You guys are gunna slap me....

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello again,

it's been a while since I posted, but I just thought I'd up date how my girls and boy are doing.

So, I am 85 percent sure that Misty (rescued lynx point) was bred right before I took her in. She's got very large, pink nipples and her stomach is getting harder, but she isn't getting that much bigger even though I'm feeding her kitten food. I should include that she had a litter about 10 to 12 weeks ago and I'm wondering if that's why she could still have larger nipples?. I expect that if she is preggo, then she is due (from dates give by the people who surendered her to me) in the late part of september, early October.

Now the part that you're all going to slap me for. Mittens (female snowshoe) was put outside innocently by my 3 year old son by his bedroom window. I couldn't find her for a full day. Then I finally found her hiding in a shed, but these two other black and white cats were hanging around and that's how I found her. That was July 25. I didn't worry too much because she wasn't in heat (completely stupid, I know) and now I am about 99.9 percent sure she's going to have kittens at the end of september. I was embarrassed to even type this out as it is completely my fault.

Casper ( male lynx point siamese) is schedualed for a neuter at the end of September. That's about the only positive news I have so far. He is currently seperated completely from the females. I eventually want to rehome all the kittens and Casper because he needs a single cat home. I have every reason to believe he was abused and needs one on one affection and care. I'm going to be getting help from a local rescue to rehome him.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im sure no one would want to slap you, accidents happen as many people here know, those of us with children know that we havent got eyes in the back of our head missy has just had her babies and ive probably had 8-9 scares where the kids have left the door open she hasnt gone futher than the garden but my im not always home and although they are all constantly told including the husband.
best of luck with your kitties and keep us posted

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Hello again,

it's been a while since I posted, but I just thought I'd up date how my girls and boy are doing.

So, I am 85 percent sure that Misty (rescued lynx point) was bred right before I took her in. She's got very large, pink nipples and her stomach is getting harder, but she isn't getting that much bigger even though I'm feeding her kitten food. I should include that she had a litter about 10 to 12 weeks ago and I'm wondering if that's why she could still have larger nipples?. I expect that if she is preggo, then she is due (from dates give by the people who surendered her to me) in the late part of september, early October.

Now the part that you're all going to slap me for. Mittens (female snowshoe) was put outside innocently by my 3 year old son by his bedroom window. I couldn't find her for a full day. Then I finally found her hiding in a shed, but these two other black and white cats were hanging around and that's how I found her. That was July 25. I didn't worry too much because she wasn't in heat (completely stupid, I know) and now I am about 99.9 percent sure she's going to have kittens at the end of september. I was embarrassed to even type this out as it is completely my fault.

Casper ( male lynx point siamese) is schedualed for a neuter at the end of September. That's about the only positive news I have so far. He is currently seperated completely from the females. I eventually want to rehome all the kittens and Casper because he needs a single cat home. I have every reason to believe he was abused and needs one on one affection and care. I'm going to be getting help from a local rescue to rehome him.
I don't think anyone here would slap you...however, I think it is important to take away from this the fact that no intact animals should be allowed in any situation where they could even "accidentally" get out. From this point forward, both females should be kept in a secure location where you have 24/7 control on the situation. I realize this was an accident....but we cannot joke about seriousness of breeding with intact outdoor males. You do not know their history, you do not know if they carry any diseases. For now, I would treat both females as if they are already pregnant and I would set them up with seperate rooms with kitten food, litter box and water. Make sure there is no ability for them to get out and explain to your son that those rooms are "off limit" for now.

I am glad you have a scheduled date for your male to be neutered...but I would also at this point, urge you to place both females in rooms where they can be monitored.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by michelle mayall

im sure no one would want to slap you, accidents happen as many people here know, those of us with children know that we havent got eyes in the back of our head missy has just had her babies and ive probably had 8-9 scares where the kids have left the door open she hasnt gone futher than the garden but my im not always home and although they are all constantly told including the husband.
best of luck with your kitties and keep us posted
Michelle....if you are experiencing that many scares...I would highly advise placing Misty in a room where she would have 2 doors between her and the outdoors and I would have a talk with your children about seriously of potentially letting her out again. Perhaps so far, she hasn't been interested in taking advantage of the open doors...but cats do not need to be in heat to become pregnant and a second litter so close to the first one is unadvisable. Best to not risk it at all by making sure she cannot get outside. If you have concerns about trying to keep her secure in a room..then get a large dog crate for when you aren't able to monitor her. A few weeks in a dog crate is better than a possible second pregnancy.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,

I don't exactly have room to keep them seperated fully. I can keep them apart when I'm not home (short periods of time by putting misty in the bathroom with her litter box and food (they each have their own food dishes and litter box) and Mittens has full range of the livingroom, kitchen/dinning room, and hallway with closet with her litterbox and food. I only have 2 bedrooms, one of which, is my son's bedroom/playroom and my room, which my often sleeps in. The girls tend to get along most of the time. Mittens is the dominate female (she was here first by 4 months) so she get's her way most of the time and sometimes chases Misty, but it seems more playful that fighting.

