my poor baby is ill/hurt!

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It all started a few days ago, i let her out as usual she didn't come back for 3 days straight i called her and called her, as my neighbourhood is full of gardens, there are other cats roaming about at night i would hear the cats fighting i was getting even worried about her, calling her each day.

well yesterday she finally came back after i littarly shouted for her, i was worried that she was starving and not getting any food she came in and seemed fine so i gave her food as usual but she didn't eat all of it, i sat down with her and saw her face she had parts where there was no hair, like she was in a cat fight or something i was talking to her and saying that she shouldn't get into any fights (although i know she can't hear me LOL) anyway after that she settled down and went to sleep in her favorite spot.

the next morning (which is today) i called her and she climbed on the bed i gave her a few strokes and she seemed fine purring away in content, i then got up to feed her which is what i do every morning i got the food out and put it in her bowl and noticed that she was limping on one leg i stopped in my tracks and had a look at the leg in shock, i don't know if she was hiding it yesterday because she seemed totally fine.

so i put down her food and while she is eating i checked the leg carefully to see if it's loose like a broken bone or something but it is firm and she seemed able to use it by trying to scratch herself, but she couldn't do it properly

I'm so worried about her, is it just a sprained leg? i already brought pet insurance for her from the RSPCA but i have no idea how long that will take to process, i have to buy a carrier for her too because she will have to be carried to the vets, and as she is a outside cat it's going to be very difficult for litter because she usually goes outside to do it, but as she is unwell she can't go outside especially if other cats are attacking her (and no she is not declawed, i would never do that)

while i am typing this i am crying also, I'm so worried about her, and i feel that i can't afford the vet fees if the insurance don't come in time... i don't want to see her in pain
has anyone got any advice?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you searched around for a low cost clinic? I couldn't afford vet fees either, but there are plenty of low cost clinics around. Just google search them.

Reasons like this are why I recommend keeping cats inside. All mine are strictly indoors but one who will destroy things to get out, so she does. She came back with a gash on her leg one time and I was so worried and mad that I let her outside...

Anyways sorry. As far as litter training her, yu would be suprised how easy some cats can do it. I always tell this story but my uncle has about 20 years worth of generation after generation of inbred feral barn cats living in his barn. I brought two in one time and they used the litter box like they had been using it all their lives. Confine her to a small room or large dog crate with a litterbox and food and toys and everything until you can get her into the vet. Please try to do it as soon as possible. Cats will hide their pain and sometimes you won't even know they are hurting. If she is showing visible signs that she is in pain then you have to understand she really is in a lot of pain. It could be pretty serious. I wouldn't put it off too long. I know it's hard but borrow money if you have to. And please keep her indoors, if not forever then until she is healthy again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of going to the vets today (it's 9am here) to check out the info first and i may have to register too I'm going to use some emergency money that i had aside for another thing but nightshade comes first
. as soon as i know the costs of the fees and stuff (i hope it's affordable gulp) then i will bring her in, shes resting now, it's just that her injury came at the worst time i am pretty short of money this month so it's going to hurt my pockets a lot
but at least after all this is over she will be fine

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
going to take her in for a appointment today, they agreed to see her today which is cool, they useally do it by appointment only so I'm pretty lucky.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know how she is doing

Also, I really encourage you to keep your kitty inside. There are so many hazards outside for animals: Cars, other cats, dogs, mean people, traps, poisons.

You'll find that keeping your cat indoors and having her use a litter box is cheper in the long run as you won't be running to the vet to have wounds obtained from fights and mishaps looked at.

Plus indoor cats live longer than outdoor ones, because they are sheltered from the hazards I listed above.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im sure if you have pet insurance you will only have to pay the excess fee to the vet and they then take your insurance details and take it from there i hope she isnt to poorly sending lots of vibes that she feels better soon

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
phew i just come back from the vets and it went all well, it wasn't so expensive around £30 the doctor said that she had one of the paw bits ripped and it had become infected so they gave her some antibiotics.

I agree, from now on she is staying inside, she hates rain anyways and she needs to recover from this injury and those other cats are always fighting with her, i don't know how long she will stay inside because she tends to miaow until i let her out so it will be ifficult to keep her inside, i will have to get some kitty litter, how much would they cost? and i need to find space for it because i have a small flat.

apart from what happened today she resting now she was so stressed when we walked to the vets because of the cars and stuff so shes pretty exhausted.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she is doing okay. Is there anyway you can get her another kitty to play with and maybe she will not want to go outside.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
litter and box isnt that expensive you can get both for under £5.00 you can go the pet shop or tesco,asda,somerfield missy i presume was an outdoor cat (she arrived regularly for night visits) she cries like mad to get out i find distraction the best way during the day and at night i ignore it and she soon gets fed up missy wouldnt use a plain litter box i had to put some soil in it to begin with she is fine now

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by michelle mayall

litter and box isnt that expensive you can get both for under £5.00 you can go the pet shop or tesco,asda,somerfield missy i presume was an outdoor cat (she arrived regularly for night visits) she cries like mad to get out i find distraction the best way during the day and at night i ignore it and she soon gets fed up missy wouldnt use a plain litter box i had to put some soil in it to begin with she is fine now
i useally go to sainsburys to do shopping i am wondering if they do any if not I'm going to try ebay, they have some good colours too, i want to get some of that anti smell stuff to put in the box, is it harmful? and i would need a extra bin too to put the poop in, i guess i am going to try and ignore her when she wants to go outside she likes to miaow very loud aswell if i ignore her, but it's for her own good

I hope she is doing okay. Is there anyway you can get her another kitty to play with and maybe she will not want to go outside.
unfortunately the flat is too small and it would cost too much to look after 2 cats food, vet bills e.t.c, but i will try to keep her company i don't work so she has me
aww bless Nightshade, today nightshade was miaowing for attention so i sit with her for a moment and she tries to sit up and walk and she yelps in pain so i have to encourage her to sit down and rest, i stayed with her while she took a nap

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HUYI

i don't know how long she will stay inside because she tends to miaow until i let her out so it will be ifficult to keep her inside, i will have to get some kitty litter, how much would they cost? and i need to find space for it because i have a small flat.
Im glad Nightshade is doing better and that it wasnt anything worse than what it was. I hope she continues to heal and feels better soon. Im so glad you got her in to see a vet, especially when money is tight. You are a great Mommy.

