Leukemia Shots - quick info please

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
how long do they last?

can a rat or mouse transmit leukemia? (we have rats in our house)

is it really necessary to get them?

please answer quick. very shortly i'll be at the vet. and i might decide to get the shots. my cats are only house cats, but i know a girl who had her cats get leukemia and it was horrible.

thanks very muck

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, Feline Leukemia is a species specific virus, so it cannot be transmitted from rats.

If they are going to be strictly indoor cats, and not have any contact with cats going in and out, then they really don't need the vaccine.

Indoor only cats only need the "core" vaccines: FVRCP and Rabies.

Your vet should be able to discuss this with you more.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by les

No, Feline Leukemia is a species specific virus, so it cannot be transmitted from rats.

If they are going to be strictly indoor cats, and not have any contact with cats going in and out, then they really don't need the vaccine.

thanks. i chose not to get the vacination. they do have the fvrcp and rabies.

no use giving them something that they dont need.

and btw, thanks for the quick reply. i was able to see it before i went to the vet.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your welcome!! I'm glad you were able to check it before you left.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Les0304

Your vet should be able to discuss this with you more.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
i keep asking what is FVRCP but no one has answered yet, does anyone know? also, cats over one year of age are naturally immune to feline leukemia whether they have ever been vaccinated or not. the only vaccines an indoor cat needs, besides rabies of course, is panleukopenia which they only need once in their lifetime if it is given at or later than six months of age when the immune system is fully mature since it is a modified live virus vaccine and provides lifetime immunity. and they need rhinotracheitis and calcivirus every three years.
all others are unnecessary for an indoor cat.
here is a good website with great information on all the vaccines http://www.doglogic.com/vaccineinfo.htm scroll down for the specific cat vaccines info

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

i keep asking what is FVRCP but no one has answered yet, does anyone know? also, cats over one year of age are naturally immune to feline leukemia whether they have ever been vaccinated or not. the only vaccines an indoor cat needs, besides rabies of course, is panleukopenia which they only need once in their lifetime if it is given at or later than six months of age when the immune system is fully mature since it is a modified live virus vaccine and provides lifetime immunity. and they need rhinotracheitis and calcivirus every three years.
all others are unnecessary for an indoor cat.
here is a good website with great information on all the vaccines http://www.doglogic.com/vaccineinfo.htm scroll down for the specific cat vaccines info
I don't know where you heard that, but cats are NOT naturally immune to leukemia at any age, they can get it any time....from my experience, a cat has a better chance of fighting off the infection if it is transmitted at a later age, or at least living a longer life, but they can still get it. Leukemia is a horrible, horrible disease that is not very well understood, but it should NEVER be underestimated. IMO if your cat has any access to the outdoors, whether it be by accident or whatever, you should vaccinate. Take this from someone who knows exactly what leukemia does and I would never want this disease to happen to any cat or its owner.... you see the kitties in my sig? every single one of them has leukemia, and I also have 3 others not pictured, they are all healthy, vibrant, beautiful babies, but when the leukemia or a related sickness kicks in, they may be gone within a week or 2, and most of the time there is nothing you can do. Please vaccinate!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I don't know where you heard that, but cats are NOT naturally immune to leukemia at any age, they can get it any time....from my experience, a cat has a better chance of fighting off the infection if it is transmitted at a later age, or at least living a longer life, but they can still get it. Leukemia is a horrible, horrible disease that is not very well understood, but it should NEVER be underestimated. IMO if your cat has any access to the outdoors, whether it be by accident or whatever, you should vaccinate. Take this from someone who knows exactly what leukemia does and I would never want this disease to happen to any cat or its owner.... you see the kitties in my sig? every single one of them has leukemia, and I also have 3 others not pictured, they are all healthy, vibrant, beautiful babies, but when the leukemia or a related sickness kicks in, they may be gone within a week or 2, and most of the time there is nothing you can do. Please vaccinate!
i have read it on several sites about vaccination in cats, if you look at the link i posted, you will find it there as well.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i have read it on several sites about vaccination in cats, if you look at the link i posted, you will find it there as well.
this is what I found about the leukemia vaccine:
7. Feline leukemia virus vaccine (Solvay's FeVaxsyn) will be
recommended for all cats that are indoor/outdoor, strictly outdoor, or
living in environments that have constant or potential exposure. Prior
to vaccination of kittens or cats, a FeLV test will be strongly
recommended. Kittens will receive two consecutive vaccinations at
approximately 12 and 16 weeks of age. Adults that are receiving their
first vaccination will also be administered a series of two vaccines
approximately 3 weeks apart. All FeLV vaccines will be given in the
subcutaneous tissue of the left thigh. Cats that are strictly indoors
will be vaccinated at owner request. The American Association of Feline
Practitioners recommends, for the time being, annual revaccination for
FeLV; however, a recent study (Hofmannlehmann et al 1995) showed a
greater than 3 year duration of immunity with the FeLV vaccine in
challenge studies. Thus, the recommendation of the AAFP may be
reassessed soon. We will continue to monitor current information about
the FeLV vaccines available and make changes in our vaccine or protocol
if necessary.
Can you show me where it says about the natural immunity over a year old? I couldn't find it

