Two cats, one litter box?

jbfromwp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 3 1/2 month old female kittens (sisters). Currently I am using only one litter box for both of them with no problems. I am constantly scooping, so the litter box is kept very clean. I change it twice a week. I am using Swheat Scoop which is great on keeping down odor. Is it really necessary that I add on another litter box so they each have one, and if so can the litter boxes be right next to one another?

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if your not having problems on either your end our the cats end then dont worry about it.
in my old apartment i had one litter pan and two cats.
having two pans is nice if your cats are heavy bthrm users like mine and if you hate the smell of kitty business like me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As they get older, at least one more box will be a great idea. And if you have the luxury of the space, it's always a great idea to have the boxes in different locations. My cats have 2 per cat, and they actually have assigned "different jobs" for different boxes - and heaven help the cat who accidentally poos in his pee box

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only had one litter box for my two cats and they seemed fine. It was never an issue. Now that we have 3 cats I have two litter boxes. Everyone seems happy and I don't really have the space for one more!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I highly recommend at least 2 for your kitties. I never had any problems either for 3 years from litter mates. I always pushed off the "rule" of "1 litter box for each cat you own, plus one" because mine never had a problem. But one day they did. It started with "doing their business" just outside the box. Once I added the recommended amount, all of those issues ceased.

A lot of cats prefer to use one for pee and one for poo. Some cats are more protective over their "business", that shows itself as the cats mature. Its better to have all you need from the beginning rather than problems arising later and you having to fix them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 full grown cats and only have 1 litter box. I use Jonny Cat Scoop which is also clumping so it's easy to scoop out. I do a complete pan disinfecting and litter change every 2 weeks.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No it's not necessary - not so long as they are happy to share a box. I've only ever had one box for 2 cats (9 years since I got my first 2) and it's never been a problem.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think since you got them at the same time and they are used to sharing a box, it shouldn't be a problem.

My SIL has to grown cats and they share the smallest litter box you have ever seen. IMO she is just asking for trouble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jbfromwp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

I think since you got them at the same time and they are used to sharing a box, it shouldn't be a problem.

My SIL has to grown cats and they share the smallest litter box you have ever seen. IMO she is just asking for trouble.
Thank you everyone for your responses. Your experiences and opinions seem to be split 50/50. I think for now I'll stick with one box and hope there are no problems. As soon as I see an issue, i guess I'll add another box.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one box - for both Harley (1) and Davidson (3 mo.) there are no problems at all - we had a little box for Davidson, but neither of them will use it - and will only use the one big one we have. We scoop constantly and change the litter just like you do - no problems! We will be adding another one when Davidson gets a bit bigger, but for now, they won't use another one!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 boxes for 2 cats. I just thought it wuld be easier to have 2. Just in case I go away for a couple days and can't get anyone to scoop or whatever. So far no problems. They actually seen to use one box more than the other.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jbfromwp

I have two 3 1/2 month old female kittens (sisters). Currently I am using only one litter box for both of them with no problems. I am constantly scooping, so the litter box is kept very clean. I change it twice a week. I am using Swheat Scoop which is great on keeping down odor. Is it really necessary that I add on another litter box so they each have one, and if so can the litter boxes be right next to one another?
I think it depends on the cat. I have 4 cats and 4 litterboxes. They each use there own. Lily wont use her box if one of the other cats go in it. Bagheera and Kitten could care less which one they use. But if Annie goes in Kitten's litterbox she wont go in it till its cleaned. Since Annie is new she doesn actually have her own box yet. So far she is using the big litterbox that the other 3 use if they dont want to run to their boxes. I might get her a new one but I might not. If they are ok with using a litterbox together there isnt really a need to get another one. But it is easier to keep clean cause its kinda spread out a little more.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 cats, one pan and no problems. Unless you are having problems or a problem starts with one cat not wanting to use the pan, then keep it at one. If problems arise, get a 2nd pan and put it next to the first.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I highly suggest one more litterbox. It is recommended usually to have one per cat and one extra. But two would probably be okay for your girls as they get bigger. I am suprised such young kittens get by with just one box, I am always afraid of accidents like mot making it all the way to the box in time or forgetting where it's at or something...Better safe then sorry, or better safe then stained carpet, rugs or bed hehe.

It's not like it is any major hassle to have another box either is it? It's up to you though. I would suggest adding another though.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had two female cats that shared the same box their whole life 15 years till the first one passed. Now I have three male cats and I have three boxes, small, medium, and large. I started with one box, for two of them, but with the third guy I added another. Then one of the guys got FUS, so now I begrudgingly have three boxes. I wish I would have gotten little females again. I was so grief stricken, I wasn't thinking clearly when I recatted. I love my guys, but two petite females is easier than three big, poopy males.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
altho current wisdom says 1 more litterbox than cat, i've had 2 cats & only one box before. basically, you just have to be diligent about keeping it clean, which it sounds like you are. i currently have 3 boxes & 4 cats, so you can see i don't adhere stringently to that rule.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

It's not like it is any major hassle to have another box either is it? It's up to you though. I would suggest adding another though.
i have 2 cats and only one litter box. this is the 2nd pair ive had who shared a litter box with no problems. it would be a major hassle for me to have any more boxes because i live in a teeny teeny teeny tiny apartment and there is simply no room for another box matter how hard you try. if there was room i think i would still only have one box unless problems arose. why spend the extra money and time on a 2nd box if its not necessary? i think the one box per cat plus one rule is a very general for very picky cats and it should really be a case by case thing.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

i have 2 cats and only one litter box. this is the 2nd pair ive had who shared a litter box with no problems. it would be a major hassle for me to have any more boxes because i live in a teeny teeny teeny tiny apartment and there is simply no room for another box matter how hard you try. if there was room i think i would still only have one box unless problems arose. why spend the extra money and time on a 2nd box if its not necessary? i think the one box per cat plus one rule is a very general for very picky cats and it should really be a case by case thing.
I think it very much depends on the size of your living space as much as whether your cats are happy sharing. I live in a small apartment too, but if/when I move into a larger house I may well add a 2nd litter tray upstairs just so that they don't have to go too far to find one. I would find it difficult to fit in a 2nd one where I am now, but of course would make room for it if necessary. I did actually have a 2nd tray temporarily when I got Mosi but that was mainly because he was using different litter at his previous home so I set up a tray with that litter in it and without a door in case that put him off (he was used to a cat door but not on a litter box). They both just used both trays from the outset though so I took one away and they both continued using the one that was left without any problems.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys have two litter boxes, they use one for pee and one for poo. I don't quite understand how they worked that out, but it just sort of happened that way.