Help!!! Lex's white fur is stained pink from red gatoraid...even after a bath!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To make a long story short, yesterday when i returned home from the hospital (i was there all morning having tests done)....I went to check on my 3 foster kittens...kenzie, keiko & lex. When i looked in Lex's cage his whole body was limp and almost lifeless. He had had a seizure...so my first course of action was to get some more fluids into him ( he was already warm from the heating pad. ) I've fostered numerous kittens and seizures aren't too uncommon- the best treatment for them is an IV of fluids or just dropper feeding them fluids. So I grabbed some red gatoraid from the fridge and started giving him the liquids. As i was dropper feeding him , he began to have another seizure and the red gatoraid got all over his fur. He is a white/buff Ragdoll mix...so the combination of red gatoraid with long white fur was not good. I wiped it off with a baby wipe and it turned his fur pink. Since fur color wasn't my priority at that moment i rushed him to the vet after giving him some fluids. And great news- he's doing awesome today- no more seizures, and he's gaining the weight he lost back (he became very sick at his stomach yesterday due to the seizures...so i was worrid about that quick weight loss- i monitor my fosters very,very carefully and chart everything). Well today, he was back to his old self almost, running around everywhere , meowing and playing..and eating well. So i decided to bathe him and try to remove the red/ pink stains. I bathed him in warm sudsy water with baby shampoo- at that age, i like the gentle formula and the fact that it's tearless. Then i put a pinch of conditioner on him. Much to my shock when i took him out and began drying him- the pink stain was still there! My poor baby looks like a little Easter egg...
. I didn't want to bathe him anymore tonight and traumatize the poor guy, so I thought i'd try again tomorrow to get the stain off- does anyone know how to remove a red gatoraid stain from a long-haird white kitten...keep in mind i'd prefer not to use any strong chemicals on him because he is still quite young
. Please, please help! I've tried to convience poor Lex that it takes a real man to wear pink....but i'm not sure he's so convienced
. I'm sure he'd like his beautiful fur coat back to normal! Thankyou

Here are two pictures of little Lex when i first began fostering him (and before his first bath
the gatoraid-bath was his second one
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so
...my poor baby looks like a little easter egg. I just feed all 3 of my foster kittens....they're getting so big!
. Kenzie & Keiko weigh almost 14oz! That's soo much progress since i've had them...the shelter thought they would die when i first took them in. They were only a week old and some boys had killed the momma and seriously hurt one of them (kenzie)...since i've had them they are doing a lot better and thriving
. Lex was from a different litter. He's a little ragdoll mix./ Lex ate a bit better tonight...he's back up to 10 1/2 ounces...which is still way too small-but better than yesterday. I'm feeding him consistantly and measuring everything so hopefully he'll get back up to a normal weight soon. He's had quite the sick little stomach from all of the sugary drinks with electrolites in them. Tomorrow i will pick up some pedialite w/o sugar for him
. I thought about getting some Dawn dish soap to wash him with - i think that is what they use on animals after oil spills...it's supposed to be very gentle. But i will consult a vet or experienced groomer before i even consider that - i wouldn't want to hurt him. Till then though, he's a happy pink kitty all snuggled up in his blankets with a full tummy

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his little heart. Poor little guy has been through a lot. He is lucky he is in such caring hands to pull him through. He is so adorable, I would love to cuddle him and nibble his little ears.

chrisstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In high school when our parents wouldn't want us dying our hair with hair dye we would use gatoraid! It wont harm your beauty at all and will definitely fade.. its very temporary!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Bless his little heart. Poor little guy has been through a lot. He is lucky he is in such caring hands to pull him through. He is so adorable, I would love to cuddle him and nibble his little ears.
Thankyou for the sweet compliment- i appreciate that. / He would definitely let you cuddle with himtoo! lol, he's spoiled rotten now
...and thinks all humans were created for pampering him
he's definitely a little kitty cat alright lol...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chrisstie

In high school when our parents wouldn't want us dying our hair with hair dye we would use gatoraid! It wont harm your beauty at all and will definitely fade.. its very temporary!
That's good to know...I felt so bad for the little guy....next time i'll make sure i use blue (a bit more masculine) or clear gatoraid/ pedialyte lol..

