My kittens destroyed my duvet cover

brigitte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need some advice. I have two, five month old kittens; they are brother and sister. Today they destroyed my duvet cover by clawing and scratching at it. They use their claws all the time; they don't jump up onto the couch or bed, they claw their way up. I know they are capable of jumping as they jump up onto the cupboards with no problems. We cut their nails about once a month. We had a scratching post for them but they didn't use it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get them to not use their nails all the time????

Thanks,
Brigitte (Monica and Ross's very annoyed mom)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brigitte

I need some advice. I have two, five month old kittens; they are brother and sister. Today they destroyed my duvet cover by clawing and scratching at it. They use their claws all the time; they don't jump up onto the couch or bed, they claw their way up. I know they are capable of jumping as they jump up onto the cupboards with no problems. We cut their nails about once a month. We had a scratching post for them but they didn't use it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get them to not use their nails all the time????

Thanks,
Sure, buy a huge scratching post and flavor it with cat nip or something that will attract them to it. You also may want to by soft paws/soft claws to put over their nails. The goal here is to make the things you want them to scratch look very attractive, and the things you don't want them to scratch look bad. If they are doing it to a couch or another piece of furniture wrap the bottom of it in bubble wrap or foil they won't like the feel of it on their claws. That's about all I have, I'm sure that someone else will be around to give more advice than I did.

Here's a link to soft claws http://www.softclaws.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brigitte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those soft claws look cool, I think I'd use them if the catnip on o scratching post doesn't work. Has anyone tried these soft claws??? I don't know if I like the idea of gluing these on to there nails.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used them - they work very well. Sometimes you have to put a couple back on but I really liked them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brigitte

Thanks,
Brigitte...if they are able to claw your duvet cover and scratch it...then you really need to trim their nails more often. I trim my cats nails every week.

Katie

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Brigitte...if they are able to claw your duvet cover and scratch it...then you really need to trim their nails more often. I trim my cats nails every week.

Katie
Keep the claws well trimmed and it should make a big difference.