Stupid Stupid Stupid! What have I done??!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am always telling people they should keep their cats indoors. It is so dangerous out there...so what did I do? I let my baby Noira outside and now I haven't seen her in 2 days. She was destroying things around the apartment to try to get outside. She would tear out screens and jump from the second story onto pavement. She would rip apart the screen on the door to get out. So one day after she cracked the frame on the screen that the maintenance guy at my apartment complex just replaced the day earlier free of charge...I decided that I would let her go out when she sat and cried at the door all morning long. I started to let her out occationally and I would sit down on the patio and babysit her out there. If she went to far I would call her back or follow her. Then slowly I started letting her out unsupervised. Then Friday morning I let her out and she hasn't come back since. I am so stupid and worried now. Why did I let her out? I always tell other people not to and that something bad could happen...rrgg... luckily she had a bright red collar and identification/phone number so if someone finds her alive or not, they would hopefully have the decency to call me. She never ever went up to strangers though, even in my house she avoided everyone she didn't know, even my boyfriend who lives with me. She isn't afraid of them, just avoids them.

Ohh sorry I had to vent on my stupidity and anger. Why did I let my little girl outside without watching her?

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know how worried you are and I understand that you gave in to letting her out. It is heartbreaking when they really want to. I've been in your situation at least a hundred times but 99 of those times I found my cats.
Call her. Walk further than you think she has gone. If you have followed her before you know where she use to hang out. Meaow and listen, again and again and again. If it is two days now she is probably hiding some where and scared - or locked up in a garage or something.
The most common place I've found my cats is high up in a tree. Then the answer from the cat can be very vague so is it important to stop and listen every fifth meter or something. If you disturb the neighbours - good. After hearing your meowing for a couple of days they will all help you find her just to get you quiet.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I am always telling people they should keep their cats indoors. It is so dangerous out there...so what did I do? I let my baby Noira outside and now I haven't seen her in 2 days. She was destroying things around the apartment to try to get outside. She would tear out screens and jump from the second story onto pavement. She would rip apart the screen on the door to get out. So one day after she cracked the frame on the screen that the maintenance guy at my apartment complex just replaced the day earlier free of charge...I decided that I would let her go out when she sat and cried at the door all morning long. I started to let her out occationally and I would sit down on the patio and babysit her out there. If she went to far I would call her back or follow her. Then slowly I started letting her out unsupervised. Then Friday morning I let her out and she hasn't come back since. I am so stupid and worried now. Why did I let her out? I always tell other people not to and that something bad could happen...rrgg... luckily she had a bright red collar and identification/phone number so if someone finds her alive or not, they would hopefully have the decency to call me. She never ever went up to strangers though, even in my house she avoided everyone she didn't know, even my boyfriend who lives with me. She isn't afraid of them, just avoids them.