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I posted a response for your problem in the one you have in Breeders section
Thankyou sooooo much for your advice in the Breeders forum!!!! I am definitely going to try a blueing shampoo! You are a lifesavor...err....fur savor!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kool Aid is worse! My one son thought he was cute when he got blue kool aid out and put it on my white rex....needless to say I almost had a heart attack. No only was it blue, it was a lot of suger in it.

I immediately washed him with the Nexxus and he came totally clean!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend has a show American Eskimo and she uses Joy dish soap to keep her females fur white.Something about the lemon in Joy that works.With the kit being so young,I'd ask your Vet first though.(I don't think there would be a problem with it though)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lex needs some desperate vibes tonight...he just had another seizure
. I went into his cage to feed him tonight and as i looked in he was having a seizure...it was aweful. My poor baby!
I immediately got him out and began giving him pedialyte (clear this time). He looks soo aweful...to the point where i'm wondering what his comfort level is and if it would be more humane to have him PTS. I've had kitties have seizures before- but they only had one, and they always recovered a few hours later. Lex has had 4 so far that I know of...and Has had iv fluids, fluids, and vet trips. Does anyone know anything about epilepsy(sp?) in kittens??? I'm soo horrified. The only thing i can do for him right now is keep him fed, hydrated, and warm. The vet said there was nothing else they could do...just wait and see. I hate to see my baby like this.
It's 12:30...i start back to college tomorrow...i have a 7:30 class, i've had no sleep, i still need a shower, and i will have to be up throughout the night with the kittens feedings. Please, if ya'll could spare some prayers and vibes for Lex and I they would be much appreciated. I've been crying ever since it happened- it's just soo sad to watch your foster kittens that you've invested soo much love and energy in die right in front of you when there's nothing else you can do. I know i can't save every kitten- but i'm really trying to make a difference in the lives of the ones i have.....I'm not giving up on Lex yet...I want to see how he does through the night. If he is no better in the morning...I will call the shelter and notify them. Please pray for little Lex....he's just not doing so good...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor baby

Is there anyone who can look after him while you are at school? Maybe an emergency vet, or the shelter, or a neighbour? I don't really think he should be left alone in his condition. Poor little guy

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That poor kitty... the shelter should get him on anti seizure medication. Goop handcleaner might work on the stains too. That's what many groomers and cattery owners use to degreese cats but it's also known to be a stain lifter for laundry. Really, I wouldn't worry about it though. Sounds like he's been through too much already to think about bathing the poor guy again.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I will keep you and Lex in my prayers today. Come on little Easter egg, you can pull through it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for your sweet wishes and kind words. I hate to say though...Lex didn't make it.
He passed away early this morning while i was getting ready ready to feed him before class....I opened his cage to give him his pedalyte and food and when i looked in he was completely lifeless...I think he had another seizure between his last feeding and this morning.....It was really sad.
I did wind up taking him to the emergency vet early this morning (i'm very good friends with one of the vets there)...and the vet said at that point there was nothing else that they could do...
He said just to take him home and keep him hydrated and comfortable...so that's what i did. I was really hoping he would pull though, but he was just too sick and weak. We tried anti-seizure meds, fluids, ...everything...he was just too sick. We laid him to rest this morning before i left for class ( someone posted about not leaving him while i'm at school and i didn't want you to worry- so just to clarify....my schedule is super flexible... I have two breaks on Mon and Wed spaced out perfectly to come home and feed my foster kittens, and i have 1 class on Tues, Thrs, and Fri- so i can be home with them and take care of them). This has all been really sad...but i'm at least taking a little comfort in knowing that I honestly tried everything to save him. At least now he is healthy and happy at the rainbow bridge....

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Nikki,

I'm so sorry about little Lex. To me he will always be a brave kitten who could wear pink and keep his masculinity. Rest in peace, Lex.

Jana

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'mmmm soooo very sorry to hear about Lex. The poor little guy.. I definately am sure he's playing with all those kittens up in heaven, who don't care that he's pink,, but he'll always be a sweetheart..

heather

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for your sweet comments everyone. I really appreciate it. It's definitely a little quieter tonight without little Lex here....it's kinda sad. But I am happy knowing that he isn't in pain or having seizures anymore. No kitten should have to go through that....i'm at least glad i could keep him comfortable and warm while he did. Thankyou once again everyone. I appreciate it a lot.
Nikki