I personally have been working with leukemia positive cats for 6 years and while I have conducted no clinical studies, i know that a few of my angels had been infected with the virus after one year of age.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
okay, now I found it, but the author doesn't reference any tests or studies to substaniate it
I personally have never heard this claim, and I've done a lot of reading on FeLV.... like I sad in my earlier post, leukemia is not very understood, and can do some strange tricks. Zeus, Demeter and Ismene are from a litter of 5 where the other 2 kittens and the mother all tested negative, Pandora and Antigone are their older sisters, from the same mother, can someone please explain that one to me?? The one thing I do know, with utmost cetainty, about this virus, is that it needs to be stopped, because it also says on that website:
Feline Leukemia Virus Vaccine This virus is the leading viral killer of cats.
If I had "healthy" cats, I would definitely get them vaccinated at least once

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you are right, not one place i have read it quotes any sort of studies to support it, but i have read it on many other sites besides that. thanks for posting your information. i will get my kitties vaccinated once after they turn 6 months even though they are indoor kitties but i would want them to be protected in case they ever got out. better safe than sorry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did vaccinate my oldest many years ago and the other cat I had when she was younger .... I didnt with Zoey since the likely hood of her coming in contact is low and the vaccine has some risks

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

you are right, not one place i have read it quotes any sort of studies to support it, but i have read it on many other sites besides that. thanks for posting your information. i will get my kitties vaccinated once after they turn 6 months even though they are indoor kitties but i would want them to be protected in case they ever got out. better safe than sorry.
Yeah ,that's what I think too, better safe than sorry
I'm almost postive my latest addition Jinx was an indoor/outdoor girl (the one who caught the birdie
) and was never vaccinated.... and now she has it
You just never know what "other" kitties have, there's one neighborhood around here that they keep finding random postives at when they trap the strays, its just a horrible cycle, and leukemia is so easily transmitted, unlike FIV.
There is a lot of contradicting information out there about FeLV, I just mostly go by past experience, give them lots of love & the best food I can afford
I wish I could do more

BTW did you get your kitties the Chicken Soup? do they like it?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I did vaccinate my oldest many years ago and the other cat I had when she was younger .... I didnt with Zoey since the likely hood of her coming in contact is low and the vaccine has some risks
Yeah I've heard about risks also, I definitely wouldn't vaccinate every year, just once at their last shot appt probably, it seems like when they're younger they like to try to get out more anyway

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

not yet, they re still finishing up all that other food they had, they re almost ready for it though )
Great! I'm still on my wet food mission, nobody's cooperating though
I think I've bought every brand of premium wet and have yet to find a winner with everyone, although the Felidae went over very well, and the Merrick's New England Broil was pretty popular last night. Sapphire is my most picky, she seemed to enjoy the Wellness chicken and beef, but I know the next time I give it to her, she won't touch it
Luckily my babies Eros and Nike will eat anything I put in front of them. I'm going to try the Chicken Soup wet after all, just cause I'm running out of options

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah I've heard about risks also, I definitely wouldn't vaccinate every year, just once at their last shot appt probably, it seems like when they're younger they like to try to get out more anyway
I will bring that up to the vet ... Zoey is 2.5 yrs now..

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Great! I'm still on my wet food mission, nobody's cooperating though
I think I've bought every brand of premium wet and have yet to find a winner with everyone, although the Felidae went over very well, and the Merrick's New England Broil was pretty popular last night. Sapphire is my most picky, she seemed to enjoy the Wellness chicken and beef, but I know the next time I give it to her, she won't touch it
Luckily my babies Eros and Nike will eat anything I put in front of them. I'm going to try the Chicken Soup wet after all, just cause I'm running out of options
we re getting way off topic so im gonna pm you

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

i keep asking what is FVRCP but no one has answered yet, does anyone know?
The FVRCP covers :Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, and Panleukopenia.

Once the cat is an adult, we give it every 3 years.