Ohh sorry I had to vent on my stupidity and anger. Why did I let my little girl outside without watching her?
Sometimes even when we have the best intentions, we make mistakes. We're human, we're not perfect. Please don't beat yourself up over this sweetie. What i do suggest you do however is borrow/rent a humane trap from your local animal shelter. Bait it with some very very smelly fish such as tuna. After two-three days of being out on her own, she is probably very hungry. Place the trap in an area that will be easy for her to access....and quiet....away from any dogs or such. Check the trap frequently for her. Hopefully you will have your little girl home soon
. I also suggest calling all of your local no-kill shelters, animal shelters, vet offices, and any neighbors to see if they've seen her. Since there is such a high volume of animals in and out of shelters on a daily basis- i suggest actually going up to your local shelters and bringing a picture with you. I'm glad to hear she had the proper id on her when you let her out. Hopefully someone will call you if she turns up. Please don't beat yourself up over this....instead, put that energy towards brining your little one home. Also- whne you do find her, please take her to the vet asap for a thorough testing and also put flea treatment on her if she hasn't already had any. You don't know what she could pick up out there on her own. Have her tested for Feline Leuk. and Feline Aids...also have her dewormed by your vet with Strongent- just in case she develops an intestinal parasite as a result of eating small prey or a mesquito or flea bite. I wish you the best of luck! Keep your chin up sweetie! Your kitty needs you looking out there for her. Also- look in places that you think a kitty might like to hide....quiet, private, up high such as in a tree or balcony,sheds, under cars, etc. I also encourage you to make posters of her with a recent pic and all your viatal info, including where she was last seen and her id #. Take the posters to all of your local shelters, rescue orgs, vets offices, churches, grocery stores, low cost spay/neuter clinics...and post it there. Also- many times it's a great idea to bring one to your local police station to post on their bulletin board. By boyfriend is a cop- and they are always stopping to pick up strays and bring them into the shelter and off of the streets- the all are animal lovers there....i'm sure your local cops wouldn't mind looking if they see her. Good luck! I'm sending you lots of vibes tonight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks everyone. I put the humane trap outside with tuna last night. I bought one last year so it was handy. She has also been completely vaccinated and just recently flea treated. There is one stray in the neighborhood right now whom I actualy just found a home for. He goes on Monday. I keep very close tabs on the roaming cats here to find out which have a home and are neutered and which are strays, then I rehome the strays. Anyways, I went out last night to look for Noira at about 3am and I will do it again tonite. Tomorrow I will call places to see if anyone found her. I will make fliers right now...

Thanks...

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jen, I can totally relate to this. I have a cat the refuses to stay in the house. I tried but he was destroying stuff and spraying...anything to get my attention to put him out. He would look me in the eye as he was peeing on my kitchen cabinet and I can't tell you how many lamps he broke and blinds he ruined etc. We finally reached a compromise. He gets to go out during the daytime but comes in right before dark. He does come in several times throughout the day to nibble on food. He hardly ever leaves the yard but does venture over to my neighbor's house occasionally and sits in her window to watch her birds. I worry about him and pray nothing ever happens but we were both miserable. He has gotten locked up in my neighbor's garage several times so if I don't see him that's the first place I look.

Don't give up hope of her coming back. I had a kitty escape from a slit in my screen that I didn't know was there. She was gone for nine days and I was sure I would never see her again. Early one morning I heard a soft meow coming from my porch and opened the door and there she was. I believe she was trapped somewhere because she was so thin, hungry and thirsty. I would suggest checking with animal control to be sure she wasn't picked up or turned in. When I lived in an apartment complex the management sat traps around at night to catch cats because there were so many strays. I hope everything turns out okay and she comes back home.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CathyC

Jen, I can totally relate to this. I have a cat the refuses to stay in the house. I tried but he was destroying stuff and spraying...anything to get my attention to put him out. He would look me in the eye as he was peeing on my kitchen cabinet and I can't tell you how many lamps he broke and blinds he ruined etc. We finally reached a compromise. He gets to go out during the daytime but comes in right before dark. He does come in several times throughout the day to nibble on food. He hardly ever leaves the yard but does venture over to my neighbor's house occasionally and sits in her window to watch her birds. I worry about him and pray nothing ever happens but we were both miserable. He has gotten locked up in my neighbor's garage several times so if I don't see him that's the first place I look.

Don't give up hope of her coming back. I had a kitty escape from a slit in my screen that I didn't know was there. She was gone for nine days and I was sure I would never see her again. Early one morning I heard a soft meow coming from my porch and opened the door and there she was. I believe she was trapped somewhere because she was so thin, hungry and thirsty. I would suggest checking with animal control to be sure she wasn't picked up or turned in. When I lived in an apartment complex the management sat traps around at night to catch cats because there were so many strays. I hope everything turns out okay and she comes back home.
That is exactly how she was, destroying things but she didn't spray thank god. She did before she was spayed but not since. But she is exactly the same, would go out during the day and come home in the evening. She would come in throughout the day to snack or use the litterbox. But she generally stays in this area. She is always found in the little landscape area in front of my apartment complex office. Everyone right around here know who she is and that she belongs to me too. The neighbors like to let her sit in their windows and watch them. So I have a good chance of someone spotting her.

kittyluv4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, good luck with that.

