Breeders Help!!! How do you remove a red gatoraid stain from,a white Ragdoll's fur???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To make a long story short, yesterday when i returned home from the hospital (i was there all morning having tests done)....I went to check on my 3 foster kittens...kenzie, keiko & lex. When i looked in Lex's cage his whole body was limp and almost lifeless. He had had a seizure...so my first course of action was to get some more fluids into him ( he was already warm from the heating pad. ) I've fostered numerous kittens and seizures aren't too uncommon- the best treatment for them is an IV of fluids or just dropper feeding them fluids. So I grabbed some red gatoraid from the fridge and started giving him the liquids. As i was dropper feeding him , he began to have another seizure and the red gatoraid got all over his fur. He is a white/buff Ragdoll mix...so the combination of red gatoraid with long white fur was not good. I wiped it off with a baby wipe and it turned his fur pink. Since fur color wasn't my priority at that moment i rushed him to the vet after giving him some fluids. And great news- he's doing awesome today- no more seizures, and he's gaining the weight he lost back (he became very sick at his stomach yesterday due to the seizures...so i was worrid about that quick weight loss- i monitor my fosters very,very carefully and chart everything). Well today, he was back to his old self almost, running around everywhere , meowing and playing..and eating well. So i decided to bathe him and try to remove the red/ pink stains. I bathed him in warm sudsy water with baby shampoo- at that age, i like the gentle formula and the fact that it's tearless. Then i put a pinch of conditioner on him. Much to my shock when i took him out and began drying him- the pink stain was still there! My poor baby looks like a little Easter egg.... I didn't want to bathe him anymore tonight and traumatize the poor guy, so I thought i'd try again tomorrow to get the stain off- does anyone know how to remove a red gatoraid stain from a long-haird white kitten...keep in mind i'd prefer not to use any strong chemicals on him because he is still quite young. Please, please help! I've tried to convience poor Lex that it takes a real man to wear pink....but i'm not sure he's so convienced. I'm sure he'd like his beautiful fur coat back to normal! Thankyou

Here are two pictures of little Lex when i first began fostering him (and before his first bath. the gatoraid-bath was his second one)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby shampoo has nothing in it to counteract colors.

What I suggest (since you have white) is to get some shampoo with bluing in it. I use Nexxus Simply Silver (its in salons) on my white rexes (and its great for black/white cats too). It is a dark purple color but it should take the pink out. Let it soak on the spot for a few mins, then rinse very well.

You can just wet the pink spot and wash that area - may take a time or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Baby shampoo has nothing in it to counteract colors.

What I suggest (since you have white) is to get some shampoo with bluing in it. I use Nexxus Simply Silver (its in salons) on my white rexes (and its great for black/white cats too). It is a dark purple color but it should take the pink out. Let it soak on the spot for a few mins, then rinse very well.

You can just wet the pink spot and wash that area - may take a time or two.
Thankyou for the tip!!! It was very helpful! I will definitely be trying that on little Lex the next time i go to the store!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Maybe he can just go punk?
I suggested that to Lex and he said to tell you that he's more of the "romantic type"
lol. He said that he's a snuggler, not a fighter
I do however think that Kenzie, one of the other foster kittens has "gone punk" lol....She rotten!!!lol

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw a picture once of a white cat that had rolled around in a spot on the sidewalk where a child had colored with A LOT of pink chalk. The cat was more pink then white, and I mean hot pink! I think it did eventually come out. You gotta get a picture of your kitty before you try to bath again.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I suggested that to Lex and he said to tell you that he's more of the "romantic type"
lol. He said that he's a snuggler, not a fighter
I do however think that Kenzie, one of the other foster kittens has "gone punk" lol....She rotten!!!lol
ahh! it looks like you are strangling her hehe.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

ahh! it looks like you are strangling her hehe.
I thought about it tonight when she tried to play "attack kitty" with her poor brother who was sound asleep
lol...na, she's rotten- screams day and night- it's soo cute! (the cute ones are always bad
) My fingers were actually under her little arms, but she was squirmy so you can't really tell in the picture. I think it's my favorite Kenzie picture soo far- that expression on her face is priceless. She's such a sassy pants! I love her attitude
She's getting fat too along with her brother Keiko- both of them are pushin 14ounces now! My babies are getting sooo big

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

I saw a picture once of a white cat that had rolled around in a spot on the sidewalk where a child had colored with A LOT of pink chalk. The cat was more pink then white, and I mean hot pink! I think it did eventually come out. You gotta get a picture of your kitty before you try to bath again.
As i've discovered this week...there's nothing like the site of a hot pink kitten to make you laugh
. My poor little Lex
. I will bathe him later this week when he is more resiliant and stronger. Until then, i did buy some clear pedialyte tonight and have been giving that to him to give him some extra fluids and electrolites minus the sugar of sports drinks. He still doesn't look like he feels great, but he is eating and drinking well and i'm keeping him warm and comfortable. I will take some picture of him when he feel better...I don't want to cause him any distress now while he's not feeling well. Although I would like a picture of my pink kitten lol...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lex needs some desperate vibes tonight...he just had another seizure
. I went into his cage to feed him tonight and as i looked in he was having a seizure...it was aweful. My poor baby!
I immediately got him out and began giving him pedialyte (clear this time). He looks soo aweful...to the point where i'm wondering what his comfort level is and if it would be more humane to have him PTS. I've had kitties have seizures before- but they only had one, and they always recovered a few hours later. Lex has had 4 so far that I know of...and Has had iv fluids, fluids, and vet trips. Does anyone know anything about epilepsy(sp?) in kittens??? I'm soo horrified. The only thing i can do for him right now is keep him fed, hydrated, and warm. The vet said there was nothing else they could do...just wait and see. I hate to see my baby like this.
It's 12:30...i start back to college tomorrow...i have a 7:30 class, i've had no sleep, i still need a shower, and i will have to be up throughout the night with the kittens feedings. Please, if ya'll could spare some prayers and vibes for Lex and I they would be much appreciated. I've been crying ever since it happened- it's just soo sad to watch your foster kittens that you've invested soo much love and energy in die right in front of you when there's nothing else you can do. I know i can't save every kitten- but i'm really trying to make a difference in the lives of the ones i have.....I'm not giving up on Lex yet...I want to see how he does through the night. If he is no better in the morning...I will call the shelter and notify them. Please pray for little Lex....he's just not doing so good...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for your sweet wishes and kind words. I hate to say though...Lex didn't make it. He passed away early this morning while i was getting ready ready to feed him before class....I opened his cage to give him his pedalyte and food and when i looked in he was completely lifeless...I think he had another seizure between his last feeding and this morning.....It was really sad. I did wind up taking him to the emergency vet early this morning (i'm very good friends with one of the vets there)...and the vet said at that point there was nothing else that they could do... He said just to take him home and keep him hydrated and comfortable...so that's what i did. I was really hoping he would pull though, but he was just too sick and weak. We tried anti-seizure meds, fluids, ...everything...he was just too sick. We laid him to rest this morning before i left for class This has all been really sad...but i'm at least taking a little comfort in knowing that I honestly tried everything to save him. At least now he is healthy and happy at the rainbow bridge....

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you lost Lex. You did everything you could, he was just too young and weak to fight. He was lucky he had you. He was in the pink, one could say. A little levity. I know it hurts and I am with you.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou ladies....I really appreciate your sweet words. My home feels a little bit empty tonight (even with all of the other animals) without Lex..but i'm definitely happy knowing that he's not in pain or having any more seizures now. Thankyou everyone, I really appreciate your sweet comments.