Cat wants in

kookala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tom is a 2 yo, TNR, large, tabby male and is craving loving. With severe injury to his eye and front leg he showed up several months ago half starving. After 48 hours of medical care before release he has been very mellow and patient. He doesn't fight but will use bulk or "wait them out" strategy" when dealing with other strays. My spayed female runt bats him around over food and he just shies away. I have never seen him fight back; although he often shows up with "war wounds" on his nose or ears from getting swatted before he runs aways from the younger ferals here.
Now blind in one eye and walking with a limp he has made our open front porch his "hang out". He is preens at our feet, rubs for attention and is now trying to follow me inside. He even tolerates my kids attention and noise, only moving off when they get the hose out for water play.

Is there a rescue in Phoenix,AZ that will take him and find him a home? He wants a family.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kookala

Tom is a 2 yo, TNR, large, tabby male and is craving loving. With severe injury to his eye and front leg he showed up several months ago half starving. After 48 hours of medical care before release he has been very mellow and patient. He doesn't fight but will use bulk or "wait them out" strategy" when dealing with other strays. My spayed female runt bats him around over food and he just shies away. I have never seen him fight back; although he often shows up with "war wounds" on his nose or ears from getting swatted before he runs aways from the younger ferals here.
Now blind in one eye and walking with a limp he has made our open front porch his "hang out". He is preens at our feet, rubs for attention and is now trying to follow me inside. He even tolerates my kids attention and noise, only moving off when they get the hose out for water play.

Is there a rescue in Phoenix,AZ that will take him and find him a home? He wants a family.
I don't know how things are in AZ...but it's been a difficult year in Virginia with kitten season. Although Tom is probably a great cat...he may not show well and it sounds like he needs a special kind of family. I would really suggest that you work with people you know and see if anyone is interested in taking this boy on a trial basis. Truthfully, it sounds like he has found his nitch on your porch.

Katie

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't you find room in your home and heart for him?It sounds like he gets along ok with your family and cat. He has picked you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He can't come in. We have 8 pets inside we are commited to. He deserves better than the little shelter,food and affection we provide though. He's just such a great cat I wish he had a family that would give him a real forever home.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kookala

He can't come in. We have 8 pets inside we are commited to. He deserves better than the little shelter,food and affection we provide though. He's just such a great cat I wish he had a family that would give him a real forever home.
I understand your desires..but you can see his innate sweetness....lots of people want kittens or cats that don't have medical issues...which is why a rescue may not be the best option for him. That is why I recommend trying with friends and family members.

Katie

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would a rescue in your area be willing to put him on Petfinder for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BTW~ Tom still hangs out on my porch. I bring him in for holidays and parties but, unless he follows me or the weather is foul and he needs to seek shelter out back, he doesn't leave our yard. Piper's still around too. And I added Elliot. A few more have been fixed by my traps but I don't name them or count them as mine unless they live here full time.

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please let him hang out. I have seen other people say a stray hanging around 'deserved better' and took them to the pound where they were killed. They may 'deserve better' but chances are, they aren't going to get it so don't fool yourself. There are lots of people with less than perfect lives who deserve better but we get by any way we can, so why not a cat? If he can hang out on your porch and beg for morsels, he's much better off than he'd be ignored and run off, or even worse killed at the pound for being 'unadoptable.' Too many times people allow themselves to believe fairy stories about 'nice homes' that don't really exist. In most places, a scared stray is put down immediately. Another thing- in most places, any owner surrender- an animal turned in by someone voluntarily- is the first to die because there are no holding time laws like there are for those picked up running loose who may possibly be pets. Telling them not to kill it find it a home does no good, my ex neighbors tried that with their dog. The reality is most will be put down, and strays and owner surrenders, especially full grown toms, have almost no chance at all. Really, he's better off like he is, please just let him hang around and 'chill'. At least if he's happy there he won't go anywhere dangerous.