Hurricane Ernesto...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here comes another one....Hurricane Ernesto. If it stays on the track it is now, it's headed this way... right where I'm at. Im not too worried to be honest. In the 15 years I've lived here we have yet to have one hit Pinellas County head on. I usually go to my parent's house since they have a block home, hurricane panels, a generator and what we call "The Hurricane Room"
It's addition to the house that my dad built about 4 years ago. It has it's own power main from the rest of the house so dad can hook up his MASSIVE generator to it. When Jeanne came through the power went out but not for us!
We has A/C, cable, and all the comforts of home!

Gotta love my dad! He can't stand to be uncomfortable so he will go to ANY extent to be comfortable

Here's Ernesto's Track.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You make sure you stay safe!!, good to hear you have somewhere safe to go.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well wasn't that turn unexpected. When I read your title, I thought it isn't hitting Florida.
Wow, guess we have to start paying attention to it now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Well wasn't that turn unexpected. When I read your title, I thought it isn't hitting Florida.
Wow, guess we have to start paying attention to it now
lol Yeap!
I hope it ends up being a Tropical Depression or even better, a thunderstorm!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

lol Yeap!
I hope it ends up being a Tropical Depression or even better, a thunderstorm!
I don't think we will be that lucky.. I just read the new forecast discussions and the storm is intensifying. As it continues on path they say that the environmental and oceanic factors are conducive for rapid intensification. You can read about it here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh.../270900.shtml?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I don't think we will be that lucky.. I just read the new forecast discussions and the storm is intensifying. As it continues on path they say that the environmental and oceanic factors are conducive for rapid intensification. You can read about it here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh.../270900.shtml?
Guess we better batton down the hatches huh?
Only decent thing about hurricanes is when I have to be off work because of them, I get paid for it... So if public schools close, so do we.... one good thing about working for the goverment

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoa! Last night the predicted path had it heading more towards the gulf coast.

I like your dad. Smart guy!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Guess we better batton down the hatches huh?
Only decent thing about hurricanes is when I have to be off work because of them, I get paid for it... So if public schools close, so do we.... one good thing about working for the goverment
Just keep an eye on it... It's still early and you know how often these initial tracks change course. Have you ever noticed that practically every time a hurricane threatens Florida, they make the track head it directly into Jacksonville...
It's like they go out of their way to choose Jax when making their predictions!

The 5 day cone, shows it being right here on Friday:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...341.shtml?5day

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I like your dad. Smart guy!!
40 years being an A/C Tech and he NEVER fails us!
As a kid, he never complained about the electric bill from the A/C..he worked in hot attics and hot roofs and always cranked it when he got home.. He definalty understands not wanting to be uncomfortable.... Even when we went camping, he bought a pop-up camper just so we can have A/C... I love that man!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your dad is seriously COOL!!! Best of Luck to you with however this storm turns out, my sis lives in Destin and they thought at some point yesterday it was going near them but that changed on a dime!!! Be careful all of you who will be dealing with this storm!

chrisstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know you care about your cats more than whats going on the world when you live in Florida and find out this thing is headed at us on a CAT forum rather than the NEWs site

my goodness

Keepin fingers crossed here as well in Orlando, we don't need more!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I'm just wondering, how far are you from St Petersburg. My sister lives in St Petersburg.
I am in Pinellas Park which borders St. Petersburg... I am literally a mile from St. Pete

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the hurricane does touch down and you don't feel safe in your parent's safe room....I'm completely seious when i say this- you and your family are welcome to come to Memphis and stay with my family and I (Jack & kitties included). I also have access to almost all of the veterinarian care in Memphis...so if Rilley has her kits anytime soon, she'd be ok. . We helped out a few families after Katrina, so we know what it's like when families have to evacuate without much notice. I'm sending you lots of prayers and vibes. I really hope this hurricane doesn't hit....but if it does and you need to get out of Florida- my door is open
. If you need my info, feel free to pm me for it.

yuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Ft. Lauderdale so I got the worst of Wilma last year (we just moved back into our condo in July and we're still fixing up the place!) I'm a little too distracted with last years damage to keep up with the storms this year, I'm just glad there hasn't been a lot of them yet... it looks like Ernesto is missing the little corner where I live so that is good news for me!! I have to cross my fingers now that the path doesn't change course!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

If the hurricane does touch down and you don't feel safe in your parent's safe room....I'm completely seious when i say this- you and your family are welcome to come to Memphis and stay with my family and I (Jack & kitties included). I also have access to almost all of the veterinarian care in Memphis...so if Rilley has her kits anytime soon, she'd be ok. . We helped out a few families after Katrina, so we know what it's like when families have to evacuate without much notice. I'm sending you lots of prayers and vibes. I really hope this hurricane doesn't hit....but if it does and you need to get out of Florida- my door is open
. If you need my info, feel free to pm me for it.
That is SO sweet of you and I will keep you in mind!
Dh is actually from Tennessee and would also use it as a chance to see family... I'm watching the storm closely and will take you up on the offer if it gets worse!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is SO sweet of you and I will keep you in mind!
Dh is actually from Tennessee and would also use it as a chance to see family... I'm watching the storm closely and will take you up on the offer if it gets worse!
No problem. Your family is welcome here. If you see that the storm is going to be powerful and want to get out, let me know and i will email you my number and all of the info you may need. I would suggest doing that before it hits and your power is down though. Good luck and be safe. I really hope that hurricane doesn't hit anyone.