Help

todd b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I brought a new kitten into our house about a year and a half ago. At the time we had a grown cat named Smoky at about 8 years old. It didnt take long and the kitten named Molly took over as the alpha cat. About 3 weeks ago the two were sitting near the front window when a kitten walked across our front lawn and that's when the older cat started growling at the cat outside. This infuriated the newer cat and she attacked the older cat. We had to separate the two because of the fighting and now the older cat lives in our bedroom closed out from the younger cat. We have tried to bring Smokey out of the bedroom but she just growls at Molly and then Molly attacks, we break it up and Smoky goes back in to our bedroom. Does Anybody have any ideas? We could sure use some help!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens all the time and it's normal. You should have done this .. at the time and it would have been all over with in 10 mins (but it's not too late). Get some extract of pure vanilla, put a drop on each of their chins and on their backs right at their tails. It's very effective and both of them smelling the same will help, only now they've been separated for so long it might take more time to reintroduce them. Also, before doing it, rub a towel along one cat, then the other cat (same towel) and then the first one again, which helps too.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
as long as there isnt' any blood or flying fur they are going to growl and fight occationally. it's perfectly natural. you're actually making it more difficult for them and punishing your old cat by putting it in another room. they will eventually establish either a bond with each other or an understanding of ones space. be it with fights here and there or just the occational growl. don't tell them off and don't seperate them or 'break it up they will work it out and move away from each other when they have had enough. just let them have the room to do so.

I have a 8.5 month old kitten and an 8 year old cat as well. they play fight from time to time and sometimes all out brawl. the younger kitten seems to dominate and torment the older one as well. but they have their moments too when the cuddle on the same blanket or pillow. at the moment the ocicat kitten is in season so she's been a little more vicious than normal. but we give them full reign of the house so that they can have their own space if they want. please don't lock your cat up in a seperate room it's really cruel in my opinion and we actually rescued our older cat Phoebe from this sort of envirnment at an old woman's house. she had another cat when her daughter brought phoebe over. the lady locked her and her sister in a small twin bedroom by themselves all the time.

if the kitten and your cat just don't get on and start physically hurting each other with torn ears, blood and fur loss then i think maybe you should reconsider the welfare of your first cat and look for a new home for the kitten where they can both be loved equally and not put in a room for the rest of their days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

todd b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's the problem, when we let them together we have fur flying and torn ears and sliced up noses. It seems to cruel not to break it up. It seems they can't stand each other. We'll try what the first reply sugested with the towel and the vanilla and keep trying anything until we run out of options and have to get rid of one of them. We really do appreciate any input anyone has to offer. Thank you all.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Todd B

That's the problem, when we let them together we have fur flying and torn ears and sliced up noses. It seems to cruel not to break it up. It seems they can't stand each other. We'll try what the first reply sugested with the towel and the vanilla and keep trying anything until we run out of options and have to get rid of one of them. We really do appreciate any input anyone has to offer. Thank you all.
really sorry you're having to deal with this. it's very difficult. i wish you the best!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry you're having such a difficult time with your kitties. When we were introducing our kitties, we kept a towel handy at all times. When it got to the screaming and such, we simply threw the towel at them to break it up. If that didn't faze them, we'd take the towel and use it to separate them. We herded one away from the other. This gave them time to cool off and understand that that type of behavior would not be tolerated in this house. (Yeah, right! LOL) We've even had to put one of the kitties in time out for about 10 mins on more than one occasion.

Also, I would suggest you try the Comfort Zone with Feliway plug ins. They will help calm the kitties and make the transition and introduction period smoother.

todd b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we tried the vanilla extract and towel thing, it didn't work. Just picked up the Feliway plug in, sure hope it works, it's not cheap, paid 85$ Canadian (about 76 US dollars or 60 Euros) I'll keep you posted, wish us luck!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry... I've been told the vanilla thing works, and you can also see why I haven't tried Felliway here (NS) myself! Maybe they'll just have to work it out over time. It would be unusual for them to never mellow and play together again.

todd b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Feliway plugin didn't work either. It doesn't change the behavior of the cat, it just settles them down a bit. Anyway we talked to a person at a vet clinic who suggested we use todler gates stacked one on top of the other in the doorway so they can see each other but won't be able to fight and maybe get used to each other again. We'll try it.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Todd B

The Feliway plugin didn't work either. It doesn't change the behavior of the cat, it just settles them down a bit. Anyway we talked to a person at a vet clinic who suggested we use todler gates stacked one on top of the other in the doorway so they can see each other but won't be able to fight and maybe get used to each other again. We'll try it.
I had 2 of my cats that got into a really bad fight on June 1. I tried all the things as you did and nothing worked. I added a baby gate and literally duck taped a box to the top so that they could see each other, but not jump over the gate. They are still separated BUT everyday I play with them both through the baby gate .....things are getting much better. It started with big eye stare downs and a few slaps between them during "gate time" ... now they will play together. I have also been able to have them in the same room together. Previously it would result in one lunging to the other one. For the past 2 weeks, they will sit and tolerate each other.

Its very frustrating, but the one consistent thing I was told by the various people I have consulted with is PATIENCE..... there is actually someone on here that it took a year to restore balance. Be willing to set your life up for some changes to help them get through their conflict..... and understand that there is some conflict that has to be worked out. Good luck to you ..... and I would love to hear how you progress.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heres what I did ..... but I also have an entrance into the room through another door..... I also duck taped the gate closed so that no one could sneak out .....

todd b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts on that, and that is exactly what were doing. I didn't have any baby gates so i used plastic lattice that I screwed to 2 2 by 4's on each end which works quite well. When the cat inside the room sees the younger cat through the lattice she runs under the bed. So were hoping she will become more tolerent eventually of the younger cat that seems to want to just play with the older one. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.