Ever met an animal you just cant like?

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am feeling so bad since we are babysitting a dog and I just can't like him. He has been our weekend dog for two years and our antagonism is mutual. The thing I dislike the most is that he pretends that he likes me when somebody else is around but ignores me completely when we are alone.
Normally I love dogs and they love me.
He is a spoiled and lazy little Yorkshire and he stinks since he never cleans him self after toilet. When taking a walk he stops every second meter to pee on peopleâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cars, bikes or doorposts and he will lie down on the ground and snarl if you don't let him. He is constantly bagging for candy (not from me though).
He adores my husband and would follow him in to a thunderstorm three o'clock in the morning but with me he refuses to move when I need to take him out. He would crawl under the sofa rather than go out to early in the morning or if the weather is bad. Then he shits on the floor instead.
The weird thing is that he always seems happy to see me at first and when it really counts - I am the only person he obeys.
To be fair - he is a wonderful dog in other ways. He would never bite and he is so careful with children, kittens, chickens or whatever small creature.
I just feel so bad for not being able to like him. It is not his fault that he is spoiled. Has anyone ever been in this situation? How did you deal with it?
PS. Our oldest cat seem to feel as I do about him.

lizmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been in this situation regarding my dislike of some people but never an animal. LoL!!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I might have come close with Topaz as she thought of me only as a can opener and would hardly let me touch her. (She loves Mom.) But when I got home from the hospital, she was all over me and now comes to me for petting and sleeps with me at times.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I once baby-sat for this family who had a dalmatian.... I HATED that dog!!!! it was so badly behaved and hyper and just awful! I never baby-sat for them again

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SO's grandparents had several raggedy mutts over the years that I just could not stand. They were allowed to be unruly and jumped all over everything. The last one was a Dalmatian. It was so bad she finally rehomed it.
My sister had a pot bellied pig that was an awful creature. It would hump everybody that it got close to, crap wherever it stood, it would bite, jump in your lap and fart. YUCK! It was supposed to be a miniature pig, but it weighed close to 100 pounds.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, a goose named Petra. When I was maybe 8, I regularly visited a childless couple who loved animals. They owned dogs, cats, lovebirds, fish and one nasty goose. Whenever I was within striking distance it would poke me on the back. If I was facing it, it would ran away. The couple would shoo Petra away or confine her but they were always giggling and telling me it was Petra's way of saying she liked me. Bah! I wanted to kill that bird.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandparents Chihuahua was a god you could hate. If he didn't like you he would go into the closet pull your coat off the hanger and pee on it. He especially didn't like my father because he took my mom away when they got married.
My dad ordered take out when that dog died.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A friend of ours has a dog, Missy, I think she's a mutt- I'm not sure what she is other than a pain!

Granted she is still young and maybe I'll like her when she's old and slow but right now I can't stand her!!!!!!! She's always jumping on me, she never listens, and never sits still if you do try and pet her. Usually he ends up putting her in the cage when we come over because she's such a freaking maniac.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I third the human thing... cant stand many of those

Yorkies are a different breed and likely he likes you just not love and the other things are typical yorkie terrorist
behavior

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't really like my neighbors dog. Only cause it acts like it is going to bite evertime anyone get near it. It's one of those small tiny dogs. It't not really that I don't like it I'm just afraid of it.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geese... mostly in general, but specifically the ones my aunt and uncle used to have on their farm. When i was a kid, I'd go out into the yard to roam and play... if I was on the sidewalk next to the driveway, they wouldn't come near me... but as soon as my feet (usually bare) would hit the dirt, this gaggle of geese would come chasing after me.. I never did anything!!

So, I can't stand geese.

There was also a time I worked at the petting zoo and pony rides at a local park... in the zoo they have these geese. When some schmuck opened the back gate (that led right onto the mini train's tracks) I had to close the entrance and run back there. I'm no animal herder. I was on the zoo shift alone.. normally there's two people. But i had it alone that day... I swear it was the geese that led the sheep astray!

I hate geese. Never met one I liked and that liked me. Not to mention that i'm allergic to goose-down. Hmm....