Anyways, I'm going to have wayyy to many cats/kittens. Mittens is a medium to large build and already looks huge compaired to what she was and she's still got a month to go (according to dates). I'm picking up my dog kennel (very large) for Mittens for when she has kittens. I don't know if she's ever had a litter before, but I do know that Misty has and handled it very well as well as being a surogate to another female cats kittens, so I'm going to set her up in a box in the closet. I'm thinking that Mittens may have around 6 kittens and Misty will have about 2-4 kittens because she is sooo small.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about taking the female who mated with the unknown tom cats outside in to be spayed now? I would hate to risk those kittens lives because who knows what diseses those toms might be carrying...Just an idea. That is what I do when pregnant cats come to me. Spayed immediately, don't need so many more cats brought into the world.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need slapping just because one of your kitties is pregnant! If I was in your shoes I would be soo happy! But maybe that's because I've never had a pregnant pet before...?

Anyway, you DON'T NEED SLAPPING!!

Good luck to the kitties!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

You don't need slapping just because one of your kitties is pregnant! If I was in your shoes I would be soo happy! But maybe that's because I've never had a pregnant pet before...?

Anyway, you DON'T NEED SLAPPING!!

Good luck to the kitties!!
Laura....if you are interested in fostering a pregnant cat...I'm sure your local shelter or humane society or rescue group would be thrilled. Right now...there are several cats that are not making it out of shelters because there are not enough people who are willing to foster them...and although I'm not going to go into details....there is truly a situation where there are more cats right now than homes that are willing to care for them.

Please note the forum guidelines:

As a general rule, TCS is primarily concerned with cat welfare. Because of our strong committment to responsible cat care and treatment, we do promote and strongly encourage a pro-spay/neuter policy here. Unless you are an experienced, responsible, ethical breeder of pedigreed cats, we do not advocate breeding.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't exactly have room to keep them seperated fully. I can keep them apart when I'm not home (short periods of time by putting misty in the bathroom with her litter box and food (they each have their own food dishes and litter box) and Mittens has full range of the livingroom, kitchen/dinning room, and hallway with closet with her litterbox and food. I only have 2 bedrooms, one of which, is my son's bedroom/playroom and my room, which my often sleeps in. The girls tend to get along most of the time. Mittens is the dominate female (she was here first by 4 months) so she get's her way most of the time and sometimes chases Misty, but it seems more playful that fighting.
Understood...what about a large dog crate?? One for each girl. I'm thinking of the instances where you cannot watch your son and need to confine these girls.

Katie

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea that is along the lines of what I'm getting. I already own one extra large kennel that I'm picking up from storage and I am looking into a used one right now.

My son got a very stern repremand for putting her outside and he knows that cats belong indoors only. I think he's still upset with Mittens for (in his eyes) taking Yen's place. He told me he's angry at Mittens because she made Yen not come home. (his word). I told him that Yen didn't come home because she went outside and someone else found her and took her in and are taking care of her now. He doesn't get it though.

I do have a plan for the kittens. I'm not going to ask for a fee for adpotion, but rather that the new owners spay/neuter before their kitten goes home with them. It is a huge finacial investment (around 300 dollars) so it wouldn't be like giving them away for free. I hope they don't have that many kittens, so I can manage to find new homes for them because I cannot have upwards of 10 cats here in this little place.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My son got a very stern repremand for putting her outside and he knows that cats belong indoors only.
Have you tried the little doorknob covers that keep toddlers from opening certain doors. We have them on all outside doors as well as doors to rooms we don't like our 3 years old getting in and out of. We got them to keep Annabelle from going outside (I would be scared to death if my 3-year old child opened an outside door without my knowledge), but they worked well when we found Ruby to keep my little ones out of the kitten room. Maybe that could be a temporary fix as they are cheap, about 4 for $10.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he didn't open the outside door, he put out by his bedroom window. It's close to the ground and there are steps right under it.

