is my cat the father of these kittens?

jezen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i had my cat neutered I think about four years ago. I'm used to him not getting along with other cats, but now he seems to fancy one that comes around. He's also been hanging around outside more lately. The other day, I found him lying in the backyard with another cat, and a bunch of little kittens. However, he is an orange striped tabby, and this other one looks mixed/maybe part siamese(?) with mostly white fur... and the babies are mixed in color. One looks like my cat, some other ones have gray on them?

is it possible that my cat fathered these kittens? or is he merely playing 'daddy' ? is it normal for a male cat to all of a sudden acquire a new 'family'?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezen

i had my cat neutered I think about four years ago. I'm used to him not getting along with other cats, but now he seems to fancy one that comes around. He's also been hanging around outside more lately. The other day, I found him lying in the backyard with another cat, and a bunch of little kittens. However, he is an orange striped tabby, and this other one looks mixed/maybe part siamese(?) with mostly white fur... and the babies are mixed in color. One looks like my cat, some other ones have gray on them?

is it possible that my cat fathered these kittens? or is he merely playing 'daddy' ? is it normal for a male cat to all of a sudden acquire a new 'family'?
If he was neutered...he is not the father. However, do you know if the other cat is owned?? If not, I would take her to be spayed and take the kittens in to be placed into homes.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is neutered, no way can he be the father, unless he mated with a female within a month after being neutered. Was he outside at any time during the first few months of being neutered?

I've had males that liked to babysit kittens. So its not unusual for a neutered male to do this.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some male cats just like kittens. I had one that would babysit for the neighbor's litter, then help her take them home. It was so cute.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a male cat many years ago that brought home an entire litter of four kittens. I have no idea where they came from. He actually called them into the basement and up the stairs to get them to the food and water.

I had never thought before a male would do that but I saw it with my own eyes

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, your kitty made friends! That's adorable that he has a little "family". Red tabbies are pretty common, so the fact that there is one in the litter doesn't really prove he's the father, and since he was neutered four years ago there is absolutely no way he's the daddy.
How old does the momma cat look? Maybe it's his "ex-girlfriend" or something

I agree about having momma cat spayed. Maybe you could start feeding her too, and see if she wants to join your house? They seem like good friends!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww how sweet! I have a neutered stray that live in my bedroom heh and he babysits the kitten I found last week. It is so sweet. They play and wrestle and lay sort of together. My other cats steer clear of both of them. I guess the intruders in the home have to stick together.

Anyways in your case, no your cat is not the father, that is the whole idea of neutering, so they cannot reproduce (among other reasons such as health).

I suggest taking the mother cat in to be spayed and the kittens need a home too. You could call no-kill shelters or put an ad in the paper, find a foster home, post on craigslist.com or petfinder.com, ask a shelter to do a courtasy listing or see if they can go to an adoption event.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just wanted to thank everyone for their input.. i feel much better now that i'm getting over the initial shock. i think it may be the neighbor's cat, so i'll probably talk with them about spaying the other cat, and for plans for the kittens.

anyhow, hope you all have a great week!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezen

i just wanted to thank everyone for their input.. i feel much better now that i'm getting over the initial shock. i think it may be the neighbor's cat, so i'll probably talk with them about spaying the other cat, and for plans for the kittens.

anyhow, hope you all have a great week!
If your neighbor needs a low cost clinic...let us know and I can provide you with a list in California.

Katie