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it, but there is actually a cat that I cannot like. It is evil and vile and spiteful and I can never, ever like it. Mind you, I'd be upset if something happened to it, but that's the case for me with all animals. I cried for days when the dog that bit my face (and blinded my right eye) got put down.
This cat is my best friend's baby cat. She loves my friend, but no one else. She's a tortie, and is apparently half-feral. She'll pretend to be friendly, rub against your legs (especially if she thinks you'll feed her) but if your hand or face or any bare flesh come anywhere near her, or if she even THINKS you're looking at her, she'll hiss and bite and scratch and run off and hide. Evil, vile little thing. She even scratches and bites my friend, her person, without a second thought.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My stepmom's dog Kiki growls at me when ever I come with in 5 feet of her. She has dug in my bag, grabbed a feminine product out of it, and run around the house while I chased her.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only one. And he's probably a perfectly nice little dog, apart from the fact that he's a #$&^&&*#%*#^*$**&*^*$ YAP factory, and completely undisciplined!

Tanner is a Jack Russell and lives next door to us with his human, Jim. One word from Jim or any other human, and Tanner does as he pleases. Anything (or nothing!) can set the little nitwit off, and then he yapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyaps until all around him are ready to throttle him. Needless to say, his human just yells at him, which doesn't help anything.

Tanner also chases my cats. I gather Tanner grew up with cats, and really does just want to play, but my cats don't know that, and Tanner doesn't mind coming to their house to "play".
I don't worry about him, he just ticks me off bigtime. They're away just now. My, but it's been lovely and quiet. I wonder how much longer we have.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh, one of my best friends has a golden retriever who DOES NOT LISTEN. He's 4 years old and huge and he STILL jumps all over people and slobbers on clothes - the worst is when he does it right after he plays in the pond in their backyard, he smells awful and his paws are covered in God-knows-what. They've had him in training groups since they got him as a puppy but he won't respond to ANYTHING.

He actually got hit by a car about a year ago because he wasn't listening, and he's still nutzo.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I once baby-sat for this family who had a dalmatian.... I HATED that dog!!!! it was so badly behaved and hyper and just awful! I never baby-sat for them again
personally, I wouldn't blame it on the dog.. I would blame it on the owners for him behaving badly.

actually, I love every animal I meet.
they are all special in their own way IMO.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I LOVE horses, they are one of my favourite animals period and I've never met a horse I didn't like ...

Well, that was until I met Boxer.

He was a mean little horse, about 14hh, solid bay with a star and a thin mane and tail. I couldn't blame him for trying to stomp my foot, for trying to bite me at every opportune moment. Getting a bridle on him was quite scary and I had to get someone to help me. In the riding ring he was a good horse once you got him going, but getting on him was a whole different matter. He hated the instructor with a passion and would literally leap at her with bared teeth and ears switched back like a horse outta hades, and usually he would lunge at her while I was on top of him! It would take a few seconds to get him under control, and then he was a calm lesson horse -- until he would see the instructor.

He was at least thirty when I rode him, so he was a very old man, a cranky old beast who just wanted to rest. When Boxer died, I cried for days because I realised that all he wanted was to be left alone. I couldn't hate him for that.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like dogs, but only when they are other peoples, and when they dont jump on me or drool! ewwwwww

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

My dad ordered take out when that dog died.

I don't care for my brother's dog, which is probably partially my brother's fault. He is untrained, whiny and will take your fingers off if you offer food.

I also don't care much for our llama, Dolly. I'm never at ease around her, and she feels the same way around us. I think much of that stems from the way her previous owner treated her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you - You relieved a lot of my guilty feelings by sharing your stories. Now the little yorkshire is snoring next to me (he snores worse than a drunk man) and i am happy for one thing. We have two cats who constantly keeps him on his place. Our Izzy doesn't mind him too much. If he lays to close to her she sniffs him and moves a bit away since he stinks.
If he is to anoying our Zasha just walks up to him and slap him in the face or place her self on a table and show him her claws if he moves. She never hurts him and she only does this when he is baging for too much attention or candy. And the dog always obey her.
I think I let her take him out tomorrow morning.