TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › will you talk to my mom?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

will you talk to my mom?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
will you explaine to my mom the pros of giving a kitten away at 10-12 weeks instead of 8? i'll have her read your replies but she thinks that people would like younger kittens and i explained how Kitty needs to still teach them stuff but she says that if they are given away at 10-12 weeks instead of 8 that no one will want them and that they will have to be put in a kill shelter since all the shelters around here are either full or kill shelters.

we have very little money and having so many cats is giving my mom allergies. one or 2 is fine but we have 9 right now (Kitty, Buddha, Habusaki and the 6 babies)

i really dont want to give them away too early but my mom thinks that since everyone else in this city gives cats away at 8 weeks then we should too because she thinks that people will want tiny kittens. she's getting really fed up with my "kitten rules crap" and i dont know how else to tell her nicely that we just cannot give them away for free at 8 weeks! i love these kittens to death and i just dont want anything to happen to them!
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSIEnKITTY View Post
she says that if they are given away at 10-12 weeks instead of 8 that no one will want them and that they will have to be put in a kill shelter since all the shelters around here are either full or kill shelters.
That is the saddest thing I have ever heard. I am sorry your mother won't listen to you when you are so completely right. Frusterating isn't it? Isn't the cats well-being more important to your mother then satisfying the public interest in kittens? Why the heck would they have to go to a kill shelter if they are adopted out 2 or 3 weeks later? There are no-kill shelters that might be able to take them. The fact that your mother said that makes me think she doesn't really care about those poor kittens at all

And what does it matter what everyone else in town is doing. The fact that taking kittens away from the mother at 8 weeks is way too early. At the absolute earliest 10 weeks, preferably 12 weeks. There is so very many important things those kittens need to learn from the mother in that period of time. (there is always the acception though if the mother is pushing them away or something) To say that if you give them away earlier no one will want them is crazy and ignorant. Your mother needs to read up on kitten care. Don't do what everyone else is doing. Ironic thing is that you probably grew up with her telling you not to just do what everybody else is doing...

Also, do NOT give the kittens away. Charge an adoption fee. Horrible things can happen to free pets. Show her this if she has a problem charging an adoption fee. http://www.animalaidsw.org/free.html Have her read that.

Are you going to have your cat spayed so she doesn't keep producing kittens? We can help you find low cost clinics and until then she needs to be kept strictly indoors and away from intact males.
post #3 of 18
I keep thinking of more things to say but I just can't beleive your own mother would say she is sick of your kitten rules crap. I mean, she is your MOTHER. Doesn't she value or knowledge and opinion? I really hope you can make her realize she is wrong. I mean, at least she isn't trying to rehome them at 5 weeks or something. But 8 weeks is still so young.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
do not say my mom doesnt care. my mom does have the best intrest in mind. she wants to adopt them out young becuase all the no kill shelters are full (she checked in 5 states around us too). she has good intentions it is just that she doenst know as much about it as i do. i've tried to explaine it to her but i figured you guys could explaine it better.

please do not ever say my mom does not care about them. if my mom didnt care she would have thrown them all on the side of the highway a long time ago. she is getting sick from them yet she is stil trying to find ways to make it work. i'm sorry if i seem angry but i was a little offended. she just doesnt understand is all and she needs a good solid explination.

she doesnt want to sell them for money because there are all kinds of free kittens in the paper and no one will want a $5 moggie (is that the term?). she is trying to do her best to keep them out of the shelter and she will make ABSOLUTLY sure that they go to a good home. she loves those kittens just as much as i do but we cant keep them for a long time.

all i need is for someone to explain why kittens should stay with their moms until at least 10 weeks. please do not criticize my mom. just explaine it to her. If i showed your comment to my mom she would never let me come to this site again. dont ever say stuff like that about her.

and yes, i do have a place where i am getting Kitty spayed. thank you for your help though.
post #5 of 18
hey sorry it sounded like you were mad about your mother being like this. They way you said it, it made it seem like she doesn't care about their welfare at all.I was concerned becuase you were concerned. It made it sound like your mom was being mean and just yelling at you about your kitten rules and I couldn't believe your mom would treat you or them that way. Sorry if I overreacted but I just took it that way from the tone in your posting. But the fact is that if your mother is more concerned with finding them a home quick when they are too young then holding on to them until they are a little older and more mature makes it seem like your mother doesn't have their best interest at heart. The fact that she won't listen to you and your reasoning would frusterate the heck out of me
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
me and my mom do get in fights about it but its just that she doesnt completely understand just how important it is. i didnt mean for it to sound like i'm mad at her. i apologize.

