Really Scared About Some Medical Tests Tomorrow

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my doctor called me today and said that he wanted to have some emergency tests done on me tomorrow because my stomach issues have gotten soo much worse in the last week. I've really been having a lot of medical issues lately- severe GERD, IBS, Hiatial Hernia, Lactose Intolerence, and a possible gluten allergy...it's gotten to the point where literally everything i eat, everything, makes me very very sick. They did a colonoscopy, upper GI scop, Bravo PH monitor, CT scan, Diabetes test, and a few other tests back in April and Early August. They decided this week that since i'm still having soo many stomach issues that they will do a Gastric Emptying test on me tomorrow and a test for Celiac Disease. The Gastric Emptying Study can take several hours...and the Celiac (sp?) test is just a few blood tests- but if i do have the celiac disease....it will mean i'm allergic to Gluetin for sure...and gluetin is literally in almost every food
. So it will be really hard to shop for food, but i'll adjust if that's what it is. / I'm really nervous about tomorrow- i've felt like a gueni pig for the past 2 yrs.
I'm really scared
. I've been tested for soo much lately, and i just feel like i'm way too young to have soo many stomach issues
(i just turned 21 in July). So if anyone has any vibes to spare- they'd be very much appreciated!

This is a link that explaines what a gastric emptying study involves....it's about the only info i've gotten today aside from not eating or drinking after midnight.

http://www.medicinenet.com/gastric_e...dy/article.htm

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what its like to go through a battery of tests all at once! In about two weeks I had blood tests, an ultrasound, an occult fecal test, and a bone marrow biopsy done, and when I found I would need all that, I was so freaked out that I was crying and shaking for hours that night. Somehow you just never think things like that could happen to you, huh? But things turned out alright even though a not so nice diagnosis was predicted at first. So I will send vibes and prayers that the same thing will happen for you!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i hope that everything goes well for you in the morning.
i have seen more doc in the last 18 months then in my first 38 years. So i like many others here, i know how much all those tests can really suck and stess someone.

Even if it is Celiac Disease you will be ok, like with Diabetes you just need to change and watch your diet

Hug again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I know what its like to go through a battery of tests all at once! In about two weeks I had blood tests, an ultrasound, an occult fecal test, and a bone marrow biopsy done, and when I found I would need all that, I was so freaked out that I was crying and shaking for hours that night. Somehow you just never think things like that could happen to you, huh? But things turned out alright even though a not so nice diagnosis was predicted at first. So I will send vibes and prayers that the same thing will happen for you!
Thankyou! I really appreciate that. It's nice to know others go through similar things too when you're freakin out the night before
. Thanks for being soo sweet!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for your kind words. I really appreciate your vibes and prayers soo much right now. It usually takes a lot to freak me out, but at the moment- i'm pretty scared- i really feel like a human guenie pig....and did i mention i do horrible with needles??? So i'm already dreading the blood tests tomorrow - but i will just deal with it when i get there...i'm trying not to think about it now
. I guess right now i'm just a bit nervous...and i have a bit of a stomach ache.....they told me not to eat anything or drink anything after midnight- so from 11:30-12:00 i ate and drank everything i wanted lol - not soo wise with my stomach issues now, but oh well.
. Thank you guys for calming me down a bit. I'm staying up until the foster kittens next feeding and then i'm going to get some rest. I really appreciate everyone on TCS being so supportive

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to suggest a group that really got me through a lot-

www.ibsgroup.org

They are the Irritable Bowel Syndrome Self Help and Support Group. They have a wonderful message board and they do have supportive info geared towards people with all sorts of GI issues, not just IBS.

here is a post someone made about ibs and celiacs:

http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a...61/m/984101942

I've had a lot of tests done, but not gastric emptying study. I was 17 when I started all of the testing because they thought I had Crohn's Disease. I've had upper and lower GIs, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, endoscopy, ultra sounds, etc. done and it was an awful time, especially being so young. I know what that's all like, so if you ever need to talk you can PM me.

I will send lots of vibes your way for a speedy diagnosis, good treatment, strength, and support.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, i'd just like to add that i have a friend who was having serious digestive/bowel issues..she was really unhappy and they were doing all kinds of tests, and i felt so bad for her, cos there was nothing i could do. but eventually they figured out what it was, and after a few tries, found the right medication for her - and now she's pretty much normal and pain-free
so hopefully you will have the same end result-they'll find what's wrong and find a way to treat it

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

I'd like to suggest a group that really got me through a lot-

www.ibsgroup.org

They are the Irritable Bowel Syndrome Self Help and Support Group. They have a wonderful message board and they do have supportive info geared towards people with all sorts of GI issues, not just IBS.

here is a post someone made about ibs and celiacs:

http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a...61/m/984101942

I've had a lot of tests done, but not gastric emptying study. I was 17 when I started all of the testing because they thought I had Crohn's Disease. I've had upper and lower GIs, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, endoscopy, ultra sounds, etc. done and it was an awful time, especially being so young. I know what that's all like, so if you ever need to talk you can PM me.

