Signs of Heat?

tkeyes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think my kitty is about to go into heat very soon, but I'm not sure if she is already? My family has only had cats that were already spayed and neutered in the past so we're not sure. The vet said last month that it was going to be soon and that she would need to be spayed. My dad has always been saying the past few days that we should, but he never gets around to it (very annoying).

The last 3 days she's been very destructive, tearing up paper and anything her teeth can rip into. She normally doesn't do this, unless toilet paper is kind of lying around, but this time it was on the toilet ring thing. She's also being a lot more vocal, at night I heard her meowing very differently. Then today she's been more loving, almost sad looking. I don't think she's sick because she still has high spirits and will play. But awhile ago my family and I were in the kitchen and I put her on the floor and she started to scoot her butt up in the air with her tail up a little too. She kept raising it, and meowed a little. My mom scratched right before her tail and she kept raising her butt really high up. Now she's walking around funny and meowing when I just call her name and wants to be near me.

Is she in heat, or about to start? Can you get a cat spayed if she's in heat or do you have to wait until it's over? I'm nervous she'll want out even more, and find a way out and get pregnant (she's very sneaky, and has done that once when she was smaller). She's almost a year, around the end of September she'll be one.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tkeyes

I think my kitty is about to go into heat very soon, but I'm not sure if she is already? My family has only had cats that were already spayed and neutered in the past so we're not sure. The vet said last month that it was going to be soon and that she would need to be spayed. My dad has always been saying the past few days that we should, but he never gets around to it (very annoying).

The last 3 days she's been very destructive, tearing up paper and anything her teeth can rip into. She normally doesn't do this, unless toilet paper is kind of lying around, but this time it was on the toilet ring thing. She's also being a lot more vocal, at night I heard her meowing very differently. Then today she's been more loving, almost sad looking. I don't think she's sick because she still has high spirits and will play. But awhile ago my family and I were in the kitchen and I put her on the floor and she started to scoot her butt up in the air with her tail up a little too. She kept raising it, and meowed a little. My mom scratched right before her tail and she kept raising her butt really high up. Now she's walking around funny and meowing when I just call her name and wants to be near me.

Is she in heat, or about to start? Can you get a cat spayed if she's in heat or do you have to wait until it's over? I'm nervous she'll want out even more, and find a way out and get pregnant (she's very sneaky, and has done that once when she was smaller). She's almost a year, around the end of September she'll be one.
It definately sounds like she is in heat. Some vets will spay a cat in heat...others will not. You need to contact your vet and arrange for her to be spayed.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tkeyes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it safe for them to be spayed while going through that? I don't trust what the vet says that my dad uses since they declawed my kitten and never told my dad the real truth about the procedure or any negative sides to it.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tkeyes

Is it safe for them to be spayed while going through that? I don't trust what the vet says that my dad uses since they declawed my kitten and never told my dad the real truth about the procedure or any negative sides to it.
If you can wait until she is done being in heat..that is safer. However, you need to keep her strictly indoors only. Even if she is not in heat...she can still become pregnant.

Katie

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarabi got spayed while in heat...I simply did not know she had started! However, the heat usually only lasts a few days, so make her appt for the end of next week and get it done.