Now senior cat is having problems!

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As many of you know, my 2 year old Morgan passed away rather suddenly Wed. with some unknown disease. Some speculations are toxoplasmosis, FIP, or heart disease (which didn't show up on xrays). She started with loss of appetite, fever, lethargy, seizures/staggering, then progressed within 12 hours to acute pneumonia, which led to her death. Thank you all so much for your kindness and encouragement. We're still waiting for any results from the necropsy, but now it looks like we have to go through the weekend not knowing if any of our others are at risk of developing this.

Meanwhile, this morning my 13 y.o. Maine coon wasn't in bed with me like he has been every morning for the past 12 1/2 years of his life. Naturally I panicked, after what we've been through this week. I found him hiding under a bed and got him out, only to have him run under another bed, looking scared. I practically dragged him out of there so I could check him, and I put him on the bed. He looked OK, just like he didn't feel great. I brought him some food, and his appetite was fine, and his temp was right around 100. However, when I sat on the sofa to cuddle with him, he tried to jump up and couldn't. It's not a high sofa. So this explains why he wasn't on the bed. I'm taking him to the vet today at 4. I know that Maine coons are susceptible to hip dysplasia, but the timing seems really really bad. Does anyone think this could be related to Morgan's mystery disease?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a chance .. DO you by chance have access to a university with a vet school?? I would suggest that if you can .. Sending lots of prayers and vibes

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thought is it's likely (hopefully) related to Morgan's absence. Also, is it storming there or raining? I have some hip problems, and I have to say that I REALLY hurt about 24 hours before a storm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

My thought is it's likely (hopefully) related to Morgan's absence. Also, is it storming there or raining? I have some hip problems, and I have to say that I REALLY hurt about 24 hours before a storm.
This morning I thought it was just depression, but now it looks like he's in pain. He's hesitant to walk. There's no rain in sight - I'm the same way, I have lupus and fibromyalgia, so I hurt like crazy when rain's coming.

We don't have access to a university with a vet school that I know of, but that's a great idea. I'll start calling around. I'm just watching for any unsteadiness that will indicate neurological problems, since that was our first major red flag with Morgie.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I surely hope not!! You have to let us know what you find out.. I thought it was depression, but maybe the cat hurt itself somehow.. It would be a tough tough thing to swallow if it is... HOpefully it's not related to Morgan..

I'll be sending all my thoughts and vibes towards your baby....

Keep us updated....

Heather...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How scary for you. Keep up informed once you've seen the vet.

We'll be praying and sending healing vibes.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No advice, other than getting your baby to the vet, which you're already doing. Saying tons of prayers that this is totally unrelated to dear Morgan's problem. Best of luck; please let us know what you find out at the vet's.

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're now in a holding pattern, waiting for the final results from Morgan's necropsy. Preliminary findings indicate FIP, which was my worst fear as the other cats have all been exposed now. Thumbs has been my best friend for over 12 years, and I'm terrified that he's going to go. He's having trouble walking, I had a chest xray done which showed his lungs are still clear, and he got an injection for the pain that is supposed to last 3 days. That should hopefully give him some relief until we hear Morgan's results. His walking is worsening, though, so I'm afraid it's CNS problems, not arthritic or a sprain.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. If it's any comfort, FIP isn't exactly catching; it's caused by a mutation of the Corona virus. Cats can catch Corona from each other, but the FIP mutation is unique to each cat, and in most kitties it never happens at all.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. If it's any comfort, FIP isn't exactly catching; it's caused by a mutation of the Corona virus. Cats can catch Corona from each other, but the FIP mutation is unique to each cat, and in most kitties it never happens at all.
We had 11 cats and Smudge was the only one that got the FIP. I'm sure that at least 5 had the coronavirus. So statistics are on your side, at least...

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! It is encouraging to know that so many of you have had it not spread throughout your furry family. He is doing much better today. And here's a strange thing: He's had really foul smelling breath for a few years now. He has his teeth cleaned pretty regularly, but it still would knock you over when he would breathe with his mouth open. A couple of vets didn't know why and said to keep an eye on his kidney functions and blood sugar. Last night I gave him that clindamycin (just in case the sudden gait problems were toxo), and his breath is fine today for the first time in 3 or 4 years. Hmm. I'm still watching him closely, so we'll see what happens.