Quote:
But the fact is that if your mother is more concerned with finding them a home quick when they are too young then holding on to them until they are a little older and more mature makes it seem like your mother doesn't have their best interest at heart.
and yes... she does have their best interest at heart.... what she thinks is she would rather give them away 2 weeks too early than put them in a shelter where they might not ever find a home. she is not trying to get rid of them just to get rid of them, she is trying to find them good homes becuase she thinks that not alot of people will want them when they are 10-12 weeks old and we cant keep them until they are 15-16 weeks old and she does not want them to end up in a shelter. sounds like she's got good intentions to me. she may not be doing the right thing but she is doing what she thinks is best and i am just trying to help educate her.

dont worry because i will not let her give them away at 8 weeks. please no more griping about my mom.
post #7 of 18
There is nothing wrong with finding the kittens homes at 8 weeks. They are ready for their first set of shots at 8 weeks, they should be eating solid foods and using the litter box. They are even old enough to be fixed as long as they weigh 2 lbs or over.

I got my baby when he was seven weeks and he is going to be ten in april and he is well adjusted and the best cat I have ever had. Any vet will tell you 8 weeks is a good age.

Please get your momma cat fixed.
post #8 of 18
http://www.breedlist.com/faq/young.html

This is an excellent article, referring to many reasons to keep kittens until 12-14 weeks of age. I would never let a kitten go at 8 weeks. While some people have done well raising a kitten from 8 weeks old and on, it is best for the kitten to stay with Mom and littermates. My vet also believes it is the best for the kitten to wait until the appropriate age. I would recommend finding a vet who will perform pediatric spays and neuters, and charge that amount for the kitten, and in helping to get the Mother cat spayed, so this doesn't happen again. I know many people who would pay for a well cared for "moggie". Many people go to shelters and rescues every day to pay for kittens/cats.
This may not change your Mom's mind, and though I don't know your age, I respect your stance and how mature you are at trying to speak with your Mom about your opinions. I have met many who just don't realize the benefits of keeping kittens and puppies, and hopefully she will find that you educated her on the subject. Could you speak with a local shelter about helping you to find homes while you continue to foster them? I wish you the best.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace2006 View Post
There is nothing wrong with finding the kittens homes at 8 weeks. They are ready for their first set of shots at 8 weeks, they should be eating solid foods and using the litter box. They are even old enough to be fixed as long as they weigh 2 lbs or over.

I got my baby when he was seven weeks and he is going to be ten in april and he is well adjusted and the best cat I have ever had. Any vet will tell you 8 weeks is a good age.

Please get your momma cat fixed.
Yes but 8-12 weeks is such a crutial time for the kittens to learn a whole lot of things from their momma.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags View Post
http://www.breedlist.com/faq/young.html

This is an excellent article, referring to many reasons to keep kittens until 12-14 weeks of age. I would never let a kitten go at 8 weeks. While some people have done well raising a kitten from 8 weeks old and on, it is best for the kitten to stay with Mom and littermates. My vet also believes it is the best for the kitten to wait until the appropriate age. I would recommend finding a vet who will perform pediatric spays and neuters, and charge that amount for the kitten, and in helping to get the Mother cat spayed, so this doesn't happen again. I know many people who would pay for a well cared for "moggie". Many people go to shelters and rescues every day to pay for kittens/cats.
This may not change your Mom's mind, and though I don't know your age, I respect your stance and how mature you are at trying to speak with your Mom about your opinions. I have met many who just don't realize the benefits of keeping kittens and puppies, and hopefully she will find that you educated her on the subject. Could you speak with a local shelter about helping you to find homes while you continue to foster them? I wish you the best.
i'll try to talk to her about an adoption fee but i just dont know. i'll do my best. she has agreed to keeping them until at least 10 weeks. i have to get a job (i'm 15) so i can help with money. *sigh* the things i do for these cats.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with finding the kittens homes at 8 weeks. They are ready for their first set of shots at 8 weeks, they should be eating solid foods and using the litter box. They are even old enough to be fixed as long as they weigh 2 lbs or over.

I got my baby when he was seven weeks and he is going to be ten in april and he is well adjusted and the best cat I have ever had. Any vet will tell you 8 weeks is a good age.

