Could Frankie be a Maine Coon?

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a cat and took him to the vet on Friday. Our vet thinks he might be part Maine Coon. I looked on the internet and I agree that he could be all or part Maine Coon. What do you think? Here he is:

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks a great deal like our Fluffy, and her vet says she is likely a Maine Coon X. Either way, they are adorable little kitties. I hope he has better manners than FLuffy. She is a naughty girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How big is Fluffy? From what I read about Maine Coons, they can get quite large and can keep growing for a few years. Our vet is guessing Frankie to be about a year old. He's only 10 lbs. now but if he's a Maine Coon, he could keep growing for the next couple years. He can be a little naughty too. He loves pouncing and can get carried away with his claws sometimes when he's playing.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

He is so cute!! I lvoe his coloring!
Thank you!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluffy is about 10-11 months old, and about 8-10 lbs. She has a mane, a lot of toe and ear tufts, and a cute fluffy tail. She is also a pouncer, and loves to play. She is a very lovey girl, too. When she decides to be sweet, there is not a sweeter kitty anywhere, but when she is bad, I could just smack her. (But I never would.) If I ever learn to post pics, I will post some of her.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there is maine coon in the background

He's pretty - just for info, he would be considered a BROWN mactabby - some would call him a black tabby, but browns range from black/brown (or cold brown) to warm, rich red/brown and all shades inbetween.

Maines grow for a full years, don't reach adult size till around 3 yrs old, so he still can get bigger.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd love to see a picture of Fluffy!

Thanks for the info, Goldenkitty45. So you're sure there is some Maine Coon in him eh? I wonder how big he'll get. Should be interesting. He is actually more brown than this picture shows. I'll try to post another picture that shows his colors better. This one makes him look a little more gray than he really is in person.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's another picture of Frankie:

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And one more of Frankie:

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
peeps........

This is Thor, our Maine Coon at various ages. He is currently about 18 months old and still growing. To answer your question, I would say that your kitten probably has some Maine Coon bloodline in it as he has the *look* of a Maine Coon.....at least to me he does.

Thor at 12 weeks

Thor at 9 months

Thor's face at 9 months

Maine Coon's can become very large cats, and from what I hear they are rather clumsy in nature.....Thor proves this to the tee
At 18 months old he weighs 16 lbs. and is still growing. Maine Coon's also have a very, for lack of better words, WIMPY meow. He has very large tufts of hair on the top point of each ear and it is so hard to trim his nails because of the hair that grows out the bottom of his toes, I believe that this also contributes to his *clumsyness* especially on slick surfaces. He is our resident clown. The Maine Coon breed also has longer hair around his neck and down his shoulders as well as back his side and hind legs, you can see this on the one picture. Another defining feature of this breed is the length and size of the tail. When he was still a kitten, his tail was longer than his whole body was....but not now. I hope this helps.......

Winter Hawk

Winter Hawk

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting those pictures. That really gives me an idea of what we might expect at various ages. We think it would be cool if he does have Maine Coon in him.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture that shows Frankie's tail better:

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still think that he has some Maine Coon in him

Does he really slide on the linoleum floor??? Thor is hilarious when he gets to running on it.

Winter Hawk

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed that he slides on the kitchen floor but he doesn't spend much time on it unless he's eating/drinking or walking to his cat box in back. He usually is out in the carpeted dining room or living room. He's just laying down here in this picture.

I forgot to mention that he does have a pretty quiet meow.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I'd describe the Maine Coon meow as quiet, wimpy is a much better word.

Think of Big old Mike Tyson, then try and recall his speaking voice, then apply that to a cat.

Frankie is very handsome.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I'm not sure I'd describe the Maine Coon meow as quiet, wimpy is a much better word.

Think of Big old Mike Tyson, then try and recall his speaking voice, then apply that to a cat.

Frankie is very handsome.
Thank you. Hmmm...I guess I'd say that Frankie has a pretty typical meow but just quieter than some of the other cats that I saw at the Humane Society.