you have chosen. What preliminary tests have you performed on your Persian's prior to breeding? This is very important. Your titles are great, but can you guarantee the health?

I am also going to assume since you aren't going to alter the kittens before they go home, by your statement, that you don't mind if the adoptive parents keep the kitten you bred intact to possibly become pregnant, or not pregnant, and the risk of uterine infections?

Your post doesn't give a reason, why you would disagree with early altering, most of my adoptive families like that their kitten is already spayed or neutered, it is one less worry and expense for the new family, and again as I stated, people become busy, pediatric altering, GREATLY reduces the males risk of testicular cancer, as well as eliminating uterine infections in the female, and GREATLY reducing the risk of mammary cancer or infections.

This forum has wonderful people, who I have learned greatly from, as well as having wonderful mentors. I am not putting you down, I am trying to explain reasons of why I and others believe in early altering. There are many people who don't know about pediatric spay and neuter, although it has been around for many, many years. I just wanted to educate you on this option that you have. Your reasons, IMO, don't justify, not altering.

Do you at least put in the contract that the adoptive family MUST alter the kitten by age 6 months, to prevent more BYB's from starting up. If not, these may be things you wish to incorporate in your contract. I am assuming you are still fairly new to breeding, there is nothing wrong with that, we all start somewhere, just be open to new suggestions and ideas from other breeders. If you don't have a mentor yet, CFA and TICA have mentoring programs and can set you up with an ethical breeder in your area to help when you need it. Hopefully, the breeder who passed the cattery down to you, will mentor you, if they have the time.

For the record, I also want to state I know wonderful breeders, who don't early alter, but they do extensive questioning on the adoptive parents and stay in touch, not only to make sure their kitten is altered at an appropriate age, but also to help answer any questions that can come up over the lifetime of the kitten or cat.

Again, I wish you well. Please don't find my posts offensive, I am just giving you my opinions and suggestions, for what the 2 cents that they are worth.

Stormi

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations catbabe on your successful breeding of Quilt, and acquiring a cattery!!
I wish you success in your cattery endeavors.

taz money

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you don't sound like a very reputable breeder to me. Any reputable breeder would have any non show quality kittens altered before placement. Backyard breeders aren't cool.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taz Money

you don't sound like a very reputable breeder to me. Any reputable breeder would have any non show quality kittens altered before placement. Backyard breeders aren't cool.
I would think that it should take more than a few anonymous posts on an Internet forum to determine that someone is or is not a reputable breeder. As for altering pet quality kittens before placement, while pediatric spay/neuter may be readily available in many areas, there are still lots of places where it is not. Please try to keep the thread on topic.

rcloisonne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Goodness! My vets have told me they never spay or neuter before 6 months because it can cause bone development problems in younger animals. Is this incorrect?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was NOT a backyard breeder, and all of my pet kittens were altered by the new owners - I required proof before handing over any papers. And never had a problem with anyone. So having kittens spayed/neutered doesn't make you a good/bad breeder at all.

This is a new thing in getting them altered young. When I sold a kitten they were required to be altered 6-8 months old.

BUT champion title on cats really doesn't mean a whole lot - its pretty easy to get that - GRAND champion is more of an indication of quality in any of the associations. And I feel that you should be showing your cats to prove their quality. I understand not all cats like being shown, but the top quality should be there.

My females never really liked showing, but their quality and the quality they produced were top - so it didn't matter too much to me. I like to see a lot of champion/grands in the first few generations. If its not there in, then the cats really are not that good.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rcloisonne

Goodness! My vets have told me they never spay or neuter before 6 months because it can cause bone development problems in younger animals. Is this incorrect?
That is incorrect.
Kittens can be spayed at 2lbs as long as they are healthy
. I have fostered for years and do TNR rescue as well as spay/neuter runs for my local animal shelter and the other shelters I volunteer at. So far, I've seen hundreds of pediactic kittens spayed/neutered with no complications, also, spaying/neutering a feline doesn't affect their bone development...they will develop normally
! So it is definitely safe to do so long as a kitten is in good health! Hope that helps. Have a great day!

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG yall i just wanted to say quilt was pregnant not start an aguement
ugh some ppl still act like lil kids

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tend to overreact sometimes--go to that Cat SOS forum and see what happens to all those extra cats out there when kittens aren't neutered. And I guess some of them have early spay/neuter easily available in their area and don't know that it's hard to get in other places.

So "overzealous" more than "immature", I think.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i am a breeder and shower so i dont see why i would need to fix them unless the new home wants it. the dad is a champ and the mom has champ lines
In an earlier post, you wrote:

"THE MALE is a showcat and he is tested and we are goning to spay her and the kittens. we have homes for all them and we can afford the male cat is 2 and a half. we are selling the kittens because they are showing cats.
so if u have anymore questions ask me"

What made you change your mind about getting them fixed?