When can I first get my kitten a collar?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually wait until an adult collar fits, I've never had a problem with them accepting it, other than your usual shenanigans
I kinda worry about kittens wearing collars even with safety clasps because I'm not sure they have enough weight to pull the clasp apart.... plus kittens are always trying to get into the tight spots, a little more than older cats, know what I mean?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could pick one up at WalMart, however, it still would be pretty big for the kitten. I got the smallest one they had and its still too big on Ling (doesn't matter to me tho) - Ling's a year old and about the size of a 6 month old kitten - she's build like an oriental - small and slender; about 6.5 lbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileana and douggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You could pick one up at WalMart, however, it still would be pretty big for the kitten. I got the smallest one they had and its still too big on Ling (doesn't matter to me tho) - Ling's a year old and about the size of a 6 month old kitten - she's build like an oriental - small and slender; about 6.5 lbs.
Oh, dear!
I'm going to have to wait until she's grown, we don't have any WalMarts in Romania

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like to get my collars at Petsmart, they have a great collection- you could possible order online from there? or there's a thread in this forum entitled "colorful New Collars" there are some really nice ones on there and she ships too....

GoldenKitty, I'm having the same problem with Ismene, I put the collars on her brother and sister, Zeus & Demeter, 2 weeks ago, but hers is still waaaay to big, its like trying to wear a necklace on your wrist... she just won't grow! Very skinny, eats like a horse, but she must just have a small frame. I call her my little rat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat is built like a show siamese or oriental type with the long body, slendar head/neck/legs, etc., then you probably will NEVER find a collar that will fit.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can put it on her now so she gets used to it. I reccmmend Beastie Bands which are cut to fit and were called the safest collar by Tufts Veterinary.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I kinda worry about kittens wearing collars even with safety clasps because I'm not sure they have enough weight to pull the clasp apart.... plus kittens are always trying to get into the tight spots, a little more than older cats, know what I mean?
that is a very good point, i have been thinking about getting a kitten collar for kya who weighs about 3 pounds right now. but now im definately going to wait

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the cat is built like a show siamese or oriental type with the long body, slendar head/neck/legs, etc., then you probably will NEVER find a collar that will fit.
That does describe her to a T, but I'm pretty sure she has no oriental breeds in her background, its kinda funny cause her sisters, Pandora, Antigone and Demeter, are all hefty little girls