I know the feeling- Kitty is/was a feral and she cannot and willnot stay inside. First off, one of my family members is extremely allergic, and I mildly am (unfortunately). Second, I tried keeping her in the garage (which is like a room cause it's heat/aired.) and she would not stay in the garage... she hated it! So she has to stay outside. I know it's not the idealist setup... but she thrives.

Anyway, being the situation, one time she went around the corner of my house (as usual), but this time my neighbors dog barked and it scared her, so she jumped onto a tree. Well, for some reason, she fell off the tree and into my neighbors yard. The dog was there immediately. She hissed, and ran down the fence, dog shortly behind. We have acre yards here, so I couldn't see where she went or what happened... I was terrified! Thoughts were running through my head; Did the dog get her... did she collapse from heat exhaust (100 degree weather)... did she get lost... I was so clueless!

Well, she didn't come back for 3 days... I was sure she'd never come back again, but on the 4th day she came back!! When I saw her I screamed!! She ate and drank so fast! Oh, I thought she was surely gone, but here she was!

She has never been gone since! She stays on my porch, eats her food, and plays with me. She is happy!

-- I thought maybe this would be encouraging for you to read. You will find your kitty, it's just a matter of time. I will be sending good vibes your way!

(((((HUGS))))), Ashley --

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Hey thanks everyone. I put the humane trap outside with tuna last night. I bought one last year so it was handy. She has also been completely vaccinated and just recently flea treated. There is one stray in the neighborhood right now whom I actualy just found a home for. He goes on Monday. I keep very close tabs on the roaming cats here to find out which have a home and are neutered and which are strays, then I rehome the strays. Anyways, I went out last night to look for Noira at about 3am and I will do it again tonite. Tomorrow I will call places to see if anyone found her. I will make fliers right now...

Thanks...
I'm soo glad to hear you baited traps and are making flyers. I hope you find her soon
. I would caution you to check the traps periodically...especially during hot weather, rain,etc..
Good luck!!! I hope she comes home soon!. I'm really praying for you and sending you lots of vibes that she returns home safely. Keep us posted
. Also, when you find her, have her dewormed with Strongent by a vet to be on the safe side and also have her tested again for feline aids and leukemia since she's been outside and exposed to such things. I wish you the best of luck!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went and searched every tree in the imediate area. Her favorite spots are up in trees I think. She goes high up and then comes down all the time. She always gets out of them too. Only once did she get into a trre with the lowest branch too high off the ground and I stood under her and held my arms out and she jumped into them. That was a cool little trust thing for her to do, I thought that was amazing.

So someone either has her and isn't calling me (but she doesn't approach anyone here, I have seen her and she will always keep at least a 5 foot distance. It's like she isn't afraid just cautious and keeps her distance when she doesn't knwo the person. I also don't see her being so completely scared that she is hiding right within a few feet. She goes out all the time, all day and then comes in at night. She has her favorite spots but she is not a fraidy cat. I would say that she could have gotten her collar off but she has always worn one and never even made an effort to get it off, she always seemed to like wearing it, or else she is ill or injured.
My baby... Picking favorites amoung your cats is like picking a favorite kid but she was really special to me. She trusted me completely and was so affectionate to me only.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart....I know this is a really hard time for you, but please don't give up yet. Your baby is out there and is waiting for her mommy to find her
. Try to keep your chin up and get creative with your "search" efforts. Have you left flyers and called the local shelters yet? I know this is really hard for you, so i just wanted to let you know that you and your little furbaby are in my prayers tonight and i'm sending you lots of vibes. She will turn up- just be patient and have a bit of faith. Feel free to pm me if you need someone to vent to. I hope your night gets better sweetie. Try not to worry too much- cats are instinctual predators and are designed for the "great outdoors" i'm sure she is just fine right now....probably just a little disorented and scared is all...You will find your little girl soon

