Black or brown?

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd posted about this as part of something else earlier but didn't get a reply, and just read something similar in the 4week old pictures thread.
Are black cats actually black or are they really brown?
They look pretty darn black to me, but then why do they bleach to brown in the sun?

Any ideas?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sun lightens colors - blonde haired people usually get lighter in a lot of sun. I don't know why black fades, but it does

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As already mentioned, the sun can bleach black fur to brown however lack of the amino acid Tyrosine will also cause black fur to turn brown since Tyrosine is involved in the melanine synthesis.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

As already mentioned, the sun can bleach black fur to brown however lack of the amino acid Tyrosine will also cause black fur to turn brown since Tyrosine is involved in the melanin synthesis.
This is very interesting, and a topic I find quite fascinating. Would this mean a nutrient deficiency (of Tyrosine) could cause a kitty's fur to abnormally turn brown?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

This is very interesting, and a topic I find quite fascinating. Would this mean a nutrient deficiency (of Tyrosine) could cause a kitty's fur to abnormally turn brown?
Yep, that's right so if it's in the middle of the winter, not much sun and your cat suddenly changes color from black to brown you should suspect Tyrosine deficiency.