Please get your momma cat fixed.
it doesnt always end up like that though. they should still be learning manners from the mama cat so 8 weeks is still too youg. its kinda like having your kid move out at 16 vs. 18. it happens and sometimes the kid ends up fine but most times that is not the case, and the child ends up in a bad situation (i've seen many of my own friends go through this ) Kitty will be getting spayed, thank you.
post #11 of 18
jessie i really understand where your coming from im having the same problem with my husband, i get the im older and wiser routine i often copy and paste pages and email them to him but he never reads them. disscussions end up in arguments at the moment i know of at least 6 cards that have been in shop windows offering 6 week old kittens to free homes i have rung all these people and told them to look at this site so far 2 cards have been taken down and one has put an adoption fee on there card.i cant change everyones mind but i know that i tried,as for my husband he wont go near the kittens (he doesnt want to become emotionally attached) but im sticking by my guns the kittens are going no where until 12 weeks plus its my friends that the kittens are going to and they know it will be 12 weeks before they can have them if he ever gave them away while i was out id leave him and he knows i would!
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSIEnKITTY View Post
she says that if they are given away at 10-12 weeks instead of 8 that no one will want them and that they will have to be put in a kill shelter since all the shelters around here are either full or kill shelters.
They are still the cutest, tiniest bundles of fluff at 12 weeks. Anyone who wouldnt want one at that age (too old) shouldnt be having a kitten at all. As everyone else has said - while kittens do ok going at 8 weeks, it really would be better if you could keep them til 10 weeks. They learn so much from mom and siblings even when they're weaned.
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantigers View Post
They are still the cutest, tiniest bundles of fluff at 12 weeks. Anyone who wouldnt want one at that age (too old) shouldnt be having a kitten at all. As everyone else has said - while kittens do ok going at 8 weeks, it really would be better if you could keep them til 10 weeks. They learn so much from mom and siblings even when they're weaned.
i am dont worry . remember guys that i am the one for keeping the kittens until 10-12 weeks and my mom is the uneducated one about it.

thanks for all of your advice guys!
post #14 of 18
Specifically, the problems kittens have when placed too early can be litterbox problems, or inappropriate "play" behaviors. Like attacking hands and feet. Also depending on the breed, some turn into blanket-suckers, or eat inappropriate things, which can cost the owner a LOT of money, or they may abandon the kitten.
post #15 of 18
Why don't your mom and you make a compromise?

Advertise the kittens at 8 weeks; have people come over and see them (and, with luck, fall hopelessly in love). But have them wait until the kittens are old enough--three, four more weeks--to claim them. Arrange weekly visits so that the kitten gets to know its new owner.

You can charge prospective owners the cost of spay/neuter at a nearby vet's, if there's one around who does young cats. (The anesthesia for a young cat is a bit more tricky, so not all vets do it; but the procedure itself is as simple as any spay/neuter.) That way, not only will you have weeded out bad owners, you'll also have made sure that the kittens won't be contributing to the already bad cat overpopulation problem.
post #16 of 18
THE KITTEN AT TWELVE WEEKS
At twelve weeks of age, most kittens are weaned or nearly fully so, have had adequate socialization with mother and siblings, have received their full series of kitten shots, and have gotten through the critical immune system "kick-over" period. Properly handled and socialized by people, these kittens have learned to explore their world and will meet it with a happy, outgoing confidence that will carry them throughout their lifetime. This may vary from cat to cat, or breed to breed.

I might be mistaken but isn't this your momma cats second litter back to back. Since she is not fixed was she up to date on her shots?
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callista View Post
Why don't your mom and you make a compromise?

Advertise the kittens at 8 weeks; have people come over and see them (and, with luck, fall hopelessly in love). But have them wait until the kittens are old enough--three, four more weeks--to claim them. Arrange weekly visits so that the kitten gets to know its new owner.
This is a really good idea - we had 8 kittens to find homes for, so I started talking to people early, and they would come by the house and play with the kitties every so often. (The sisters who each took one came over almost every day after school)
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callista View Post
Why don't your mom and you make a compromise?

Advertise the kittens at 8 weeks; have people come over and see them (and, with luck, fall hopelessly in love). But have them wait until the kittens are old enough--three, four more weeks--to claim them. Arrange weekly visits so that the kitten gets to know its new owner.

You can charge prospective owners the cost of spay/neuter at a nearby vet's, if there's one around who does young cats. (The anesthesia for a young cat is a bit more tricky, so not all vets do it; but the procedure itself is as simple as any spay/neuter.) That way, not only will you have weeded out bad owners, you'll also have made sure that the kittens won't be contributing to the already bad cat overpopulation problem.
that is a fantastic idea! i'll talk to her about that. i already have 2 of my friends intersested in kittens so that is good too.

Quote:
I might be mistaken but isn't this your momma cats second litter back to back. Since she is not fixed was she up to date on her shots?
no she isnt but she will be. thankyou for your concern but please dont worry about the welfare of my mama cat. she is well taken care of but she's a little freakin Hudini. she will be spayed and she will get shots. my family does not have a lot of money so it will be done when we can afford it. to my mom, the welfare of our family comes before anything else.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › will you talk to my mom?