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sending {{{come home soon prayers and vibes}}} out to Noira!!! The dilemma of an inside/outside cat is very, very difficult. Some cats seem to need more exercise than others (same as people - unless I can go jogging, I am prone to kidney infections and other kidney issues; since my neck injury 8 years ago, my kidney probs. just keep getting worse). JC is prone to bladder problems as well, and my vet discussed it with me and I have been allowing him outside. The dread in my heart is awful, because I cant bear the thought of him being attacked or injured even though it's a very cat-friendly area; however, I am haunted by what happened to my first JC who always yearned to enjoy the great outdoors, but I kept him inside for safekeeping - he got cancer and had to be PTS
When I see my parents' outside cats who have outlived him, I wished so much that I would have known that he had been allotted so little time
I wished that he could have enjoyed the sunshine, fresh air, chasing bugs & leaves... I guess this life is just a gamble.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Aww Jen
Try not to feel too bad about letting Noira out.
It takes a heck of a lot of willpower to say no to them when they are being like that.

My cat Meir used to be terrible,he would hide near the door and try to bolt out when
I wasn't expecting.
I had to be very careful to make sure the windows were on the lock too as he used to lift the handle on the window and jump out.He managed it three times in the past ten years

At times I felt really guilty keeping him in,especially as I knew nothing of his life before I found him.
I used to tell him "You have a new life now,and whatever you try it WONT work
"

He'd pull his face and sulk in the bedroom

{{{{Sending Prayers for you and Come home safe Vibes for Noira
}}}}

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any news yet?

I really hope your furbaby comes home to you soon! It is so hard to have someone you love go missing. I really hope you find her soon!

Big hugs and sending many good thoughts your way!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have had the trap out for two nights now (and all day) with tuna fish in it. No doubt if cats could smell it, I just open the back door and I can smell it. Nice to know there aren't a ton of stray cats anymore in the area, but no sign of Noira either. I know cats are different if they are ill or injured, but if she was perfectly healthy should would have been around at least. She goes outside often and I always can go out there and call her and she will comes running. I don't see her cowering in the corner unless something is wrong with her. She is a brave little girl, she sleeps on the back patio under the wicker chair so she can watch the birds at the bird feeder. If she was around she would be there meowing to come in or sleeping on the back patio or something...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Makes you wonder where all the stray cats are.
You mean since I have not trapped anything at all? I am pretty confident to say that there for once are no more strays right now in this immediate area. I have trapped a whole crew of them in the past 3 years that I lived here and the very last one that I know of was just taken to his new home today but me. I keep close tabs on roaming cats and who belongs to someone and who doesn't. Lots of people leave their cats behind when they move so pretty soon there will be more, but I am pretty sure there are no strays right in this area right now. I have left a bowl of food in the front patio too the past few days and it is still there, well I have been dumping it and refilling it but it hasn't been touched.

As for my poor Noira, I am pretty sure she is not physically able to get home. One thing she always did when outside was as soon as it started raining she would charge home and howl to come in and it rained all day today and yesterday. I went up and down the roads here looking on the side in the ditches and such. I also looked in the drain things on the side of the road, the one right in front of my house is one she went into a lot so if she went in and then it started raining, she could have been washed to who knows where those drains end up...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. If I hadn't moved I would have to help you look.

Try to believe the best instead of the worst for now. Maybe her collar did come off, and someone has found her and is trying to figure out where her home is. Take out and ad in the paper (both the stater and the courier, if you can afford it) with a pic. That's the only way I ever figured out who a stray I took to Petguards belonged to.

Little Noira will be in my thoughts.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey just thought I would let everyone know she just came back! I actually trapped her. She was so hungry. I have a feeling she was stuck somewhere and couldn't come back.

I was laying in bed watchin tv with my other cat Willoughby on my lap. I thought I heard a meow but I didn't react because I think I hear her meow like 15 times a day and run out to check the trap. But then I heard it again and Willoughby looked at the window and so then I got up. Really only because he heard it hehe.

I looked out the back window and saw her red collar. So yay!! She is back. She seems perfectly normal and fine and acts like her old self! Just came in and ran to the food. Thanks for all your guys encouragement!!