long hair problem

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 of my cats *pilchard*..is 3 years old shes always had a problem with knotted fur but this summer ive notice the problems got worse..we brush her every day but somehow she still manages to get knots mainly on her back end near her bum..weve cut most of them off but was wondering if theres some kind of spray that u can use to help this problem..i feel soo sorry for her

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I share your pain. We have always had long-haired cats and have the same problem. I was told that summer, i.e. hot weather is actually worse for their fur. I try to be vigilant about combing/brushing too but somehow our cat, Neely, still gets mats in her fur, usually on her belly and hind legs. When it gets out of control I take her to the groomers. However, if you go the groomer's route it is very important to go to someone you trust. Best of luck.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by animal

1 of my cats *pilchard*..is 3 years old shes always had a problem with knotted fur but this summer ive notice the problems got worse..we brush her every day but somehow she still manages to get knots mainly on her back end near her bum..weve cut most of them off but was wondering if theres some kind of spray that u can use to help this problem..i feel soo sorry for her
There's not a "product" in the world that takes the place of elbow grease.

Instead of brushing try using a metal comb on her daily. And if she is overweight and cannot properly groom the area herself, get her trimmed down

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A comb works much better then a brush in getting out the dead hair so it doesn't knot. It also helps to bathe with a cat shampoo that also conditions. But bathing will make matts worse, so you have to comb them out before bathing. Bathing regularly helps keep my persians matt free.