We do own those doorknob protectors. He's already figured out how to work them. (He will be 4 in 5 months.)so we've had to duct tape the hole in the front (if you know what I'm talking about) so he can't get his fingers inside to turn the actual knob and that's working. We don't have one on the bedrooms or bathroom doors because he needs easy access to those, but I do have them on the outside doors and the laundry room door where Casper is.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Oh, he didn't open the outside door, he put out by his bedroom window. It's close to the ground and there are steps right under it.

We do own those doorknob protectors. He's already figured out how to work them. (He will be 4 in 5 months.)so we've had to duct tape the hole in the front (if you know what I'm talking about) so he can't get his fingers inside to turn the actual knob and that's working.
Mine is starting to mess with our more and more, so I know she'll figure them out soon enough. I guess we'll have to try the duct tape too. It makes perfect sense.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Best to not risk it at all by making sure she cannot get outside.

Katie
How true! The woman I adopted Oliver from told me that his mother got out ONCE!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do have a plan for the kittens. I'm not going to ask for a fee for adpotion, but rather that the new owners spay/neuter before their kitten goes home with them. It is a huge finacial investment (around 300 dollars) so it wouldn't be like giving them away for free. I hope they don't have that many kittens, so I can manage to find new homes for them because I cannot have upwards of 10 cats here in this little place.
That sounds like a GREAT plan. The one thing you do have working in your favor is that they will be available later in the season.

Katie

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I was a little worried about the time they will be ready to go to new homes because if Mitten's kittens are born Sept 26ish then 10 to 12 weeks later puts them right at christmas/holidays and Mistys will be about either the same time or a few days apart from Mittens. It will be a nice christmas present, but I'd be worried about them once the season was over...yah know?

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this would be asking Alot, what with the season and all, but could you keep them until new years? Or let people select them around xmas, but place them a couple of weeks after, which would hopefully weed out any only for the holidays buyers.
I hope everything works out ok

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Michelle....if you are experiencing that many scares...I would highly advise placing Misty in a room where she would have 2 doors between her and the outdoors and I would have a talk with your children about seriously of potentially letting her out again. Perhaps so far, she hasn't been interested in taking advantage of the open doors...but cats do not need to be in heat to become pregnant and a second litter so close to the first one is unadvisable. Best to not risk it at all by making sure she cannot get outside. If you have concerns about trying to keep her secure in a room..then get a large dog crate for when you aren't able to monitor her. A few weeks in a dog crate is better than a possible second pregnancy.

Katie
kate we are getting there and i cant stress how much ive drumed into everyone how important it is that missy is not allowed out and the reasons why we have an open plan house and the only doors are to bedrooms and bathrooms and the outside missy gets very stressed being locked in a room we did have her in my daughters bedroom but there is now holes in the door where she has been scratching she was spending more time scrathing than nursing she prefers being with us in the main lounge not the best place but its where she is happy. i wouldnt allow her to have another litter ever as soon as the babies are weaned i will have her spayed

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by michelle mayall

kate we are getting there and i cant stress how much ive drumed into everyone how important it is that missy is not allowed out and the reasons why we have an open plan house and the only doors are to bedrooms and bathrooms and the outside missy gets very stressed being locked in a room we did have her in my daughters bedroom but there is now holes in the door where she has been scratching she was spending more time scrathing than nursing she prefers being with us in the main lounge not the best place but its where she is happy. i wouldnt allow her to have another litter ever as soon as the babies are weaned i will have her spayed
Michelle...I'm not at all worried about your commitment to have her spayed....however Missy may not share in that plan. It's not her fault either, she simply has her hormones working against you. I can understand not wanting scratching marks in your doors (thanks for at least giving that a try)....but if the scares increase...you may want to invest in a used large dog crate. At least for the moments when you cannot supervise her.

Katie

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I don't think anyone here would slap you...however, I think it is important to take away from this the fact that no intact animals should be allowed in any situation where they could even "accidentally" get out. From this point forward, both females should be kept in a secure location where you have 24/7 control on the situation. I realize this was an accident....but we cannot joke about seriousness of breeding with intact outdoor males. You do not know their history, you do not know if they carry any diseases. For now, I would treat both females as if they are already pregnant and I would set them up with seperate rooms with kitten food, litter box and water. Make sure there is no ability for them to get out and explain to your son that those rooms are "off limit" for now.

I am glad you have a scheduled date for your male to be neutered...but I would also at this point, urge you to place both females in rooms where they can be monitored.

Katie
i think it might be hard to monitor 24/7 and having a 3 yr old around its kindof hard so i think you shoud just try to be more aware of where your cats are. and if u see your son putting her in danger like that again then just take the cat from him