Help i'm leaving my kittens for a week!

bluebells belly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're off on holiday for a week, my kitties will be 3 weeks old. I am planning on emptying one room of my house so that all there will be in it is the cat bed and their scratch tower. I am going to put a stair gate across the door way with some board over it so the the kits can't get through the holes. Bluebell, that is mum cat will be able to get into their room but they can't get out. My family and neighbours will feed Bluebell and sort out her litter box but i am concerned that the kittens may need water as they will be 4 weeks on the day i get back. Also at present they can't get out of their box but are attempting to climb, do you think i should make an entrance for them to go out and in, otherwise i'll worry that they'll fall out. Please help!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bluebells Belly

We're off on holiday for a week, my kitties will be 3 weeks old. I am planning on emptying one room of my house so that all there will be in it is the cat bed and their scratch tower. I am going to put a stair gate across the door way with some board over it so the the kits can't get through the holes. Bluebell, that is mum cat will be able to get into their room but they can't get out. My family and neighbours will feed Bluebell and sort out her litter box but i am concerned that the kittens may need water as they will be 4 weeks on the day i get back. Also at present they can't get out of their box but are attempting to climb, do you think i should make an entrance for them to go out and in, otherwise i'll worry that they'll fall out. Please help!!!
I would suggest you buy some disposible aluminum pans that have low sides (baking pans work well) or use a box top (such as a xerox box) as the kitten's litter box. I found that this was best with my foster kittens as they could get in and out very easily. Also...make sure you use a non-clumping litter (such as clay or biodegradible litter) as clumping litter can be deadly to kittens if ingested. Your family and neighbor should also be very careful coming in and out that they do not accidentally allow your mom cat back outdoors.

Katie