Add oil to food to help for hairballs?

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for a cat to vomit a full meal just to get rid of a hairball? My cat is very fussy about being brushed, so it's hard to get her hair out. She's of medium length. She's been vomiting about once a week or every other week or so, and it's always a full meal that comes up, with either a small grape's worth of hair in it, or hair is mixed into the food that she has eaten. The food looks mushy but you can recognize what it is; somewhat lumpy still. She's on Nutro Natural Adult kibbles, and she's 1 yr old. Somebody said to add oil to her food. Do you agree?

I just bought her a new big bag of food and I really don't want to toss that much food. But I think it might be a good idea to get her on hairball food? Or is there anything else recommended for hairballs?

Can I expect that hair is the reason for her vomiting? I will be taking her in to the vet for a check-up soon, so will ask the vet then. But I'd love your input.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oil about a teaspoon a few times a week./.. Is she on the regular or the indoor?? She is on a hairball control food ... How long has she been on it???

Vet basis makes a non petroleum hairbaqll goop , I use it with my girls as needed

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappyViking

Is it normal for a cat to vomit a full meal just to get rid of a hairball? My cat is very fussy about being brushed, so it's hard to get her hair out. She's of medium length. She's been vomiting about once a week or every other week or so, and it's always a full meal that comes up, with either a small grape's worth of hair in it, or hair is mixed into the food that she has eaten. The food looks mushy but you can recognize what it is; somewhat lumpy still. She's on Nutro Natural Adult kibbles, and she's 1 yr old. Somebody said to add oil to her food. Do you agree?

I just bought her a new big bag of food and I really don't want to toss that much food. But I think it might be a good idea to get her on hairball food? Or is there anything else recommended for hairballs?

Can I expect that hair is the reason for her vomiting? I will be taking her in to the vet for a check-up soon, so will ask the vet then. But I'd love your input.
Abby is 8 years old and that's the way she rids herself of hairballs. At first I was concerned and thought she was sick, but I eventually noticed a pattern forming. She eats well and retains her food most of the time, but will go and gorge herself on food and then promptly throw it up when she has to get rid of a hairball.

She won't take that hairball remedy, and I've tried giving her just plain Vaseline Petroleum Jelly but she's only willingly taken that once. I've just accepted the fact that gorging and throwing up is her way to get rid of hairballs, just like Chynna's way is to expel them in her stools in the litter box.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappyViking

Your cat sounds kind of like my Julie. She sheds a lot and hates being brushed, and when she has a hairball, she will eat too much and then vomit to get rid of the hair.

I've found that it helps to use grooming glove while petting her, to remove some of the loose fur. She doesn't know she's being "brushed". I try to do this every day. Petromalt hairball gel given once or twice a week also helps.

Hairball foods and treats have never worked for my cat; the high fiber content only made her stools larger and smellier without doing a thing for the hairballs.