I just wanted to share something with you. I had a cat that was inside/outside and everything was great for many years, But one day, she was just missing, I never knew what happened to her. There are so many dangers outside. Its just a more secure enviroment for Nightshade inside, especially with other cats fighting her in your neighborhood.

I found another stray cat. I was determined to keep her inside. For a long time she cried and cussed me out to go outside. I would do my best to distract her, playing with her. I also, would open a window, with a screen and set up a nice comfy spot for her to lay in and soak up some sun (I only did that when I could supervise because a cat can scratch a screen an escape).... this seemed to satisfy her. It took a lot of time and patience with her. Now she doesnt even acknowledge outside, no crying, no cussing. And shes fine. So it can be done. You just have to overlook the crying and do your best to distract her. I found the window open, smelling fresh air seemed to REALLY work. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If i open the window she would just jump outside, where would i get a screen? i don't like to put her near the window that long because there is two dogs outside, one is next door, and the other one is the opposite from my house, as soon as they see her they start barking so i have to take her from the window and the owners have to calm the dogs down. i will have to try and get her some more toys, to keep her occupied, she has enough toys already

before the accident it has been quite hard to let her outside because of those dam dogs, i know they are capable of taking on a cat because i have seen them fight another cat and i don't want it to happen to nightshade

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
im soo pleased your baby is ok..its so scary not knowing whats wrong i wish they could tell us when there hurt
i have five cats and have now started putting some money away each month just incase *touch wood* anything happens..mine are out door cats..i just think cats should be able to run free..thats my few...*huggs to your baby*

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your windows dont already have screens Im not sure how they are installed, I would presume it has to be professionally done, but I dont really know for sure.

You said money is tight right now, but in the future look into getting a cat tree. If you can provide her with verticle space, it will double the space she has inside. When I had my inside/outside cat, I actually gave her the top of one of my closests. It was kind of complicated and involved removing the closet doors and replacing with curtains. Then I stacked boxes in a stair like fashion for her to climb to the top. I put carpet reminants in the top and she loved it.

I also gave her the cabinet directly above the fridge. If you have tall furniture that you know is stable and remove everything on top and have other furniture beside it that she is able to safely jump to and from, is another idea. ( Of course after she heals from her paw.)

You can take socks and put catnip in and sew the end together. You can go on websites and look at toys and try to mimick in making some new ones for her. Just try to keep her as much as you can entertained while she adjust to being inside.

Look around your flat and get creative in coming up with new and safe places for her to explore. Something to keep her occupied as she is when she explores outside.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by animal

im soo pleased your baby is ok..its so scary not knowing whats wrong i wish they could tell us when there hurt
i have five cats and have now started putting some money away each month just incase *touch wood* anything happens..mine are out door cats..i just think cats should be able to run free..thats my few...*huggs to your baby*
I used to have 5 cats when i was much younger and they were all outside cats, but i remember that one of them died from a car accident (his name was samson), i used to play with this kitten called shocker
and i would always sneak him in the house when my foster parents weren't around
but i think truly it's safer for them to stay in the house, i agree on them having their freedom and independence (as they are independent animals) but at this time i think it's safe for her to be a in house cat from now on

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well i already have little toys that have catnip and treats in them and she loves those (even though she cheats) lol but i am thinking of getting a scratch post for her a medium size and the top part that has a place where she can rest, maybe that will keep her occupied? i don't really have any space for any more cabinets because mine are full with books, videos e.t.c so the scratching post is the easiest option.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HUYI

I want to get something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CAT-TREE-S...QQcmdZViewItem

but i will have to save up a bit before i buy one, that should keep her occupied for hours
Im sure she will love that !!!! In the meantime, you can go to the pet supply store and get a cardboard like thing for her to use as a scratching post, pretty cheap. She will scratch and if she doesnt have anything to use, she will use your furniture or carpet. So just a heads up, before she uses your furniture.

I think you are making a wise decision to keep her inside. I know some people let them out, but everyone must take into consideration where they live and the dangers around. I would think dogs and other cats able to get to your kitty and known fights you have heard outside is a sign for you, she would be safer inside.

Some cats adjust easier than others. Hopefully, yours will adjust rather quickly. If she doesnt, it can get very frustrating. But stick to your decision and she will soon enough adjust. And dont just leave the toys out for her to interact by herself. You interacting with her too, with the toys, will help a lot.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah it's too late for that, she already has scratched the material of the bottom part of my bed
but i can't wait to buy her that scratching post

a funny thing she likes to do is play with my hair, she finds that more interesting than anything if it's swinging loose she would claw at it, it's quite funny

hopefully she will settle in nicely she already feels at home so I'm sure she will be ok, it's just that litter box that i am a bit worried about but i guess she will get used to it eventually.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great siggy you added ........ Nightshade is beautiful !!!!!!