Stuff I need

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok well I have decided I might as well go out and buy a bunch of stuff I might need. So I was wondering what stuff I might or will need. I know I'm getting a big dog crate. But I dont know if it should be the metal kind that you can see thru or one of the solid plastic ones? Which would be better? I have other animals and none of my rooms have doors except the bathroom which has my finches in it and she will go after them. So I need her to be in a contained area.

I have KMR from my last foster kitten (Bagheera he's permanant now) and some bottles. But I was wondering how long it can be kept before getting rid of it. I've never had any left over before. I usually just give it to the kitten's until it is gone no matter how old they are. But Bagheera started refusing the milk in any way at 9 weeks. Not from the bottle or from a bowl or food soaked in it.So should I replace the formula just in case?

Also a couple of the sites said those rubber maid like containers. I dont know if the big ones are called that? Are good for a nest box. What size would be best? Should I just leave it intact or cut a whole in it. With my fosters they were just in cardboard boxes with heat pads under half of it. I only had mama with babies foster one time and she stayed for 2 days and then moved to different foster home so I could take in some older orphaned kittens. Her and the kittens were in an old dresser drawer that they came to me in. I want the best for Annie and her kittens if I have to go thru this with her.

Hmmm Also what is the best kitten food to feed her? My parents have been feeding her Purina Indoor formula. I dont like that stuff not good enough quality IMO. I feed my cats Blackwood Adult Formula for Lily and Kitten and Bagheera eat the kitten formula. http://blackwoodpetfood.com/bwadultcat.htm They are also supplemented with BARF. Would switching her to my kittens food hurt her? Or should I feed something else? Should I offer her KMR? Some people I have talked to say yes other say no.

Is there anything else that I might need that I havnt thought of?

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe a heating pad.
My kitten was an orphan at two weeks old and for the first week I kept a heating pad on low under a bunch of blankets for him.

KMR should have an expiration date on it. Is your KMR open? no more than a day or two should it stored after open.

I'd say go for a metal crate that way you can keep an eye on whats going on with mom and kittens.

You sound like your ready to go!
I hope everything works well with your new litter.

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not use a metal crate unless the wires are very close together (under 1 inch). I have seen many kittens find little holes in the metal crates. It isn't hard for them to crawl out and get lost from mom. If you find a metal crate with no large holes, it may be acceptable.

KMR does list on the package how long it is good for. I think it is 3 months in the fridge and 6 months if in the freezer.

I usually prefer a plastic container than a box since the plastic is easier to clean and disinfect. Boxes can get quite dirty and smelly. I recommend a size tall enough for mom to easily get out, but will keep young babies in (6-8 inches). I use one that is a little larger than a large litter pan.

I use sheets, blankets instead of a heating pad. Also easy to clean. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

maybe a heating pad.
My kitten was an orphan at two weeks old and for the first week I kept a heating pad on low under a bunch of blankets for him.

KMR should have an expiration date on it. Is your KMR open? no more than a day or two should it stored after open.

I'd say go for a metal crate that way you can keep an eye on whats going on with mom and kittens.

You sound like your ready to go!
I hope everything works well with your new litter.
The KMR is the powder kind. Not the already mixed stuff. It last longer. Or at least I hope it does because the one I have was fed to Bagheera for about 2 weeks. And its been sitting for 8 weeks. Yikes its hard to believe Ive had him for so long.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by scoomoo

I would not use a metal crate unless the wires are very close together (under 1 inch). I have seen many kittens find little holes in the metal crates. It isn't hard for them to crawl out and get lost from mom. If you find a metal crate with no large holes, it may be acceptable.

KMR does list on the package how long it is good for. I think it is 3 months in the fridge and 6 months if in the freezer.

I usually prefer a plastic container than a box since the plastic is easier to clean and disinfect. Boxes can get quite dirty and smelly. I recommend a size tall enough for mom to easily get out, but will keep young babies in (6-8 inches). I use one that is a little larger than a large litter pan.

I use sheets, blankets instead of a heating pad. Also easy to clean. Good luck.
So I should get some new KMR just in case she doesnt take care of them or needs ehlp. I will get that a bit later though. I wasnt planning on using a heating pad with them unless she doesnt take care of them. I was going to use bath towels.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

The KMR is the powder kind. Not the already mixed stuff. It last longer. Or at least I hope it does because the one I have was fed to Bagheera for about 2 weeks. And its been sitting for 8 weeks. Yikes its hard to believe Ive had him for so long.
I prefer to buy the already mixed KMR. Gaye prefers goat's milk. I'm not a big fan of the powdered version..I've read a few instances of kittens getting sick...perhaps the individual didn't mix it right or it was past it's expiration. I used a metal crate with my mom and kittens..it collapses for easy storage and I didn't have a problem with the kittens getting through the bars..but you definately need to look at how apart the bars are. If you get a plastic crate....you need to ensure that it is well ventilated.

I used a large box for the nesting box and placed a towel inside (but I would put a towel inside a pillow slip now).

I fed mom both wet and dry kitten food.....I bought a mixed pack of wet kitten food and Eukanaba kitten formula dry food.

Katie

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I prefer to buy the already mixed KMR. Gaye prefers goat's milk. I'm not a big fan of the powdered version..I've read a few instances of kittens getting sick...perhaps the individual didn't mix it right or it was past it's expiration. I used a metal crate with my mom and kittens..it collapses for easy storage and I didn't have a problem with the kittens getting through the bars..but you definately need to look at how apart the bars are. If you get a plastic crate....you need to ensure that it is well ventilated.

I used a large box for the nesting box and placed a towel inside (but I would put a towel inside a pillow slip now).

I fed mom both wet and dry kitten food.....I bought a mixed pack of wet kitten food and Eukanaba kitten formula dry food.

Katie
Wow I never heard of kittens getting sick off the powder version. I usually use it only when I have one or two kittens. When I have whole litters I use the pre mixed stuff because they use more of it. I dont like to keep the mixed stuff for more then one meal. So when I have only one or two I make just enough for that meal. With whole litters they usually used most if not all of the premixed stuff. Thats the only reason. I just read about the towel in the pillowcase in your other post. Thats sounds like a great idea. That way the kittens cant get wrapped up in the towel accidently and sufficate or something.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer the powdered formula, because you can mix it up fresh in warm water. I am pretty careful how I mix it when the babies are tiny, and when they get older, I just make sure to thin it with extra water, and use it to moisten the kibble.

I like the metal crate, so you can see the kittens easily. My bars are close enough that I don't lose any kittens.

Having a scale is nice, so you can weigh the kitters to be sure everyone is gaining.

Oh, and a digital camera, so you can post lots of pics!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Oh, and a digital camera, so you can post lots of pics!
Oh you dont have to worry about that. I am already taking tons of pics of just Annie. LOL Poor girl is going to go blind.