How do I talk him into this?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometime next year DH and I will be moving into a larger apartment, and that means we can have another furbaby adopt us. I've been looking and looking to see what kind of kitty I want and I've come to a decision, I would like a Sphinx. Now, DH isn't having any of this, he thinks they look like something an alien dropped off on this planet and it refused to take it back with them. Using my feminine powers how do I talk him into this, so it doesn't SEEM like I'm talking him into it?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You hit the nail on the head there Heather.....charm him with your feminine powers.............

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sing the praises of the Sphynx virture of not adding to the 'cat hair everywhere' problem

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm - you need to somehow turn it around so that he thinks it was his idea - they love that - I'll think about it and get back to you......

This is coming from someone who's other half said no don't get a kitty, and now loves her sooo much - he makes a huge fuss of her all the time, feeds her and even scoops her litter tray!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Has he ever seen one in the flesh and touched how soft their skin is?
No, but I have. I think that that may be part of the problem.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Sing the praises of the Sphynx virture of not adding to the 'cat hair everywhere' problem
Ohhhh.... that's a good one! Scratch sheds everywhere!

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really needs to see and touch a Sphinyx first. Everything else would be a secondary step.

It's like convincing a child who had never seen a chocolate bar before that chocolate is not poison.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell him about all the neat shirts he can put on the cat - such as his favorite sports teams?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never liked Spynx's until I actually petted one and fell in love. Do you know anyone who owns one? Maybe you can find a Sphynx breeder, and ask if you can both go along to visit them?

If DH is able to pet their warm, fuzzy skin and see their beautiful personality and not fall in love, then maybe another cat is a good idea. I imagine he will see their beauty once he meets one though

Otherwise, you could just bring one home, and he'll have to deal with it

You do know that you have to have a warm apartment to have a Sphynx? That may mean higher electricity/gas bills if you live in a cool area...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Tell him about all the neat shirts he can put on the cat - such as his favorite sports teams?
He's not really a sports lover, but I'm sure that I can get some cute sweaters for them. My step mom is a retired Papillion breeder, and she has about 10,000 sweaters for her little ones. Some of them are really cute.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

No, but I have. I think that that may be part of the problem.
Witch part the no hair or the soft skin ?
I used to think they were weird to but when I saw Caeser ( don't think I spelled tht right) he's so sweet looking

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take him to a cat show or make an appoinment with a responsible breeder and let him just spend a few hours with one and see how he likes it

If that doesn't work....I would pick someting a little naught up at Victorias Secret
....works like a charm

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ya know... I don't know if a Sphynx is such a good idea. Can you imagine Bit and Scratch's reaction when they first meet it?? I could imagine those two boys doing the equivalent of rolling on the floor, killing themselves laughing at the strange creature! I just have this image in my head of the Sphynx looking all haughty, and Bit and Scratch with tears rolling down their faces and holding their sides....

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about Sphynx's other than they're scary looking (ahh! sorry just an opinion!! I've never pet one though and now I'm intrigued....!) BUT my point is that you can talk up all the good qualities a Sphynx has that you know your hubby will like!

I decided a while ago I wanted a Bengal- so I kept going online and finding cool pictures of the color variations and video's of them playing in the water since I happen to know Chad has *always* wanted a cat that wants to go in the water... At first he was like "We are NOT paying $600 for a cat!" but he would always look at my pics and what I had to show him... so after i've continutued talking about the Bengal we will be getting for a while I finally heard him last night say "Hey Craig we're getting another cat in November" to his buddy! I was amazed!

He thinks it's his idea too! lol

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Ya know... I don't know if a Sphynx is such a good idea. Can you imagine Bit and Scratch's reaction when they first meet it?? I could imagine those two boys doing the equivalent of rolling on the floor, killing themselves laughing at the strange creature! I just have this image in my head of the Sphynx looking all haughty, and Bit and Scratch with tears rolling down their faces and holding their sides....
LOL

My thought was that the Sphynx would take one look at Scratch and think "Oh a play mate and a blanket!" Scratch is so easy going that he would put up with it.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhh... thank you. That just made my day! Your babies are so sweet!

Do you think that it takes a special kind of person to love a Sphynx?

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Ohhhhhh... thank you. That just made my day! Your babies are so sweet!

Do you think that it takes a special kind of person to love a Sphynx?
To know a Sphynx, is to love a Sphynx!

I grew up with cats, but they all had hair. Monte was our first Sphynx and before we got him we talked about getting one other......well we now have six!!!

Check to see if there are any cat shows in your area (CFA OR TICA) and bring DH to one of the shows, there should be a few Sphynx there. I personally show mine in the Great Lakes Region through CFA and the shows are really fun to go to. You can also meet some great breeders at the shows.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Luvmysphynx

Just show him these pictures...how could he resist?
Oh my God, they're NAKED!!!!!

I love Sphynxes, and those pics are gorgeous! They just look so cute and funny