Hugs.........totally worth it........

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As many of you know, Jerry went into the hospital today for a colonoscopy. Of course I had to wait in the surgery waiting room which what seemed like forever, but it really was only perhaps 2 hours tops. Well, there were lots of families waiting for loved ones. There was this older woman, (I'd guess in her 80's) waiting for her DH to get out of surgery.......she looked so worried, kept wringing her hands, picking up magazines, putting them down again, etc. I noticed her and finally got up and went over to supposedly get a magazine off of the table next to her. I started making small talk with her and sat down. She told me her name was Beatrice and her husband Henry was having hernia surgery........she was sooooooooooo sweet, and seemed relieved to have someone to keep her company. We talked and talked. They never had children, so there was no one to wait with her. No family left, just eachother. She started to cry, saying she didn't know what she would do if something happend to Henry..........they had had their 59 wedding anniversary on June 2. I asked her if she had any pets, and she said a bird.
We talked about me and she found out about TTP&B. She said she has had many cats in her life and didn't want anymore, because when they passed on, they didn't want to leave any behind with no home.

To try to make this story shorter, the surgeon came out to talk to her and she asked if I would stay and listen, that she gets so nervous sometimes she doesn't understand everything they say.........so I did. She introduced me as her very good friend Sandy!
Luckily Henry was fine and she could go to his room in about a half hour........I ended walking her up to his floor and she gave me the biggest bear hug her little body could give. I gave her one right back, and in that hug, I felt so much love and compassion for her..............kind of like hugging my own grandma, who I miss dearly.

Next time you see anyone who seems like they just need a friend, feel free to butt into their lives......I'm so glad I did. If your really lucky, you too can get a really great hug........and what's better than that?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a very special thing you did for her. Awww bless her and you, too !!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww Susie, that was such a wonderful thing that you did - what a difference you must have made to Beatrice at a very difficult time. Your love and understanding just came shining through.

So.....about you now, any news on Jerry? Do we know how he did yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

Awww Susie, that was such a wonderful thing that you did - what a difference you must have made to Beatrice at a very difficult time. Your love and understanding just came shining through.

So.....about you now, any news on Jerry? Do we know how he did yet?
Oh yes Beth, he did great! The doctor said there was nothing found and all looked good!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s so sweet. She is so lucky that you were there.

If you ever see her again you should tell her that adopting an older cat would be a good idea. There is a shelter in this area that advertises older pets for older people. "Enjoying retirement with a furry friend."

p.s. glad to hear that Jerry is OK

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww.... Sandy

Reading your story gave me goosebumps! You are so sweet to keep that lady company - I bet you made her whole day! How nice of you

I'm glad Jerry is okay, yay!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, although I probably didn't show it like this lady, I was worried abuot Jerry myself.......so she helped me as much as I hope I helped her!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susie, why is it your stories always make me all misty eyed?

Now that I think of it....a lot of things are making me misty eyed lately.
I think my hormones are out of whack.

Touching story though, and good to hear things went well for you and Jerry too!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Susie, we always knew you were special.

Glad Jerry is doing fine.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Susie, why is it your stories always make me all misty eyed?

Now that I think of it....a lot of things are making me misty eyed lately.
I think my hormones are out of whack.
Touching story though, and good to hear things went well for you and Jerry too!
Awwwwww
Sorry if I make you cry Emily........here's one to make you laugh!!

Jerry has so much gas, he tooted his way through the procedure, all the way down the hall on the way to the bathroom, and even as they were wheeling him out of the hospital. He was beat red by the time I brought the car around!!!
He kept apologizing, and the guy kept telling him, don't worry about it. It's one of the perks of working in the endoscopy dept!!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Susie, we always knew you were special.

Glad Jerry is doing fine.
Oh stop.....
....I've just literally always lived by the saying " do unto others as you would have them do unto you!"

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Awwwwww
Sorry if I make you cry Emily........here's one to make you laugh!!

Jerry has so much gas, he tooted his way through the procedure, all the way down the hall on the way to the bathroom, and even as they were wheeling him out of the hospital. He was beat red by the time I brought the car around!!!
He kept apologizing, and the guy kept telling him, don't worry about it. It's one of the perks of working in the endoscopy dept!!

That IS funny. No worries, Susie. Like I said I've been tearing up at the drop of a hat lately.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

That IS funny. No worries, Susie. Like I said I've been tearing up at the drop of a hat lately.
Get yourself a bunch of chocolate.....that always helps!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Susie, that was very sweet of you -- and sometimes doing something for someone else is just what you need to keep your own act together.
I'm glad you were there for each other, and that everyone is OK.