Kitten likes kitty litter TOO much

satukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of our kittens likes the kitty litter so much that she often pplops herself right in for no reason. During the day it's not too often, but tonight as we try to put her to bed in her cage with her sister, we put the kitty litter n there with them. Thing is, the litter monster won't do anythign else other than sit inside it

I'm interpreting it as hyperness(instead of them sleeping), so we're letting them run around a bit but the concern is will it sleep in the litter? We dont want that cause the kitty stinks a little after being in the litter for a while.

Question is: do they need their litter 24/7? At night when they sleep?

What if she stays there all night? This is a new trend in her, she didn't do this last night. Maybe it's a one time fad, but i wouldn't mind knowing if they need their litter in their cage with them while they sleep(btw/ they did their litter business not long before bed time)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she?
Why is she being caged?
Did you just get her?

If she is a new cat then she is probably laying in her litterbox for comfort.

I am sure you are not going to cage her forever at night are you? I am sure she will stop then at least. If she seems nervous in the cage put a blanket or towels over the cage to cover it completely. She may then be more comfortable with laying outside the litterbox.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by satukitty

One of our kittens likes the kitty litter so much that she often pplops herself right in for no reason. During the day it's not too often, but tonight as we try to put her to bed in her cage with her sister, we put the kitty litter n there with them. Thing is, the litter monster won't do anythign else other than sit inside it

I'm interpreting it as hyperness(instead of them sleeping), so we're letting them run around a bit but the concern is will it sleep in the litter? We dont want that cause the kitty stinks a little after being in the litter for a while.

Question is: do they need their litter 24/7? At night when they sleep?

What if she stays there all night? This is a new trend in her, she didn't do this last night. Maybe it's a one time fad, but i wouldn't mind knowing if they need their litter in their cage with them while they sleep(btw/ they did their litter business not long before bed time)
We have cats that do that when we take them to be shown at adoption events....is there a reason why the kittens are being caged?? If there isn't a lot of space...some cats/kittens will favor the litterbox. Could you move the kittens to a small room??

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had the 2 kittens for a total of 2 nights, tonight makes 3 nights. They are about 5 weeks old and have perfect temperments. We let them walk around/run and play a large amount of space all day, athough it's far from the entire appartment. We've taken much time in being with the kittens to reduce any objects or undesirable circumstances out of this area(ie covered closet mirror, gotten rid of potential deep hiding holes), but we don;t feel 100% comfortable leaving them there at night unsupervised. During the day someone is always at home at all times to keep an eye on them, so as a result we get anxious about night time.

Their cage is large enough to fit a medium bed, big kitty litter, and space to walk around too. They love the cage and sleep there all the time(daytime naps and nighttime), since it's part of their open daytime play area. That's the idea behind the cage, and we close it at night for security....they're just so playful/curious and toublecausing.

We're inclined to leave them in the open area at night as a result...

Thanks for the replies and concerns ^^

edit: they're the strangest creatures. The litter monster now decided that for bedtime their usual bed is not good enough, so now she is hiding beneath the blanket that covers their cage o_O I observed this since i let them do their own thing in their open area.

kittyluv4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow... that's kinda funny!

My friend used to keep her litter inside a crate and lock her up in there inside at night. I told her it wasn't a smart thing to do. Anyway, that cat tries to hide in her ''crate litter box'' and sleep in there and stuff. It's sad.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by satukitty

We've had the 2 kittens for a total of 2 nights, tonight makes 3 nights. They are about 5 weeks old and have perfect temperments. We let them walk around/run and play a large amount of space all day, athough it's far from the entire appartment. We've taken much time in being with the kittens to reduce any objects or undesirable circumstances out of this area(ie covered closet mirror, gotten rid of potential deep hiding holes), but we don;t feel 100% comfortable leaving them there at night unsupervised. During the day someone is always at home at all times to keep an eye on them, so as a result we get anxious about night time.

Their cage is large enough to fit a medium bed, big kitty litter, and space to walk around too. They love the cage and sleep there all the time(daytime naps and nighttime), since it's part of their open daytime play area. That's the idea behind the cage, and we close it at night for security....they're just so playful/curious and toublecausing.

We're inclined to leave them in the open area at night as a result...

Thanks for the replies and concerns ^^

edit: they're the strangest creatures. The litter monster now decided that for bedtime their usual bed is not good enough, so now she is hiding beneath the blanket that covers their cage o_O I observed this since i let them do their own thing in their open area.
Satukitty....I hope given the kittens age you are using clay litter or a biodegradable kind (like feline pine). The problem with regular clumping litter is that the kittens can ingest it and it can cause them to become sick or even die. You can switch them over to clumping litter around 3 months of age.

LOL at the hiding under the blanket....kittens are wonderful aren't they.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL at the hiding under the blanket....kittens are wonderful aren't they.
They're the sillies things, they just successfully dismantled a toy of theirs just now o_O

Anyway, we have high quality scentless clay clumping litter. It was recommended to us at a pet shop. We have never seen them ingest anything other than their food, which they have at their disposal at all times.

Today they seem to act normal. We left the cage open for the night. Over night one chose to sleep on top of the cage under a blanket and the other in the bed inside the cage. Seems like they prefer having the choice to run off energy when they need it. I believe the reason they sat in the litter was cause it was near the entrace part inside their cage(with them closed inside for bedtime) and simply wanted to get out and be silly.