Ringwirom !!! please help !!

julia1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all new to this forum found it in my search to rid my darling of ringworm !!i have five indoor cats two of which are persian !!!But its my ginger tabby that is showing signs of the ring worm i have read up and am aware of the hygiene side of things cleaning disinfecting things etc , I have seen a mix for lime sulpur shompoo , but i want to now the mix for a lime sulpur dip my youngest kitty is just over 3 months ! ( no sign of it at present ) would it be safe to use on her ?
Just looking for any tips on creams or anything you have tried and tested and that works !!!!!!!
I live in the uk so might be different names on brands of meds !!!

Please help , looking forward to your replys and helpfull info
ps I know i need to use prevention on my other cats so how often on them plus how often on my ginge too

many thanks
julia and kittys

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing you can do is get the lime sulfur dip at your vet. You should also get a clear goop (sorry don't know the name) which is essentially like vaselene (maybe just patroleum jelly) that you can put in their eyes as the dip must be head to toe. I've had to go through this too. Just clean everything, wash your hands frequently, use a topical in combo with the sulfur dip and though painstaking it will clear.

Also keep the cat isolated to a room. This is most common with kittens and the sulfur dip is safe, just have to be careful of the eyes, and they will scream...just to warn you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your reply but i wonder if anyone knows how to dilute the lime sulphur , also what is the topical in combo ?????? can i just buy it from the vets or will i have to see one ? would rather try something myself first , i was told i could get the lime sulphur at a gardening centre 23% ???
julia

xxpunkkittenxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i wound bring the cat to the vet asap! they can give a drontal or prescribe a treatment that is very high quaity any you know will work! also follow up by giving the vet a fecal sample about a week or 2 after!

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xXPunkKittenXx

i wound bring the cat to the vet asap! they can give a drontal or prescribe a treatment that is very high quaity any you know will work! also follow up by giving the vet a fecal sample about a week or 2 after!
Ringworm is a fungus, not a parasite or an actual worm.

To the OP, I would first recommend that you take the kitty with the lesions to your vet to actually have it diagnosed as ringworm and not another skin problem, just to be safe because the lime sulfur dip is not fun.

From there they will be able to recommend the best course of treatment depending on whether it is a localized or diffused problem. There are other options besides the dip, and if it is localized, a miconazole (or any antifungal topical medicine for athlete's foot, etc.) cream or spray would be a lot easier.

I don't know about the dilution for the dip, the best course would be to consult with the vet.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Ringworm is EXTREMELY difficult to get rid of. The spores are easily spread and can "live" in the environment for up to 2 years, which is why it is important to make sure that it is ringworm.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got 5 cats with ringworm right now! Let me tell you...this isn't fun & this isn't my first time doing this this year(brought it home from the shelter
). I vacuum frequently. After vacuuming, I spray the carpets with a diluted bleach water solution(color test the carpets first). I washed everything I can, etc.

Go to the vet for treatment. It's easier that way, if your cat gets sick, or the meds don't work, etc. I am dosing with liquid Fulvicin daily & putting Conofite cream on "ringworm spots". Other than that, I just sit & wait for it to go away. The vet here reccomended bathing with an anti-fungal shampoo & conditioner before starting treatment & once done with treatment. You never know what the vet will say, & IMO, this treatment is much easier than a lime sulfur dip...which I really don't want to do!

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

IMO, this treatment is much easier than a lime sulfur dip...which I really don't want to do!
And a lot less stinky!! That dip is HORRIBLE smelling!!