Attack/Defense

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm a little afraid to look into my 13weeks old kittens eyes. Last night he was sleeping on my computer chair (he's such a thief, as soon as I'm up to get something he's there making himself all set for a good nap) and after an hour or so I thought I'd shut down my computer, so I went over and kind of leaned a little over the chair to reach for the mouse and shut the computer down when he wakes up. His ears are on alert, I say "hey Spike" and try to pet him when he jumps on on all four and sets to attack/defense pose "schhhhhhhhhh" , so I moved away and he stood like that for a minute or two, then the rest of the night every time I looked at him he was on alert and just staring at me the entire time as if I was to do something.

Why is this? Did I do something wrong? Do Cats (kittens) just do this from time to time or..?

(He's been his own "normal" self this morning, playing with my covers, with me, biting and paw-fighting)

I must admit I'm a little afraid/cautious looking into his eyes for too long now... just a little! Mostly of fear it'll happen again and maybe next time he'll attack, me it's no problem really but what if the next time it's my almost 2yearold nephew?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats take a direct look into their eyes as a threat, a declaration of war, so it is not a good thing to do. Instead, look to the side of their faces, blink very slowly and then look away. This, in cat language, means 'I like you and I am no threat'. Mine blink back when I do this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Cats take a direct look into their eyes as a threat, a declaration of war, so it is not a good thing to do. Instead, look to the side of their faces, blink very slowly and then look away. This, in cat language, means 'I like you and I am no threat'. Mine blink back when I do this.
Aha, I will do this from now on, I looked into his eyes for quite some time last night a few hours before the "incident"!

Thank you