A warning about those fire stickers for your pets

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband just told me that our city fire department stopped supporting those stickers you place on windows for children and pets because perverts and robbers are using them in our city. It's sort of a "this way please!" for people with bad intensions. I just wanted to warn others that this is a new trend and that you should take down your stickers. I guess most people put the pets stickers and the children inside stickers at the bedrooms of kids- which of course tells perverts and robbers exactly where to go in your house. Just an FYI.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little confused. Does this warning only apply if you have kids? I only have one out-facing window, and my sticker would just say "1 cat"... I'm not sure how that would attract a robber or a pervert?

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's an interesting concept and quite sad that the actions of a few deviants may prevent the life saving notification to firemen that there is a special need in certain homes.

I don't see that this would apply to the cat stickers, though. I have have an emergency pet sticker on a window on each side of the house and would put up a banner across all four sides if it was acceptable.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for the warning. That's the first i've heard about anything like that. It's kinda creepy too. I'd almost be scared not to put it on a window if it could potentially save a child's life ..but at the same time, i wouldn't want a perv to abduct the child- that's a hard call to make. We have 2 stickers- one on the front window and one on the back of the house for my mom & I and our animals. I'm going to ask Colin tonight if he's heard of anything like this, he's not a firefighter, but he is a cop- maybe he can shed some light on this topic too
. Thanks for the info!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think that anyone who wanted to rob a house would probably know you have kids from either watching the house, or by the time they got in the door – the toys on the ground! I’d prefer to take the risk and make sure in an emergency people knew my kids/pets were in there!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a firefighter website saying that when you put the sticker in the kids' rooms, then someone who will break in knows that if they break in that window they will be met with the least physical resistance. So put it by the front door, which makes more sense anyway.
http://santamonicafire.org/safety/childsafe.htm