I will send lots of vibes your way for a speedy diagnosis, good treatment, strength, and support.
Thankyou soo much! I'm definitely going to check out those sites. I'm having a really hard time with food and everthing that goes along with it so i'm excited to hear how others handle their issues. I really appreciate the links and vibes

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

yeah, i'd just like to add that i have a friend who was having serious digestive/bowel issues..she was really unhappy and they were doing all kinds of tests, and i felt so bad for her, cos there was nothing i could do. but eventually they figured out what it was, and after a few tries, found the right medication for her - and now she's pretty much normal and pain-free
so hopefully you will have the same end result-they'll find what's wrong and find a way to treat it
Thankyou for sharing your story. I appreciate it! The problem right now is that my GERD is soo bad ( a normal reading for someone my age and size is a 14.....three of my readings were 97,98, & 94.) My GERD is soo bad (it has caused a hiatial hernia ) that i'm currently on a double dose of acid reflux meds.....(my insurance won't cover 2 doses, so once a month my doctor and his staff gives me enough samples to last a month- they're soo sweet- i love my doctor!). The thing with GERD is that if you have IBS as well...you can't take medicine for both- it will make the problems much worse and have a bad drug interaction....so right now, i'm takinga double dose of acid reflux med (i take Zegarid....nexium,prilosec, prevacid-did nothing for me
and they aren't giving me anything from the IBS. To make matters worse- Acid reflux meds aggervate IBS symptoms, especially in my case....and my IBS is a nightmare because i was just diagnosed as being lactose intolerant and possible having a gluetin allergy- all of which make IBS worse....and they won't give me meds to manage it. So...my only options right now are to have GERD surgery to correct the acid reflux....and that way when they fix that, they can give me meds to alleviate the IBS symptoms.....OR i can keep taking the acid reflux meds and not treat the IBS which is what i'm doing now and i'm miserable. So when I have a break from school- I'm thinking about going ahead and having the GERD surgery so that I can start seeking treatment for the IBS. I know that's all confusing and an ear full- sorry
. It's still really confusing for me too....especially when they add more tests to the mix. At least i'm blessed enough to have some sort of insurance and great doctors- i'm really greatful for that.
So now i guess i will play the "guine pig" game and get tested tomorrow then wait and see the results. Well, i'm off to feed my sweet little foster kittens and distract myself. Have a lovely morning!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope all goes well for you.
Gluten free is not so bad once you get used to it, it is easier if you cook your own food, there are lots of recipies around. If you don't like cooking get someone to do it for you like my friend does
(me)
Anne

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

Hope all goes well for you.
Gluten free is not so bad once you get used to it, it is easier if you cook your own food, there are lots of recipies around. If you don't like cooking get someone to do it for you like my friend does
(me)
Anne
Well, i've already bought a few gluten free/dairy free things from Wild Oats...to acclimate my taste buds to them if that if i do indeed wind up with that allergy. I certainly agree- it's definitely better when you cook it on your own
. I like to cook so that isn't an issue- i don't mind cooking some things on the weekends and freezing them for later...however time is an issue, i'm starting back to college on Monday (perfect timing
) and when i'm between classes it's impossible to find gluetin free stuff...so i'm going to try and bring some things with me...I have to eat every few hours with the Vertigo stuff anyways, so maybe it won't be too bad
. I'm trying to be positive about the gluetin free stuff....but it's definitely "different" to say the least.
I do like the soy ice cream though
. Well, i just finished up feeding my sassy little foster kittens- lol they certainly are getting to be little sassy pants in their "old age"- it's adorable lol...so i'm going to try and get some rest before my tests tomorrow. I really appreciate your well wishes and vibes
. I am going in as an out-patient to the hospital at 11:00am tomorrow...the test there should take a few hours...and after that i have to go to my Gastro's office for some blood work to do a Celica (sp?) test...then i'll be able to go home
. I'll update the thread after my tests tomorrow. Have a good one

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get potato flour and use that 50/50 with gluten free flour things are nicer, not so 'heavy'

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had pains for years that no doctor has diagnosed yet, so I know how you feel about the guiney pig thing.......hang in there Honey andremember we're all with you during your tests today...........let us know how it goes......

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. Sending lots of prayers your way.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you have been going through this rough patch latley. Sending you lots of well wishes for your medical test today

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Darling, it sounds like you have one screwed up digestive system. I'm sending vibes to give you strength for the tests and that they find out what the best treatment for you is.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I'm so sorry that you have been going through this rough patch latley. Sending you lots of well wishes for your medical test today
exactly what she said