A panicked phone call... and a solution.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother recently acquired a Bull Mastiff, Buttercup. She has gone to doggie boot camp, and has come back a wonderfully trained doggie. Here's the deal, his kitty, Sasha, has decided to put Buttercup in her place. I realize this may seem a bit odd, 120lb dog that is terrified of a 10lb cat, but it happens. He called me a week ago to ask what he could do. His ultimate fear is that Buttercup will snap and try to hurt Sasha. What I suggested is getting some Feliway, and having some Sasha time. It seems to be working. Thank goodness he isn't looking to rehome the little beauity. I don't think I could take a third cat in the apartment we are living in now.

Just thought that I'd share.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats great if it works..........I have to laugh when I hear or see dogs afraid of kitties..........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Thats great if it works..........I have to laugh when I hear or see dogs afraid of kitties..........
Esp when it's a 120lb Mastiff puppy that isn't done growing yet.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Buttercup"?!?!?!?! I'm sorry, but...

Glad to hear the dog has been through "boot camp" but sounds like kitty needs some authority, too. I've had to do many a "NO" to kitties. If bro is properly trained (really, some humans need to be trained in being the alpha) and observant there shouldn't be any problems. But maybe kitty needs a warning from Buttercup to be put in his place...

My Mom's parents had a mastiff some years before Mom was born. Peg only looked threatening. Worst she would do was lick someone to death. Grandpa had a blacksmithy behind their house and a sign at the front gate that said do not knock at house - but men would go up and knock at the door of the house. (This was 90+ years ago so you could assume that maybe some of the men couldn't read.
)

Grandma was only 4ft, 11 1/2 in (if she stretched real hard. Grandpa was over 6 foot). But, many a time a man would enter the fenced area around the house and meet Peg. Then Grandma could be seen pulling her back - once as a man clung to the top of a small tree that was bending under his weight.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

My brother recently acquired a Bull Mastiff, Buttercup. She has gone to doggie boot camp, and has come back a wonderfully trained doggie. Here's the deal, his kitty, Sasha, has decided to put Buttercup in her place. I realize this may seem a bit odd, 120lb dog that is terrified of a 10lb cat, but it happens. He called me a week ago to ask what he could do. His ultimate fear is that Buttercup will snap and try to hurt Sasha. What I suggested is getting some Feliway, and having some Sasha time. It seems to be working. Thank goodness he isn't looking to rehome the little beauity. I don't think I could take a third cat in the apartment we are living in now.

Just thought that I'd share.
When I had Oreo we decided to adopt a Bullmastiff/Englishmastiff mix, Angel. At a year old she was 165lbs
...Well Oreo was only 7lbs full grown and she got tired of Angel always wanting to play and ended up having to get 7 stitches in Angels nose!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

"Buttercup"?!?!?!?!
Yep, my brother has always wanted to call her, and have this huge dog round a corner. He thought it would be funny. In all honesty, she is one of the greatest dogs in the world.